PDA

View Full Version : Hafling and Loxodon Rogue Inquisitives

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 10:15 AM
Hello everyone. I am going to make a hafling, as well as a Loxodon, inquisitive rogue. My DM is very laid back and levels characters up once they hit a milestone, so he doesn't have a problem with me switching between the two characters. He'll just take control of the one I'm not using at the time. I'm really wanting to go with a Sherlock Holmes and Watson feel for these characters and want them to complement one another. I also am more worried about building them for the RP than gameplay, seeing as it will be a more RP oriented campaign. I would like everyone's help/ideas/advice on everything from building them to making them more believable. Thank you!

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 10:22 AM
Which version of Holmes and Watson are you going for?

Wildarm
2019-01-11, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone. I am going to make a hafling, as well as a Loxodon, inquisitive rogue. My DM is very laid back and levels characters up once they hit a milestone, so he doesn't have a problem with me switching between the two characters. He'll just take control of the one I'm not using at the time. I'm really wanting to go with a Sherlock Holmes and Watson feel for these characters and want them to complement one another. I also am more worried about building them for the RP than gameplay, seeing as it will be a more RP oriented campaign. I would like everyone's help/ideas/advice on everything from building them to making them more believable. Thank you!

Not really what you're asking for but your first mention of a Inquisitive Rogue Loxodon got me thinking of Horton Hears a Who.

"Watson" the Elephant(Loxodon) is constantly putting a small puffy flower up to his ear and insisting he can hear "Sherlock" giving him advice. The party isn't sure if Watson is crazy or there really is a tiny detective living in that flower but it seems to work.

Unoriginal
2019-01-11, 10:41 AM
Honestly I would try to convince another player to play one of the two, call the Halfling Max and the Loxodon Min, then open "Min & Max Investigation".

Vogie
2019-01-11, 10:56 AM
I'd make the Halfling "Watson" a Mastermind Rogue, actually. The "Sherlock" Loxodon is the one doing the perceiving, while the Watson just provides advantage and pointing out weak points on the targets.

Also, the Loxodon plays a fiddle with one hand with their trunk moving the bow.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 10:59 AM
Honestly I would try to convince another player to play one of the two, call the Halfling Max and the Loxodon Min, then open "Min & Max Investigation".

"Welcome to Min/Max, where you are guaranteed to get the best for your money."

"Min/Max, we do it all, we do it better, we do it cheaper."

"Min/Max, let us scour the books for you."

"When you need the work of two people for the price of one, think Min/Max"

"Min/Max, we have no dump stats."

"Min/Max, when you need to make absolutely, positively, sure that you have dirt every other adventurer in the room, accept no substitute"

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 11:04 AM
MisterWhisper, I honestly don't know... I didn't even realize there were different versions...

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 11:12 AM
MisterWhisper, I honestly don't know... I didn't even realize there were different versions...

Book versions are pretty classic

The BBC show Sherlock is great but Sherlock is a High Int and Wis inquisitive with garbage charisma, and Watson is almost more like an Eldritch Knight than a rogue.
The movie version with Robert Downey Jr. is very much an Inquisitive and Jude Law is more of a lore bard that is not big on music.
I could not be strapped to a chair and be made to watch the garbage that is the new comedy version of them.
I never saw the CBS show about Sherlock Holmes so no comment there.
Their has also been MANY other different version but those are the most famous.

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 11:23 AM
Vogie, I completely forgot about mastermind rogues and that's a great idea. Thanks!

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 11:27 AM
Misterwhisper, I want them to be more inquisitive, but I do also need them to be able to hold their own when the action begins. Any advice on their stat builds would be appreciated. I have decided to make the Loxodon (Watson) a Mastermind Rogue instead.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 11:48 AM
Misterwhisper, I want them to be more inquisitive, but I do also need them to be able to hold their own when the action begins. Any advice on their stat builds would be appreciated. I have decided to make the Loxodon (Watson) a Mastermind Rogue instead.

For Holmes:

Ghostwise Halfling
Inquisitive Rogue: (assuming level 3 if you are an inquisitive)

Str: 8
Dex: 16
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha: 8

Skills:

Arcana
History
Insight
Investigation
Perception
Stealth

Expertise in Insight and Investigation
Use the telepath to talk to people mentally and bother them with your arrogant knowledge and correct.

Weapon wise, ask if you can get a rapier or short sword as a sword cane.

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 12:07 PM
That sounds great! Got anything for Watson?

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 12:53 PM
That sounds great! Got anything for Watson?

I don't have the book with loxodon in it so not 100% sure what their racials are other than the +2 Con and +1 Wis.

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 01:01 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the help!

Misterwhisper
2019-01-11, 01:02 PM
Gotcha. Thanks for the help!

If your DM is cool with UA and things you could make Holmes the Inquisitive rogue and make Watson a Sidekick Expert.

It fits perfectly actually.

Dregyn
2019-01-11, 01:21 PM
He is cool with UA... I'll have to check it out. I didn't know there was a Sidekick Expert.