PDA

View Full Version : Dream encounter - scenarios for solo characters

Monstrrr
2019-01-11, 11:51 PM
Hello everyone! This is going to be a little long and rambly, so I apologize in advance.

I am a first time DM, and I was hoping I could get some ideas. I have a dream sequence I’m putting my players through. The first dream, one player “woke up” in the dream, to find the rest of the party in her room at the inn they were staying at… which is not where they were when they fell asleep. The room is very cold. Only one character could be “awake” at a time, so if a character tried to wake up another character, that character would wake up, but the first would fall asleep. A character would also fall asleep once they made an action to warm the room back up. So basically in that dream, the room would get colder unless they made actions to warm it back up. One character active at a time. They successfully warmed the room up again.

The second dream, they will be in a… I’ve been calling it a Transdepot, basically it’s a building with nine portals connecting to the biggest cities on the continent. An invading army is almost upon them, and what they don’t know is that those in power are going to destroy the Transdepot to keep the enemy army from gaining instant access to all the major cities. The party will all be active at the same time, and they will be close enough together to know the rest of the party is also in the dream, but they will each find themselves in a different situation. One will be in front of an angry mob of people – the people have just been told they cannot travel to the cities they were headed towards, and must evacuate to other cities. They are not happy about it, and it will be that character’s goal to calm the crowd down and get them moving. Maybe another character needs to help save a family that got trapped somehow. So on and so forth. I need more ideas for situations to put them in that make sense in that scenario.

The third dream they will be outside the Transdepot after the events of the second dream, I was thinking a couple years later. Half the depot is destroyed, and the surrounding land is sickly as a result of what destroyed the temple. For this dream, I want them all active and set with a problem to solve together… but I have no idea what that problem would be.

The party consists of a dragonborn paladin, dragonborn rogue, dwarf ranger, teifling wizard, and a human fighter.

So, sorry for the long explanation, but does anyone have any suggestions for situations for dream #2, or a group problem for dream #3?

Renvir
2019-01-12, 01:12 AM
Dream 2
-Someone stole something/kidnapped someone and is trying to run into a portal to one of the major cities. The player needs to stop them reaching the portal.
-Several groups are arguing in different languages and need a translator and mediator to the situation. Perhaps they are arguing over who is at fault for a barrel of something nasty breaking and spilling on everyone.
-An enemy has infiltrated the crowd and is trying to cause more panic and chaos in the transdepot without being seen.

Dream 3
-They are outside the transdepot and come across many of the same npcs from dream 2. They are all in disarray and will try to get the parties help to reopen one of the transdepot portals. Opening the portal will help solve their problems (covered in smelly goo and need a shower, crowd infiltrator must be taken to court, family just wants to go home, etc.) but through a twist of fate/dream logic the party learns that one of the people is a terrible demon that will cause chaos if it can get through.

Monstrrr
2019-01-13, 11:35 PM
Dream 2
-Someone stole something/kidnapped someone and is trying to run into a portal to one of the major cities. The player needs to stop them reaching the portal.
-Several groups are arguing in different languages and need a translator and mediator to the situation. Perhaps they are arguing over who is at fault for a barrel of something nasty breaking and spilling on everyone.
-An enemy has infiltrated the crowd and is trying to cause more panic and chaos in the transdepot without being seen.

Dream 3
-They are outside the transdepot and come across many of the same npcs from dream 2. They are all in disarray and will try to get the parties help to reopen one of the transdepot portals. Opening the portal will help solve their problems (covered in smelly goo and need a shower, crowd infiltrator must be taken to court, family just wants to go home, etc.) but through a twist of fate/dream logic the party learns that one of the people is a terrible demon that will cause chaos if it can get through.

Thank you for the ideas! In dream 3, they will be unable to power on the portals... it's a special kind of transdepot, more than just magical, and the things that power it won't be there anymore in dream 3. I was thinking about having them be part of a party that's gone back to the temple to see if anything is salvagable? But the problem to solve in that case would be... what? So, I'm still tossing around ideas.