View Full Version : Magical items as focus

Dark Schneider
2019-01-10, 05:51 AM
I ignored it because I didn't see them very handful, because size and others, but now I have been thinking about the arcane focus: Wand, Rod and Staff.
We have some magical items that indeed are those kind of items, then I think it was very normal that when creating them was also a focus, it adds an insignificant ammount to the cost for not doing it.

Then I am thinking about that any magical item it is also a focus (if the same type than required). I consider it pretty normal.

I.e. a Wand of Magic Missile is also an arcane focus (if made by yaw it could also be a druidic focus, but don't know well how to determine it).

Porcupinata
2019-01-10, 06:28 AM
I've always assumed that magical items can act as a focus of their type, but I have to be honest that that's an assumption. I've never seen an actual rule for or against (but then I've not looked hard for one).

Wilko
2019-01-10, 08:11 AM
I've always assumed that they counted as well, my assumption is that in the same way that a flame tongue has magical properties but still has all the abilities of a sword, something like a wand of magic missiles has magic properties but is at the same time a wand, and can do anything a wand can such as being used as a spell-casting focus.

Otherwise you would end up with the silly image of a wizard duel wielding his Staff of the Magi in one hand and his "Normal" focus staff in the other

Sigreid
2019-01-10, 08:20 AM
In the DMG it says they count as a focus

Coffee_Dragon
2019-01-10, 08:22 AM
I had a thread on this here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?520114-Druid-staffs-Staves).

Dark Schneider
2019-01-10, 09:33 AM
In the DMG it says they count as a focus
If that so I am blind I think @_@

Sigreid
2019-01-10, 09:36 AM
If that so I am blind I think @_@

AFB, and it's been a while since I had to read it but I believe it was in the section just before where the magic rods, staves and wands start being described.

Edit: For what it's worth, in the Fantasy Grounds port of the rules the descriptions for all the magic wands etc. Call them out as focuses. Take that for what you will.