PDA

View Full Version : Background idea: Treasure hunter.

Aussiehams
2019-01-11, 01:42 AM
G’day all.
Can I please get some opinions on a custom background, and if the feature is too strong/weak?

Treasure Hunter
Skills: history, investigation.
Proficiency: thieves tools.
Languages: One of your choice.
Connected network: Due to your connections with collectors and merchant houses, you have advantage on checks when trying to locate merchants that buy and sell magic items and rare treasures, and when negotiating price.

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers.

qube
2019-01-11, 02:10 AM
> Can I please get some opinions on a custom background

2 skills, 1 proficiency 1 language, 1 background feature ... that's standard.
Looking at the PHB, a background is about 1 page, including flavor, ideals, flaws, bond, personailty traits, equipment, ... all of which is missing here. As such, I have to say, this absolutely doesn't feel like an actual background, but an attempt to sneak in additional ability for your character

> and if the feature is too strong/weak?

I am of firm belief that background should not give rule-wise bonusses (and yes - that means I'm in the camp that dispeses what they did with Ravinca). But are there to give roleplay opportunities and campagin hooks.

And as such, if you want an this Indiana Jones style background, I would suggest looking at the sage background & the investigator background

When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information to find an item, you often know where and from w hom you can obtain it
~~ Sage's researcher

You can easily find the local outpost of the watch or a similar organization specialized shops, and just as easily pick out the dens of criminal activity in a community and the local black market
~~city watch, investigator background

Aussiehams
2019-01-11, 02:49 AM
I didn’t bother with all the other parts, because as you said, it’s about a page long, and it’s only fluff. I was more asking about crunch.

That second example you had, investigator, sounds about right. Which book is that in?

nickl_2000
2019-01-11, 07:58 AM
I didn’t bother with all the other parts, because as you said, it’s about a page long, and it’s only fluff. I was more asking about crunch.

That second example you had, investigator, sounds about right. Which book is that in?

It's a variant fluff option on the City Watch background in the Sword Coast Adventure Guide.

The Archaeologist from the Tomb of Annihilation may be decent too.

Historical Knowledge: When you enter a ruin or dungeon, you can correctly ascertain its original purpose and determine its builders. In addition, you can determine the monetary value of art objects more than a century old.

sophontteks
2019-01-11, 08:07 AM
Looks fine.

In my opinion treasure hunter sounds more like a foreground option then a background option. It answers why you are adventuring now better then what you did in the past.

Archeologist sounds like the more appropriate background option.

Wildarm
2019-01-11, 09:40 AM
G’day all.
Can I please get some opinions on a custom background, and if the feature is too strong/weak?

Treasure Hunter
Connected network: Due to your connections with collectors and merchant houses, you have advantage on checks when trying to locate merchants that buy and sell magic items and rare treasures, and when negotiating price.

Cheers.

Suggestions for a treasure hunter I have used before(Modified Archaeologist background with more of an Indiana Jones feel):

Skills: History, Athletics
Proficiency: Thieves Tools, Cartographer Tools
Historical Knowledge: When you enter a ruin or dungeon, you can correctly ascertain its original purpose and determine its builders. In addition, you can determine the monetary value of art objects more than a century old.

Other Options:

Magical Treasure Hunter: Just use Sage Background and maybe swap a language out for Thief tool prof
Extreme Botanist: Swap History for Nature and Thief Tools for Herblism Kit(or Poisoner Kit)

I'd stick with background perks that don't provide a strong mechanical benefit in game. Instead look for something that lets you move the adventure forward through role playing. Re-flavoring existing background options is likely the best starting point. Perhaps take the sage background but re-flavored for forgotten treasures. You know where to find information and maps on long lost treasures and civilizations. Allows your GM to drop clues in your lap to the next adventure. Lots of adventure movies use this plot device.

Ivor_The_Mad
2019-01-11, 09:58 AM
G’day all.

Treasure Hunter

Cheers.

I think it looks pretty fun. I think it could use some stuff about archeology or having a knowledge of the price of items of value. Also what equipment do they get?
I would suggest:
A compass, and a blank map paper. A small knife. An old treasure map in a lost language. A set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-11, 10:09 AM
G’day all.

Treasure Hunter
Equipment: 50' of silken rope, a recovered journal from a doomed expedition, travelers clothes and a pouch with 10 gold.
Connected network: You have connections with collectors and merchant houses. In every city, you have a who offers you introductions to merchants, and private parties, who like to buy and sell trinkets, art objects, historic and rare treasures, and magic items. My suggested change in wording is in italics.
Please add traits, ideals, bonds, and flaws and I'll add this into my campaign. We have an adventurer's guild thing going in our shared world, and this kind of background is a perfect fit.

iTreeby
2019-01-11, 01:22 PM
I think it looks pretty fun. I think it could use some stuff about archeology or having a knowledge of the price of items of value. Also what equipment do they get?
I would suggest:
A compass, and a blank map paper. A small knife. An old treasure map in a lost language. A set of common clothes, and a pouch containing 15gp

I'd go with a whip, a recovered journal from a doomed expedition, travelers clothes and a pouch with 15 gold.

Proficiency in one of these instead: cartographers tools, investigation and, knowledge history.

Aussiehams
2019-01-11, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have the splat books, and was AFB and didn't check some of the other features. I see giving advantage is out of step with existing backgrounds, so I will remove that and make it more vague like the others. I quite like this suggestion:

You have connections with collectors and merchant houses. In every city, you have a contact who offers you introductions to merchants and private collectors, who like to buy and sell trinkets, art objects, historic and rare treasures, and magic items.

So maybe something like this:

Treasure Hunter
Skills: History, Investigation.
Proficiency: Thieves tools.
Connected network: You have connections with collectors and merchant houses. In every city, you have a contact who offers you introductions to merchants and private collectors, who like to buy and sell trinkets, art objects, historic and rare treasures, and magic items.

A set of travellers clothes, a 10 foot pole, a map to a ruin from a far away land, a pouch containing 10GP.

d8 Personality trait

1 The thrill of the unknown is the most exciting thing their is.
2 Past civilizations have a lot to teach us, if only we can find their lessons.
3 I'm always calm, even when things are going very wrong.
4 Whatever I find, I keep.
5 I always have a quip or a joke to defuse a tense situation.
6 I give respect to the dead, but I don't want to join them.
7 I will one day find the treasure that will make me the most famous explorer in the world.
8 Nothing will keep me away from something once I want it.

d6 Ideal
1 Ancient knowledge should be shared with the world (Good).
2 If they didn't want me to have it, they should of guarded it better (Chaotic).
3 All discoveries should be protected and shared with the people (Lawful)
4 If I can get it, I deserve it (Neutral)
5 I will find the lost secrets that will give me all the power I need, and nothing will get in my way (Evil)
6 The wishes of the traditional owners of the past is more important than any gold (Good?)

d6 Bond

1 My mentor died trying to locate a certain ruin. I will find it for him.
2 I have been searching my whole life for an answer to a question I don't know.
3 I must stop dangerous knowledge from falling into the wrong hands.
4 All my findings need to be reported to my museum, university, temple.
5 My team comes before my mission.
6 I will face any challenge in order to prove myself.

d6 Flaw

1 I am easily distracted by the promise of secret knowledge.
2 I can't say no to a challenge.
3 I have beaten my competition to some great discoveries, and it's personal for them.
4 My reputation is more important than anything else.
5 Snakes, why did it have to be snakes.
6 I'm a sucker for a pretty face.

That's the crunchy stuff I came up with. The fluff could be you worked for a university or similar, or are taking after a mentor.

Thanks for the suggestions and the help with the background feature. I think I'm happy to run this past the DM now.

Cheers.