PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Help making The Ring of Bad Influence - A magic item to torment/entertain my players

Teagana
2019-01-10, 09:14 PM
So this morning I came up with the start of a magic item to torment my players with, but it could use some input:

Ring of bad influence (or a name that doesn't give away that it's a bad idea to wear it, maybe just ring of influence)

cursed and probably sentient, not sure about rarity, something appropriate for a tier 2 party.

While wearing the ring, if a player suggests a plan that's a poor idea(an idea that the ring thinks will be fun[ny] to watch), the ring glows, and also begins to attempt to talk the player into it and why it's a great idea that will be exciting (and entertaining to the ring). Maybe requires a wisdom save against a charm that convinces you that this is obviously the best idea that will get you rich/get the princess to fall in love with you/etc.

Once they put it on, they can't take it off until it's targeted by remove curse, or similar?

And then I need an ability that will get a player to put it on, maybe advantage on persuasion checks as the ring lends it's magic to assist you with them, all CHA-persuasion seems appropriate, as an uncommon item exists that does the same for stealth.

Currently, my party is spread through levels 5 and 6.

Help balancing this or comment on whether it is balanced would be appreciated.

John Out West
2019-01-10, 10:13 PM
Seems fine at the moment. I might make it so that the bearer of the ring benefits from its power, so that the bearer can convince people to go with bad plans too. (making them do a Wis Save)

Teagana
2019-01-11, 02:43 AM
Seems fine at the moment. I might make it so that the bearer of the ring benefits from its power, so that the bearer can convince people to go with bad plans too. (making them do a Wis Save)

Ooh, I like that.

noob
2019-01-11, 11:05 AM
So this morning I came up with the start of a magic item to torment my players with, but it could use some input:

Ring of bad influence (or a name that doesn't give away that it's a bad idea to wear it, maybe just ring of influence)

cursed and probably sentient, not sure about rarity, something appropriate for a tier 2 party.

While wearing the ring, if a player suggests a plan that's a poor idea(an idea that the ring thinks will be fun[ny] to watch), the ring glows, and also begins to attempt to talk the player into it and why it's a great idea that will be exciting (and entertaining to the ring). Maybe requires a wisdom save against a charm that convinces you that this is obviously the best idea that will get you rich/get the princess to fall in love with you/etc.

Once they put it on, they can't take it off until it's targeted by remove curse, or similar?

And then I need an ability that will get a player to put it on, maybe advantage on persuasion checks as the ring lends it's magic to assist you with them, all CHA-persuasion seems appropriate, as an uncommon item exists that does the same for stealth.

Currently, my party is spread through levels 5 and 6.

Help balancing this or comment on whether it is balanced would be appreciated.

Wait why would they need a ring to do that while a normal adventurer behaves that way by default?
Or do bad plan means for you "rational and safe way to do things that does not ends up in wanton destruction and death and that have a high chance of working"

The Cats
2019-01-11, 02:55 PM
This could result in your players policing themselves to make sure they never throw out any stupid ideas just to make each other laugh because they might be forced to go through with it. Inadvertent fun-reduction.

I can think of a way to get a similar effect without having to worry about the above involving adding new flaws on the wearer's personality and forcing a wisdom save whenever an opportunity to act on that flaw presents but the player doesn't go for it.

Granted I think my party would enjoy the current version for a session or two before getting irritated by it, and you know your players better than I do so do what you want.

As for the benefit, bonuses to charisma whatever seems to fit. Something about wisdom saves would be thematic too, since the wearer is 'bent to the ring's will' and the ring doesn't want competition.

Mechalobster
2019-01-12, 12:09 AM
Here's an idea: what if the Ring gave a circumstance bonus to the wielder who suggested the idea on any skill checks made to enact it? The stupider the idea, the bigger the circumstance bonus.

Teagana
2019-01-12, 04:40 PM
Wait why would they need a ring to do that while a normal adventurer behaves that way by default?
Or do bad plan means for you "rational and safe way to do things that does not ends up in wanton destruction and death and that have a high chance of working"

Because the party has been entirely too rational and safe with their plans. I want to encourage them, if only for a few sessions, to enact plans that will fall apart and force them to think on their feet. I think they'll like the bonus xp.

Teagana
2019-01-12, 05:00 PM
This could result in your players policing themselves to make sure they never throw out any stupid ideas just to make each other laugh because they might be forced to go through with it. Inadvertent fun-reduction.

I can think of a way to get a similar effect without having to worry about the above involving adding new flaws on the wearer's personality and forcing a wisdom save whenever an opportunity to act on that flaw presents but the player doesn't go for it.

Granted I think my party would enjoy the current version for a session or two before getting irritated by it, and you know your players better than I do so do what you want.

As for the benefit, bonuses to charisma whatever seems to fit. Something about wisdom saves would be thematic too, since the wearer is 'bent to the ring's will' and the ring doesn't want competition.

It could, but they need to figure out that's what it does first. The player I expect to get it is good at not metagaming knowledge like that, so I think it should be entertaining for at least a few sessions before they figure it out and deal with it.

I need to think about the wisdom save, while I like the idea of the ring not wanting competition, help with wisdom saves would make the ring desirable to players who wouldn't use it well, while just persuasion checks means the charisma casters will go for it, and I think both the paladin and warlock players will be onboard for the roleplay of it, for a while, at least.

Teagana
2019-01-12, 05:03 PM
Here's an idea: what if the Ring gave a circumstance bonus to the wielder who suggested the idea on any skill checks made to enact it? The stupider the idea, the bigger the circumstance bonus.

Ooh, that could be interesting, and it would be encouraging.

"Look, this plan has a higher chance of working because I'll help you with it! Really, it does!"

noob
2019-01-12, 05:59 PM
Ooh, that could be interesting, and it would be encouraging.

"Look, this plan has a higher chance of working because I'll help you with it! Really, it does!"

And since adventurers always use hilarious plans that makes no sense it would not change much their behavior.