PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level Up! To Feat or Not to Feat?

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 12:36 PM
It might be time to level up tonight, and I'd like input on some feats I'm considering for my Wizard. Briefly here's some stats:

STR: 13 DEX: 18 CON: 15 INT: 18 WIS: 15 CHA: 16 (We rolled for stats okay?)

Deep Gnome, Far Traveler: Fashion Designer. Male Model. Elf-friend. Silver Tongue. Opportunist. Entreprenuer. Industry Mogul. Prime Minister. Founding Father.

Alert Feat: +5 to initiative and other stuff that has been useful/fun. Getting to go first most of the time has been awesome as a caster.

Proficiencies: Arcana (7), Insight (5), Investigation (7), Perception (5)

Most of my spells are control based with a few damage spells sprinkled throughout (Fire Bolt, Ice Knife, Magic Missile, Flaming Sphere, Earthen Grasp, Fireball, Minute Meteors).

I'm thinking about Larz and what would be most fun. I have Wand of the War Mage, so I won't be taking Spell Sniper. Here's the feats I'm considering over an ASI. I'm not that concerned with the extra spell prepared at 20 INT b/c my DM isn't strict about prepared spells as long as I'm not casting 14 different spells/day or something. Still I could be convinced to go with the ASI if someone else has a good/fun reason. Also, multiclassing? Possibly, but it would have to be for fun/to fit the character rather than trying to optimize. In no particular order:

1) War Caster if I wanted to focus on combat prowess. This is probably least likely, but still a good and fun option.

2) Observant: Having passive perception of 20 and investigation of 22 would be pretty fun and fit the character well. Plus I get a point in INT.

3) Keen Mind: The other half feat I'm thinking about. Spell book rulings aside, being able to have 30 day perfect recall could potentially be really great in our campaign and once again fits the character concept really well.

4) Linguist: Ciphers are fun and 1 to INT is great too. 3 languages would be great since we're establishing a trade port in the middle of the continent. It should be well on its way within a couple of weeks game time. We're expecting travelers from all over the continent soon enough. This is more of a flavor decision than anything, so I'd probably wait on it if I went this route.

So what do you think? Any other feats you think I've overlooked? What would you take and why? Should I do an ASI instead?

DeTess
2019-01-10, 12:39 PM
What about resilient: CON? It'll increase your constitution modifier, and make those concentration saves easier.

Sigreid
2019-01-10, 12:40 PM
What is your wizard subclass? If it is abjuration, deep gnome magic will give you some cool toys and let you recharge your ward for free.

Zanthy1
2019-01-10, 12:43 PM
What is your wizard subclass? If it is abjuration, deep gnome magic will give you some cool toys and let you recharge your ward for free.

Seconding this idea

Willie the Duck
2019-01-10, 12:45 PM
+1 Str/+1 Wis, and the roleplay the heck out of the adventuring life making the guy more athletic and cautious. Probably up there with Linguist as a flavor decision (excluding saves), but still...

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-10, 12:46 PM
Based on what you're describing, I'd honestly say going in an alternate direction would be a lot of fun.

Specifically, see how strict your DM is on using alternate ability scores for skills, like Performance + Intelligence. Actor seems like it'd almost be right up your alley. Alternatively, 1-2 levels into Bard could really flesh out your character's control options while improving your number of skills and talents for the party.

Azgeroth
2019-01-10, 01:15 PM
Seconding this idea

thirding! thats a thing right?? otherwise, i agree, deep gnome magic.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 01:16 PM
What about resilient: CON? It'll increase your constitution modifier, and make those concentration saves easier.

I've thought about this too, but ultimately I'm looking for something with some "flash" if you will. Resilient just seems to be lacking in that area imo.

Nah, I'm an Illusionist. I'd probably have picked that up at Level 4 if I was abjuration though.

+1 Str/+1 Wis, and the roleplay the heck out of the adventuring life making the guy more athletic and cautious. Probably up there with Linguist as a flavor decision (excluding saves), but still...

I like this idea and will now add it to the list moving forward. I like the idea of "feeling myself" and trying to outfight the Goliath Rogue with 20 STR.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 01:20 PM
Based on what you're describing, I'd honestly say going in an alternate direction would be a lot of fun.

Specifically, see how strict your DM is on using alternate ability scores for skills, like Performance + Intelligence. Actor seems like it'd almost be right up your alley. Alternatively, 1-2 levels into Bard could really flesh out your character's control options while improving your number of skills and talents for the party.

Haha, I actually thought about this when I woke up this morning. Just taking actor and using CHA, but I can ask about using it with INT instead potentially. I was just imagining Larz's high pitched, eastern European voice trying to imitate a deep voice.

I like the idea of Bard actually. I'll have to look into that, though it might make sense to wait a level to go ahead and get the goods from Level 8 I suppose.

djreynolds
2019-01-10, 01:25 PM
Are u bored?

1 level of knowledge cleric, of Gond, could be very beneficial.

And then next level max out intelligence

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 02:56 PM
Are u bored?

1 level of knowledge cleric, of Gond, could be very beneficial.

And then next level max out intelligence

Not sure what you're asking about as far as being bored, but I don't think Cleric makes much sense for my character. He's not really super reverent.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-10, 03:07 PM
Thematically: Magic Initiate Druid.

Take Goodberry as your level 1 spell. Best way to stay in shape and become ripped is to eat almost nothing and stay fit.
For Cantrips: Really whatever you want.

Mechanically: +1 Con +1 wis, or just Resil: Con.

Keravath
2019-01-10, 04:00 PM
With those stats you can do anything :)

Consider a 2 level dip in fey warlock ...
- fey - the ultimate elves - the ultimate in grace, the pinnacle for fashion design - never mind that sprites are just so darn cute
- at will disguise self - look like whoever you like whenever you like
- at will silent image - create illusions whenever you like .. no more spell slot restrictions
- an intimidating or charming presence as befits your current situation :)

Could do a lot with a 2 level fey warlock dip :) and two short rest spell slots would at least supplement your arcane recovery.

However, you might want to save that option for later depending on what level you think the campaign will reach.

You mentioned a lot of control spells ... nothing is worse for making an easy situation go sideways than having the wizard fail a concentration check on a spell locking down half the opponents. This is the main reason my bard started with resilient con ... with a bunch of badies locked down with hypnotic pattern ... I don't want to fail a save.

Mechanically this might argue in favor of resilient con or war caster as a most useful but less exciting option.

In the same vein, I find that for many casters, maxing out the casting stat as soon as reasonable makes A LOT of sense. Maxing your spell save DC or to hit modifier means that you are more effective at everything. Monster saves will be getting better and although +1 doesn't seem like much sometimes ... for a spell DC that can lock a target down for potentially multiple turns ... it can be very important to make that DC as high as possible. So there is a very good argument for just taking the ASI and be done with it. The other reason to choose ASI is that you then don't need to worry about what to pick :) ... you KNOW that you will want to increase your int to maximum with one of your remaining ASI ... doing it now never hurts AND opens it up so you can see what might be most useful as your play evolves through the end of tier 2 and into tier 3.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-10, 04:04 PM
With those stats you can do anything :)

Consider a 2 level dip in fey warlock ...
- fey - the ultimate elves - the ultimate in grace, the pinnacle for fashion design - never mind that sprites are just so darn cute
- at will disguise self - look like whoever you like whenever you like
- at will silent image - create illusions whenever you like .. no more spell slot restrictions
- an intimidating or charming presence as befits your current situation :)

Could do a lot with a 2 level fey warlock dip :) and two short rest spell slots would at least supplement your arcane recovery.

However, you might want to save that option for later depending on what level you think the campaign will reach.

You mentioned a lot of control spells ... nothing is worse for making an easy situation go sideways than having the wizard fail a concentration check on a spell locking down half the opponents. This is the main reason my bard started with resilient con ... with a bunch of badies locked down with hypnotic pattern ... I don't want to fail a save.

Mechanically this might argue in favor of resilient con or war caster as a most useful but less exciting option.

In the same vein, I find that for many casters, maxing out the casting stat as soon as reasonable makes A LOT of sense. Maxing your spell save DC or to hit modifier means that you are more effective at everything. Monster saves will be getting better and although +1 doesn't seem like much sometimes ... for a spell DC that can lock a target down for potentially multiple turns ... it can be very important to make that DC as high as possible. So there is a very good argument for just taking the ASI and be done with it. The other reason to choose ASI is that you then don't need to worry about what to pick :) ... you KNOW that you will want to increase your int to maximum with one of your remaining ASI ... doing it now never hurts AND opens it up so you can see what might be most useful as your play evolves through the end of tier 2 and into tier 3.

That's a great argument for the ASI, and I hadn't considered a fey warlock so I'll have to look into that now. Seems like a ton of fun potentially!

RedMage125
2019-01-11, 11:32 AM
If you're thinking of an ASI, I'd say either boost INT by 2, or do a single boost to both CON and WIS, to improve both saves, Perception checks, and hit points.

That said, Resilient CON is outstanding for a feat choice. Being proficient in CON saves with a high modifier is great. And as a bonus, the boost to your modifier nets you an extra hit point per level.