PDA

View Full Version : Avengers inspired story

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 11:45 AM
I've been thinking about taking a low teir 2 group through a story which was slightly inspired by the infinity stones concept.

I'll get them to teir 2 with a fun little story that's pretty straightforward, so that after beating the boys they can each earn a small stone that when held gives them access to a feat and some additional bonuses fit for a higher teir (I might let them choose, or pick for them if I think I could give them a cooler boost than they'd think of)

After a small adventure where they get to really enjoy their newfound power, they are stripped of the stones which are given to a powerful guy (in the vein of thanos) who combines them into a single item (gauntlet/crown/breastplate?) Showing that when combined their power grows exponentially and than they'd have to figure out how to overpower him to retrieve the stones.

I felt that earning the stones, experiencing the buff, than suffering a defeat would help invest them in the actual main storyline.

Suggestions/Critique? Help me build the story!

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 11:48 AM
I even thought about having them have to overpower Avenger themed baddies to earn the power of combating their Thanos. Battling Thor designed as a high level Tempest Cleric and getting his hammer or Stormbreaker for example would feel epic I think.

Vogie
2019-01-11, 12:10 PM
One resource you could look into is the Godsfall worldbook (https://www.godsfall.com)- while that book is based on the characters (both PCs & NPCs) being the new gods of a realm, albeit fledgling 'godlings', you could use the progression as a collection of such artifacts. Instead of the God of Travel, a PC may have the "travel stone" or so on.

The worldbook also has rules for having the gods form a "bridge" to combine their abilities, which you can then co-opt to show how one can combine the stones into a weapon.

You could also Look up the design for the Tal'dorei Vestiges of Divergence, a series of items from the first Critical Role Campaign, that the players level up over a long period of time into artifact-level objects.

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 12:15 PM
Everyone always has such great things to say about critical roll lol
I originally got invested in Dice Camera Action than the C Team and haven't had time or a chance really to go past the 5th or sixth session of Critical Roll.
The constant redactions of their backstory during breaks and before every game just got real old for me really fast

Vogie
2019-01-11, 12:36 PM
I originally got invested in Dice Camera Action than the C Team and haven't had time or a chance really to go past the 5th or sixth session of Critical Roll.
The constant redactions of their backstory during breaks and before every game just got real old for me really fast

The only reason I can keep up with it is because I've trained myself to listen to things really quickly. The episodes don't ever slog when you're listening to it at 3x

TheCleverGuy
2019-01-11, 01:12 PM

For what it's worth, they do eventually stop running the backstory video.

Aaedimus
2019-01-11, 01:37 PM
Which Avengers do you think would be the most fun to pit a group against, and do you have any concepts for D&D translation?

Particle_Man
2019-01-11, 06:13 PM
When the BBEG gets the stones, everyone has to make a death save or be SNAPPED OUT and have to make a new character. :smallbiggrin: