PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Summoned Creatures?

DiscipleofBob
2019-01-10, 11:54 PM
What are some common (or even an uncommon) summoned creatures in 5e?

I’m trying to run a dungeon this weekend with the running theme of a Conjuration Wizard’s failed spells running amok. I’m including lots of demons, probably some elementals, and a few homebrew surprises like a swarm of Feral Unseen Servants. Other summons cast in the dungeon like the Paladin’s Find Steed and familiars are also going to berserk thanks to the weird magicks in the dungeon.

Are there any other commonly summoned creatures or similar things I can use? Thanks in advance.

Galithar
2019-01-11, 12:11 AM
The most common summons are familiars (already listed) and beasts, summoned by Druids.
As for theming it off a wizard I think Animated objects would be thematic.

While technically the spell animate objects is transmutation I don't think it would be bad to use them anyways, even refluffing THESE animated objects as summoned unseen servants/spirits that are possessing the objects if needed.

Animated shields, swords, and suits if armor gives a real 'magic run amok' feel to me.

HappyDaze
2019-01-11, 11:39 AM
The most common summons are familiars (already listed) and beasts, summoned by Druids.
As for theming it off a wizard I think Animated objects would be thematic.

While technically the spell animate objects is transmutation I don't think it would be bad to use them anyways, even refluffing THESE animated objects as summoned unseen servants/spirits that are possessing the objects if needed.

Animated shields, swords, and suits if armor gives a real 'magic run amok' feel to me.

I had a "pack" of animated objects--a table, four chairs, and a tablecloth--that were hellishly effective. The tablecloth goes for the grapple and tries to blind/smother their prey while the chairs butt at the target with their chairbacks and the table charges like a raging bull. It was great fun when the barbarian blundered into the dining room and got attacked. The other PCs actually hesitated for a turn in awe of the spectacle before jumping in to help.

DiscipleofBob
2019-01-11, 01:38 PM
I can’t do too many animated objects unfortunately. Not only am I saving a lot of those for a Transmutation themed dungeon later (the campaign largely involves a separate dungeon for each school of magic), but I’ve been using animated objects a lot in this campaign. The fighter is psychologically scarred by teapots at this point.

Familiars and corrupted beasts seem to be my best bet so far.

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 03:08 PM
Is it just conjuration focused or specifically summon focused, because there are allot of fun conjuration spells.

Fog cloud, grease, web, stinking cloud, Evard's Black Tenticles, Mordenkain's Faithful Hound (since they're invisible that could be fun) Cloudkill, Watery Sphere, than obviously summoning creatures, Fey, elementals, demons, and possibly celestials.

Planeshift, Gate, Teleport, Teleportation Circle, Leomunds secret chest, and Dimension Door are conjuration too.

You could have the summons running around while all of these effects are going off everywhere. Make it a maze area, and they can choose to walk through dimension doors that can get them lost and/or split them up, they run into a room and a chest pops into existence. Than another. Get excited at first as they open them and find some minor treasures, but they start coming faster and faster until it gets super dangerous as they have to make saves to avoid being crushed by a 300lb chest full of flour or cloths.

Wish is a conjuration spell. If you want, when you hear someone say "I wish..." and you can give it a fun result have them feel existence rearranging its self and have some unintended consequences. They might never know they just blew a Wish spell lol

"Roll Arcana or Insight.... an 8? You have no idea why the door unlocked its self (or where your team-mate disappeared to or how)