PDA

View Full Version : The Alchemist and the Black Dragon Corpse

Palanan
2019-01-10, 08:21 PM
Due to complicated events, the party’s alchemist now has the fresh corpse of a wyrmling black dragon. I was planning on the dragon being a minor running villain, but it got Aggressive Thunderclouded before its time.

So, the alchemist has been happily dissecting the dragon FOR SCIENCE!! as well as for anything valuable that can be extracted. My question is…can anything valuable be extracted? Are there any game rules about what you can make from a dead black dragon?

ViperMagnum357
2019-01-10, 08:54 PM
What you want is in Dragon Magazine #332, the article appropriately titled 'Cutting up the Dragon'. That article provides mechanics for using bits from True Dragons beyond armor, ranging from weapons and instruments to power components.

DrMotives
2019-01-10, 10:37 PM
What you want is in Dragon Magazine #332, the article appropriately titled 'Cutting up the Dragon'. That article provides mechanics for using bits from True Dragons beyond armor, ranging from weapons and instruments to power components.

Yup, and that whole article is intended to supplement & expand on the relevant portion of Draconomicon, which talks about armor, bows, melee weapons, and cloaks. But the boats, elixirs, and other things are fair game.

Plus, you can always go off-books. Have a character in my group currently building an ornithopter (Leo DaVinci-style flying machine) out of a dragon skeleton for the frame.

ShurikVch
2019-01-11, 07:39 AM
Also, draconic grafts (Races of the Dragon): from a corpse of a wyrmling black dragon, you may take materials for grafting Glaring Eye, Frightful Crest, or Taloned Arm

Palanan
2019-01-11, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357

Absolutely invaluable, thank you. The alchemist may swoon. :smalltongue:

Originally Posted by ShurikVch
Also, draconic grafts....

Thanks, I'll look into that too.