PDA

View Full Version : Talisman of the Disk

schreier
2019-01-12, 08:14 PM
Talisman of the Disk lets you create a Tenser's Floating Disk which will last 3 hours. It takes a standard action (Command) to activate. It costs 500gp.

It does not mention a limitation on the number of uses. Some have said you can make multiples at once even.

I saw another post mention that the pricing is consistent with 1/day.

On a table in the back (pg 257), it says "3 hours/day create Tenser’s floating disk" - implying 1/day.

I know the general rule is text over table. What do people generally do with the item?

Malphegor
2019-01-13, 08:20 AM
Due to the general utility of it out of combat but limited utility in-combat (you can maybe stop enemies charging at you?), and noting that Tenser's Floating Disc in 3e cannot (normally) be directed to move independently- it will only follow the user (there is a higher level spell in a book that lets you do that.), my group have so farlet it be used infinitely each day because it's useful to explain how we carry stuff like bodies (so many bodies)

This will likely change when I use it to power a spell absorbtion field for power in a few levels, but what they don't need to know will only let me construct a 3 spell many fireballs launcher in a few levels.

However, for sanity's sake, we'e assumed it's one disc per talisman at a time.

Elvensilver
2019-01-13, 09:45 AM
I once found a guide entirely about floating disks and all kinds of shananigans with their use. I'll link it here, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility It states that the talisman of the disk is usable at will. Apart from that, it will answer your question, as well as some you didn't ask. :smallsmile:

Elkad
2019-01-13, 10:29 AM
500g is underpriced for anything other than 1/day.

That said, letting it be at-will, with a limit of one disk at a time is probably fine. I like cheap flavor items.

Chain-summoning 1800 of them? No.

schreier
2019-01-13, 11:29 AM
I once found a guide entirely about floating disks and all kinds of shananigans with their use. I'll link it here, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility It states that the talisman of the disk is usable at will. Apart from that, it will answer your question, as well as some you didn't ask. :smallsmile:

I had read that article, and knew it mentioned the at-will aspect. At the same time, the tables in the MIC clearly say 3 hours/day (while the actual item entry does not state that), and pricing supports that. My guess is that RAW is at will due to text over table, RAI is probably 1/day.