PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A Better Witch Bolt

2019-01-11, 10:02 AM
Witch Bolt
1st-level Evocation (available to whoever can currently cast Witch Bolt)
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 ft
Components: V, S, M (twig struck by lightning)
Duration: Concentration (up to 1 minute)

When you first cast this spell, make a ranged spell attack against a creature you can see in range. If you hit, you deal 1d6 lightning damage to the target. For the remaining duration, every round on your turn, if the original target is in range and not behind total cover (getting out of range or behind total cover does not end the spell, but it prevents you from targeting them this round), you may spend a bonus action to deal damage to the target equal to the damage you dealt as a direct result of the original attack roll (so if the original attack roll got a critical hit, then you deal your crit damage). Additionally, whenever the target takes damage from this spell, the lightning strikes at their motor functions: they must make an Intelligence save or be knocked prone.

At Higher Levels: For every slot level above 1st, increase the range by 10 ft and the damage by 1d6.

JNAProductions
2019-01-11, 10:14 AM
I'd make it reduce speed to 0 instead, or drop it by half or something.

Pretty good, though!

2019-01-11, 10:28 AM
I'd make it reduce speed to 0 instead, or drop it by half or something.

Pretty good, though!

I considered it, but went woth prone because reducing movement to one-third or one-half normal for a turn (which prone does to most people) is fine, and the additional mobility they get over "no movemntv is used to give asv to attakcs against them, so that people who loked the original Witch Bolt arenct losimg quite as much DPR potential.

JNAProductions
2019-01-11, 10:30 AM
I considered it, but went woth prone because reducing movement to one-third or one-half normal for a turn (which prone does to most people) is fine, and the additional mobility they get over "no movemntv is used to give asv to attakcs against them, so that people who loked the original Witch Bolt arenct losimg quite as much DPR potential.

Wait-your spell says "be prone for 1 round". That's worded poorly, since it seems to imply they CANNOT get up-is that not the case?

2019-01-11, 10:33 AM
Wait-your spell says "be prone for 1 round". That's worded poorly, since it seems to imply they CANNOT get up-is that not the case?

Ah, good point. Fixed!