PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Permanent modifications

Fynzmirs
2019-01-10, 12:40 PM
As in the title, I'm looking for spells/items/abilities that allow to apply a permanent modification to a creature other than the caster (so no personal-range spells). I'm working to create a biomancer-type formian spellcaster. I know about Sibriex ability to apply grafts, as well as about grafts in general. There are also things like true/baleful polymorph spells but that's not exactly what I am looking for.

Any help appreciated.

Kelb_Panthera
2019-01-10, 01:10 PM
Grafts. There's a Handbook floating around the forum somewhere.

Fynzmirs
2019-01-10, 01:34 PM
Thanks, but I said I know about grafts.

Ruethgar
2019-01-10, 01:46 PM
Mineral Warriors have a spell to apply the template and I think there’s one for fiendish or half fiend. If you’ve the knowledge and means to apply it, the Dragonspawn(Abomination) templates are also a twisting of an existing creature. The SS rules for changing races are also a bit wonky, it doesn’t say Natural abilities are lost so there can be some strange hybrids from that. Dark Chaos Shuffle under a compulsion can let you force them to take Willing Deformities or Aberration Blood which can twist the body pretty horribly.

It’s Homebrew, but Welknair’s Emergent Atrocity bloodline dose mutants pretty well. While on the subject, Gramarie Mark II can make monsters however you like.

Falontani
2019-01-10, 03:02 PM
Third party book for 3e, but crossbreeding flesh and Blood is a very handy tool if you want to let players or npcs make some strange chimeras, although it is possible to become incredibly powerful rather quickly with it if you focus on enhancing yourself. Making the process illegal or very much frowned upon you can balance it with fluff.

Kalkra
2019-01-10, 03:17 PM
Sculpt Self is good, if you can give it to others.

Zaq
2019-01-11, 01:45 AM
They're pretty darned specific, but there's planar familiar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011020a) and elemental familiar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a). Both of which have really weird requirements (you have to have a familiar—or, for planar familiar, something similar—but you don't have to cast the spell on your familiar), but that's online spells for you.

There's also mantle of the fiery spirit (found in Sandstorm) and the Frostburn version of mantle of the icy soul. (Okay, technically the Spell Compendium version of mantle of the icy soul supersedes the Frostburn version, but at least a couple of GMs I've played with have agreed that it's dumb that icy soul got nerfed and fiery spirit didn't, so they allowed the un-nerfed version of icy soul to still exist, including the XP cost.)

If your target is a giant or is affected by spells as though they were a giant, Eberron Campaign Setting gives us the delightfully insane return to nature.

Not a spell and also completely borked, but the utterance ether reforged can "instantaneously" (read: super-permanently) let the target affect incorporeal things. Or instantaneously make them ethereal, which has implications. As I said, completely borked. Use at your own peril.

Thurbane
2019-01-11, 01:53 AM
Mineral Warriors have a spell to apply the template and I think there’s one for fiendish or half fiend.

Nar Fiendbond, Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7: LeOF p.32. Permanently adds the half-fiend template to a humanoid.

There's also Vile Death Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9 (SC p.229), that permanently adds the fiendish template to an undead.

Zaq
2019-01-11, 01:55 AM
How could we forget all the various awaken spells? Those are all (I think?) permanent/instantaneous.

flappeercraft
2019-01-11, 03:26 AM
Mineral Warriors have a spell to apply the template

That would be Mineralize Warrior from Underdark.