PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dragons, specifically Sorcerer Spells

Carden-Gix'oth
2019-01-11, 07:32 PM
How many Sorcerer Spells do True Dragons get? My Paladin just hit Level 20, and I summoned a Gold Dragon as per the rules in the Draconomicon to be my special mount. Negotiations ensued, and the young Gold agreed. I know my Gold Dragon Mount (Juvenile Age Category) can cast up spells up to a 5th level Sorcerer, but how many does he know? All of them from 0, 1st and 2nd? I mean, it's a dragon, and not a human/elf/dwarf/gnome/ etc. and I can't find anything saying anything definitive.

Neither me nor my DM have been able to find anything definitive, and a party that consists of Level 20 characters (Paladin, Scout, Ranger, Barbarian, and Druid) even if the Dragon knows every single Sorcerer Spell of 0, 1st and 2nd levels, it's not going to benefit us that much outside of spells like True Strike or Ebon Eyes. But spells like Ebon Eyes are kinda moot as we already all have darkvision, and the Darkness spell isn't a problem cause any Light spell of any level dispels any Darkness Spell of equal or lower level (and vice versa).

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-11, 07:40 PM
The Gold Dragon should have the same amount of spells known as a 5th level Sorcerer. See the table on this page for details. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm)

Edit:

Should be 6 0th levels spells, 4 1st level ones and 2 2nd level spells.

DrMotives
2019-01-11, 07:41 PM
They have the same spells known as any other sorcerer of the same level. So a dragon that casts as a 5th level sorcerer has the same spells known as any PHB race at 5th level. The only difference is many dragons have the cleric list or domains explicitly called out as sources to draw their spells known from, but that's always mentioned in the description of that particular dragon type.

Carden-Gix'oth
2019-01-11, 07:51 PM
Ok, so I need to choose the spells. Got it. But as for the cleric spells, the dragons get those in addition to their sorcerer spells, I thought. For instance, if the dragon has 5 known level 1 spells, and 3 cleric domains, the dragon has, in actuality, 8 1st level spells to cast; the 5 Sorcerer spells, and the three domain spells.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-11, 07:55 PM
Ok, so I need to choose the spells. Got it. But as for the cleric spells, the dragons get those in addition to their sorcerer spells, I thought. For instance, if the dragon has 5 known level 1 spells, and 3 cleric domains, the dragon has, in actuality, 8 1st level spells to cast; the 5 Sorcerer spells, and the three domain spells.

They don't get the domain slots or the domain spells for free, IIRC, they just can pick them like they are Sorcerer spells.

Remuko
2019-01-12, 12:29 AM
Also dont forget the gold dragon gets bonus spells based on his Charisma.

Jack_Simth
2019-01-12, 12:59 AM
Also dont forget the gold dragon gets bonus spells based on his Charisma.

Keep in mind that bonus spells for a high ability score are only "per day" rather than "known" in the Sorcerer's case (Wizard gets a few extra in the starting spellbook from having a high Int).

Remuko
2019-01-12, 11:42 AM
Keep in mind that bonus spells for a high ability score are only "per day" rather than "known" in the Sorcerer's case (Wizard gets a few extra in the starting spellbook from having a high Int).

yes yes, just additional spells per day not known. i should have been more specific!