PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's Armor

Goblin_Priest
2019-01-12, 05:17 PM
When (and why) did Durkula switch from the full plate to these robes...?

Peelee
2019-01-12, 05:24 PM

After he teleported to the Dwarven lands, and because Roy rent his armor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1009.html).

Fyraltari
2019-01-12, 05:25 PM

Between the Moot and the attack on Thor's temple. Maybe he thought as a High Priest he should look the part? He didn't seem very keen on close combat either.

Morquard
2019-01-12, 06:49 PM
After he teleported to the Dwarven lands, and because Roy rent his armor (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1009.html).

Usually so far armor was repaired automatically whenever a heal spell was cast.

Goblin_Priest
2019-01-12, 06:54 PM
Unless that was some kind of sunder. Have we ever seen armor with such damage before? There's a big hole, that is maintaining through the strips. I had never noticed before.

If Roy hadn't sundered his armor, Durkula wouldn't have taken it off, and thus couldn't have exposed his breast, and Belkar couldn't have staked him in the heart! ;)

Quebbster
2019-01-12, 07:24 PM
Durkula didn't seem too concerned about taking damage during the fight. Perhaps he figured the protection from the armor was less useful than his ability to move silently?

Dion
2019-01-12, 10:57 PM
I assumed BlackWing was quietly guarding Durkon's hammer, shield, and armor just off panel (you know, next to V's spellbooks, Haley's arrows and Elan's Ukulele). But I guess not.

So I wonder if he's going to get new weapons and armor now.

The Aboleth
2019-01-12, 11:44 PM
I assumed BlackWing was quietly guarding Durkon's hammer, shield, and armor just off panel (you know, next to V's spellbooks, Haley's arrows and Elan's Ukulele). But I guess not.

So I wonder if he's going to get new weapons and armor now.

I have a theory that Thor's secret to Durkon will lead to some sort of long-forgotten Dwarven vault where he will get, at the very least, a brand new hammer. I have no basis for this speculation other than it just feels right, somehow.

factotum
2019-01-12, 11:44 PM
I think it looks like the armour was definitely destroyed in that fight--we've never seen a huge gash like that in armour anywhere else in the comic.

dtilque
2019-01-13, 01:58 AM

That's a visual idiom in this strip. When characters take damage, it's reflected in marks on the head and torso. But the torso is usually covered with armor or clothing, so the marks show up on that. When they're healed, the marks go away. The one exception to this is the MitD, whose body is concealed in darkness. So when he takes damage (which is very rare), it shows up in his umbrella. In fact, the only time I remember him being injured is after the pyramid blew up.

As far as why Durkula ditched the armor, it's probably because he didn't like wearing it. He no longer had to pretend to be Durkon, and that was the only reason he was wearing it. And between DR, vampiric fast healing, and harm/inflict spells, he didn't really need the armor that much. Well as long as he avoided a fight with Roy in Green Energy mode.

Morquard
2019-01-13, 04:58 AM
When Tarquin took falling damage in 936 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0936.html) his cloak was all torn up after, which makes no sense just from the fall.

As for the Sunder - I doubt Roy would use his action on sundering Durkon's armor instead of attacking the Vampire directly. Of course it's possible the sundering is a side effect of the green glow.

NerdyKris
2019-01-13, 09:32 AM
This would be a perfect time for Durkon to finally get an upgrade. Everyone else has. Except for Vaarsuvius, who's "upgrade" was more of a change in combat tactics.

Morquard
2019-01-13, 09:39 AM
This would be a perfect time for Durkon to finally get an upgrade. Everyone else has. Except for Vaarsuvius, who's "upgrade" was more of a change in combat tactics.

Yes, my guess is the "secret" Thor mentioned to him, is a forgotten cache of armor and weapons or maybe just a single suit of armor and hammer blessed by Thor himself, made for a previous Champion.

Emanick
2019-01-13, 09:50 AM

V did get an ioun stone that boosted hir caster level. I consider that an upgrade.

NerdyKris
2019-01-13, 09:57 AM
Oh right, I knew there was something I was forgetting.

Grey_Wolf_c
2019-01-13, 10:29 AM
V did get an ioun stone that boosted hir caster level. I consider that an upgrade.

No, that was clearly an upgrade for Blackwing.
j/k
Grey Wolf

Darth Paul
2019-01-13, 05:57 PM

I considered the ponytail an upgrade. Much better than the original 'do. Not to mention the Darth V look. That was just crazy good. :smallamused: Well... crazy, anyway. Crazy evil good?

Goblin_Priest
2019-01-13, 08:34 PM
That's a visual idiom in this strip. When characters take damage, it's reflected in marks on the head and torso. But the torso is usually covered with armor or clothing, so the marks show up on that. When they're healed, the marks go away. The one exception to this is the MitD, whose body is concealed in darkness. So when he takes damage (which is very rare), it shows up in his umbrella. In fact, the only time I remember him being injured is after the pyramid blew up.

As far as why Durkula ditched the armor, it's probably because he didn't like wearing it. He no longer had to pretend to be Durkon, and that was the only reason he was wearing it. And between DR, vampiric fast healing, and harm/inflict spells, he didn't really need the armor that much. Well as long as he avoided a fight with Roy in Green Energy mode.

Eh... armor is AC. I'm assuming that's full plate, which is a LOT of AC. Running around without armor is dumb.

When Tarquin took falling damage in 936 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0936.html) his cloak was all torn up after, which makes no sense just from the fall.

As for the Sunder - I doubt Roy would use his action on sundering Durkon's armor instead of attacking the Vampire directly. Of course it's possible the sundering is a side effect of the green glow.

Yea I'd pass it off as some special move/ability, as Durkon* was wounded as well. Some kind of combo.

woweedd
2019-01-13, 10:15 PM

One of may favorite of the many little hints at just how strong MITD is: In Kraagor's Tomb, after walking out of a door which contained monsters so tough that even XYKON was given a serious challenge by them, MITD, or, rather, his umbrella, had no damage at all. Monsters strong enough to give XP to a level 21+ Sorcerer didn't even scratch MITD. Think about that.

factotum
2019-01-14, 12:46 AM
One of may favorite of the many little hints at just how strong MITD is: In Kraagor's Tomb, after walking out of a door which contained monsters so tough that even XYKON was given a serious challenge by by them, MITD, or, rather, his umbrella, had no damage at all. Monsters strong enough to give XP to a level 21+ Sorcerer didn't even scratch MITD. Think about that.

It's entirely possible that was because they simply didn't attack the MitD, recognising him as one of their own--and it's very unlikely he attacked them back, because he just doesn't do that sort of thing.

Darth Paul
2019-01-14, 01:07 AM
It's entirely possible that was because they simply didn't attack the MitD, recognising him as one of their own--and it's very unlikely he attacked them back, because he just doesn't do that sort of thing.

Or maybe he stood in the back of the group holding the treasure sacks, like my 5th level cleric used to do for my 12th level party (very first campaign I was ever in; I got to play the character up from 1st level, I was just very very sheltered for a while).

Dion
2019-01-14, 08:32 AM
Or maybe he stood in the back of the group holding the treasure sacks, .

I read that as he got to stand in the back and hold the “Treasured Snacks”.

Which is probably true.

D.One
2019-01-14, 08:50 AM
I read that as he got to stand in the back and hold the “Treasured Snacks”.

Which is probably true.

I think I'd never ever ask MitD to guard or hold snacks if I had known him for more than 10 minutes....

Quebbster
2019-01-14, 10:49 AM
I think I'd never ever ask MitD to guard or hold snacks if I had known him for more than 10 minutes....

Xykon did ask him to stay guard once (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html). Once.

Peelee
2019-01-14, 11:37 AM
Xykon did ask him to stay guard once (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0376.html). Once.

My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once.

D.One
2019-01-14, 12:28 PM
My mother hung me on a coat hook once. Once.

I thought your name was Peelee, not Kevin. :smallbiggrin:

Peelee
2019-01-14, 01:15 PM
I thought your name was Peelee, not Kevin. :smallbiggrin:

I was actual channeling Danny (https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0087507/). Got the quote wrong, though, that was his father.

MartianInvader
2019-01-14, 01:50 PM
This is obviously the explanation: Healing spells also have built-in armor and clothing repair. But since undead would be harmed by positive energy, they never cast healing spells on themselves, and so Durkon* simply discarded the broken armor. This also explains why undead often have tattered and shabby clothing.

Fyraltari
2019-01-14, 01:59 PM
This is obviously the explanation: Healing spells also have built-in armor and clothing repair. But since undead would be harmed by positive energy, they never cast healing spells on themselves, and so Durkon* simply discarded the broken armor. This also explains why undead often have tattered and shabby clothing.

That doesn't work. inflict Serious Wounds made the chips in the sides of Durkon*'s armor disapear here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1004.html).

Goblin_Priest
2019-01-14, 03:01 PM
Small lines on the body, including armor, represent HP damage to the character, not the armor. Thus healing makes them go away.

Durkon had more than a small line, though, he got a huge gash on his armor. Presumably the armor was broken, thus healing would not mend it.

Crusher
2019-01-14, 03:22 PM
Small lines on the body, including armor, represent HP damage to the character, not the armor. Thus healing makes them go away.

Durkon had more than a small line, though, he got a huge gash on his armor. Presumably the armor was broken, thus healing would not mend it.

He probably needed Raise Armor at that point, creating an obvious dilemma.

Dion
2019-01-14, 08:22 PM

Sure, and you wouldn’t ask Thog to guard the ice cream, or Elan to guard your sanity. But somehow it always seems to happen.