PDA

View Full Version : He came from the 4th World: Another Dragonborn variant

Merl the Pearl
2019-01-10, 06:34 AM
Greetings. I have a friend, huge fan of the Drakes from Battle for Wesnoth. So we decided to re-create the race for him as it was in 4th Edition, in spirit.

Dragonborn Traits
Your draconic heritage manifests in a variety of traits you share with other dragonborn.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1, and your Constitution score increases by 1.
Age. Young dragonborn grow quickly. They walk hours after hatching, attain the size and development of a 10-year old human child by the age o f 3, and reach adulthood by 15. They live to be around 80.
Alignment. Dragonborn tend to extremes, making a conscious choice for one side or the other in the cosmic war between good and evil (represented by Bahamut and Tiamat, respectively). Most dragonborn are good, but those w ho side with Tiamat can be terrible villains.
Size. Dragonborn are taller and heavier than humans, standing w ell over 6 feet tall and averaging almost 250 pounds. Your size is Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet o f you as if it w ere bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades o f gray.
Many Skills. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill, the Arcana skill and the History skill.
Natural Weapons. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 damage on a hit.
Draconic Ancestry. You have draconic ancestry.
Choose one type o f dragon from the Draconic Ancestry table. Your breath weapon and damage resistance are determined by the dragon type, as shown in the table.
Breath Weapon. You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. Your draconic ancestry determines the size, shape, and damage type of the exhalation. When you use your breath w eapon, each creature in the area o f the exhalation must make a saving throw, the type o f which is determined by your draconic ancestry. The DC for this saving throw equals 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level.
After you use your breath weapon, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Damage Resistance. You have resistance to the damage type associated with your draconic ancestry.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic. Draconic is thought to be one o f the oldest languages and is often used in the study o f magic.
The language sounds harsh to most other creatures and includes numerous hard consonants and sibilants.

Draconic Ancestry
Dragon Damage Type Breath Weapon
Black Acid 30 ft. Line (Dex. save)
Blue Lightning 30 ft. Line (Dex. save)
Brass Fire 30 ft. Line (Dex. save)
Bronze Lightning 30 ft. Line (Dex. save)
Copper Acid 30 ft. Line (Dex. save)
Gold Fire 15 ft. Cone (Dex. save)
Green Poison 15 ft. Cone (Con. save)
Red Fire 15 ft. Cone (Dex. save)
Silver Cold 15 ft. Cone (Con. save)
White Cold 15 ft. Cone (Con. save)

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-10, 07:28 AM
It's pretty much a straight upgrade from the RAW Dragonborn, which is on the weak side, so you have some wiggle room. Darkvision and the natural weapons aren't a problem; the skills, on the other hand... that's a lot of skills. I'd feel better if it was 'pick one of the following.'

Merl the Pearl
2019-01-11, 03:22 PM
Yes, that many skills can be intimidating to look at and may be balance-wise unviable. So I'd fix it this way: Proficiencies: History, Intimidation + one of the following: Arcana or Athletics. How would that be for a little fix.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-11, 04:14 PM
Yes, that many skills can be intimidating to look at and may be balance-wise unviable. So I'd fix it this way: Proficiencies: History, Intimidation + one of the following: Arcana or Athletics. How would that be for a little fix.
That's... the same number of skills. I'd go with "You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, Athletics, History, Intimidation."

Merl the Pearl
2019-01-12, 04:55 AM
That's... the same number of skills. I'd go with "You gain proficiency with two of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, Athletics, History, Intimidation."
PERFECTION! Thank you very much!