PDA

View Full Version : Glamour Bard Shephard Druid?

Aaedimus
2019-01-10, 11:16 AM
I was thinking about it, and thought this might be a pretty cool support concept. A crapton of temp health, paired along with versatility and strong summons.

Not needing a super optimized character, I was feeling a Lizardfolk Bard whos music was Tibetan throat singing would be epic. Hearing the otherworldly throat signing as you begin battle or slip through a marsh sounds badass.

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-10, 12:23 PM
I was thinking about it, and thought this might be a pretty cool support concept. A crapton of temp health, paired along with versatility and strong summons.

Not needing a super optimized character, I was feeling a Lizardfolk Bard whos music was Tibetan throat singing would be epic. Hearing the otherworldly throat signing as you begin battle or slip through a marsh sounds badass.

It's a really cool idea. The temporary hitpoints would really help keep your summons alive. My main issue is that it's a pretty high level requirement, not really coming online until about level 9.

I would definitely see this as an interesting NPC, giving a real Yisan, the Wanderer Bard (http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=383442) kinda vibe.

In my own campaigns, I allow my players to use alternate modifiers for classes, as long as their concept is sound. I'd definitely allow a Shephard Druid to use Charisma for their casting modifier, which ties in with your concept pretty well.

I'd focus on Bard at first, if you had a smaller team (3-4 players), or focus on Druid if you had a large team (5+ players).

Snowbluff
2019-01-10, 01:04 PM
I think it's an easy split with 10/10. 10 gets you 11 THP on the Glamour Bard, and gives you Mighty Summons and Guardian Spirit.

A good checkpoint for the build would be 6 Druid and 5 Bard. This gives you the Short Rest recovery on the bardic inspiration, and as well as 8 THP. The Druid gets Might Summons and Conjure Animal at this point as well.

For me, I would say focus on defense. You should maximize Dex, Con, and Cha. 2-3 ASI should go to Cha to max it out for more Bardic Inspiration, and then grab some saves from Resilient (Con for Concentration checks, and Dex for avoiding damage). Wisdom really only need to be 13, maybe 14 if you want a point towards Wis saves and perception to avoid being spellt and ambushed.

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 11:12 AM
Bard14 Druid 6 was my thinking.

So, I'm thinking that thematically his backstory would be either a restless Lizardfolk Druid came by a group of monks and found peace in meditation, eventually discovering a power in their chanting and now travels mixing his animalistic, nature abilities with the power he discovered in the monastery (or with a single hermit monk traveling through the marsh?)
Or, that this chanting is part of the magic of the Lizardfolk tribe he comes from, and this is part of the religion he was born into.

Either way, he would at all times prefer hiding, and stalking to fighting face on... a pair of yellow green eyes coming from the leaves of the marsh as an otherworldly sound echoes from every direction.... or as is seems as if a fight is about to start, you hear that chant as he slips stepping backwards into the shadows.

The Guardian Spirits he summons join in with his chanting, giving every combat with him an eerie and almost frightening tone. (I'm the DM btw, might be fun as a pair character, but also thinking about making him an NPC)

Imagine after trecking through the marsh for days you hear this coming from every direction, knowing from the town nearby that the Lizardfolk use horns and drums to worship prior to combat, than as the voices start to rise (about 2:30) Lizardfolk start slowly coming out from the bushes and trees, stalking the party. What would you do when you heard the chanting?

https://youtu.be/GslzWvQRiJg

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-11, 11:17 AM
Thinking 20 levels ahead is fine, but I think it's more important to focus on benchmarks/goals to hit rather than a blanket level 20 build. Specifically, this character can't summon anything until at least level 5. The early Bard levels will provide benefits for a smaller team than the aura of the Druid, but once the Druid half hits level 5/6, it can almost be a solo character. The Druid has more Concentration spells and AoE, but the Bard has more talents and social abilities that make him stand out well. You could level both sides evenly, and while that'd make you consistent throughout the day, it'd mean that you'll be pretty far behind on higher level spells (including summoning).

So I'd suggest that you look into what suits you more and work from there: 5-6 levels into Bard for social events and a small party, or 5-6 levels into Druid to rush for summoning or buffing a large party.

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 11:30 AM
I've got progression fine. Was more asking for advice on narrative concept than build