PDA

View Full Version : Paper miniature printing question

acctingman
2019-01-10, 02:37 PM
Not sure this is the right forum, but....

I'm very new to this, but.....I have 100+ pdf's with monsters/npc's/animals, however, I don't need to print off every sheet. There are sheets that have only 1 or 2 creatures I need. What is the best way to compile all the creatures I need so I can print efficiently and not waste paper/ink
Is there a way to do this that does NOT involve PS or GIMP?

Thanks

LordEntrails
2019-01-10, 02:43 PM
No. You can print single pages from the PDF, but not parts of the page.

Gimp, 3D Paint, Paint.net, PowerPoint, Word, etc can all cut and paste images from the pdf and put them on a new page so you get only the parts you want to print.

It's really not that hard, you should try it. Just open up your pdf and Word (or whatever document tool you like). Start your snipping tool (Windows snipping tool, or Greenshot or whatever). Cut-Paste, to your heart's content.

willdaBEAST
2019-01-10, 04:16 PM
What I've done is create a 1" grid in an empty document (I use pages), I then trim or shrink images into 1" x 1" squares for tokens (2" x 2" for large, 3" x 3" for huge, etc), use leftover space to print larger versions of key NPCs or images and then print out sheets on matte paper.

The matte paper prints well and has a lot more integrity than normal paper, so these tokens work extremely well on a grid.

You could double-side print them and put them on little stands if you want to get fancy, but I haven't felt the need.

acctingman
2019-01-10, 04:34 PM
What I've done is create a 1" grid in an empty document (I use pages), I then trim or shrink images into 1" x 1" squares for tokens (2" x 2" for large, 3" x 3" for huge, etc), use leftover space to print larger versions of key NPCs or images and then print out sheets on matte paper.

The matte paper prints well and has a lot more integrity than normal paper, so these tokens work extremely well on a grid.

You could double-side print them and put them on little stands if you want to get fancy, but I haven't felt the need.

What program are you using to do this?

willdaBEAST
2019-01-10, 07:44 PM
"Pages" on OSX, but any word processor that can deal with images should work. I used the built in rulers to create my grid.

Laserlight
2019-01-10, 08:06 PM
I make a grid with cells 1.1 x 1.1" (to allow margin for cutting) in Libre Office's word processor, then change the background of each cell to the image each character is using. Print, then use a 1" circular paper punch to make a token. Get felt 1" circles (furniture feet) and stick the paper tokens on them.

I can usually find clip art online that works for each character, so usually don't need to bother with clipping screen captures from a pdf. For the monsters, I just have different numbered and colored sets. In the first fight, Red 11-18 might be fire cultists and Green 21-22 might be demons; in the next fight, those same tokens might be kobolds and dragon born sorcerers.