PDA

View Full Version : How to Reduce the Cost of a Transposer Cloak?

Palanan
2019-01-11, 05:47 PM
I’d really like to add a transposer cloak to a character’s gear, but my budget is only 3000 gp and the item’s cost is 6000 gp (MIC p. 144).

As listed, the cloak functions three times per day, but I’m fine if it functions just once per day. How far would that drop the price? I’ve looked at the rules for magic item pricing, but I’m completely baffled. Would that change bring it below 3000 gp, or is there a hard deck that’s independent of uses per day?

the_david
2019-01-11, 06:12 PM
A quick check tells me the price is 6000 gp. The cost to create would be 3000 gp. There's a difference between price and cost in D&D. Please don't confuse us any more than necessary and use the word price when you're talking about the price of a magic item. (Yes, I know I'm nitpicking.)

For 2000 gp you could have a Transposer Cloak that works once a day. You could also get a Wand of Baleful Transposition with 22 charges for 1980 gp. Do you really want to spend that much money on a situational power with a low chance of success that you can use once a day? It doesn't seem like a good choice.

Charges per day Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)
The cloak has only 3 charges per day so the new price would be one third of that, or 2000 gp.