PDA

View Full Version : Where should I get books?

StevenC21
2019-01-12, 08:39 PM
Hey all. I know that DnD 3.5 is far from new... but a lot of the non-core books are REALLY expensive on Amazon. I don't know where else I might get them though. I'm really worried that in the future I simply won't be able to get them at all, so I have a compulsion to buy them, you know?

Right now I own the PHB, MM, DMG, and the Book of Vile Darkness, which I all got relatively cheaply. Some of these books go for over 60 dollars though! This is too expensive for me. I am moderately poor at this point but really want these books. Are there any feasible options for me, or am I mostly out of luck?

I don't have a nearby hobby shop, sadly, so that is out of the question.

Blackhawk748
2019-01-12, 08:46 PM
Find a Half Price books or similar store. I've gotten a fair few front there

StevenC21
2019-01-12, 08:50 PM
Thank you very much. However, after a cursory search, it appears that such stores do not have the books at a significantly cheaper price than other locations.

Do you have any other options that spring to mind?

Blackhawk748
2019-01-12, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much. However, after a cursory search, it appears that such stores do not have the books at a significantly cheaper price than other locations.

Do you have any other options that spring to mind?

See if you can find licensed copies of the Pdfs?

StevenC21
2019-01-12, 08:57 PM
That may very well be my only option.

I just don't want to let time pass, and realize that these books are gone forever...

I wish that they were still in print.

Bakkan
2019-01-12, 10:31 PM
I got most of my collection on eBay, if you're patient you can sometimes find decently priced books. Granted, the last time I looked was some years ago, so your experience may be different.

Troacctid
2019-01-12, 10:45 PM
PDFs are available via DriveThruRPG (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/). In some cases, they have print copies of the books as well.

Malphegor
2019-01-13, 07:50 AM
Much as I'm not a big fan of them as a business, Amazon is where I've gotten most of my books just out of convenience.

If I had a better tablet I'd probably switch over to (legitimately obtained)!pdfs tbh. It's really just the battery life holding me back- the pdfs are MUCH cheaper generally.

You can also get the leather bound special editions of the phb, dmg and mm1 on amazon uk atm and they sound deliciously luxuriant and extravagant to own.

Drephos
2019-01-13, 08:04 AM
I will second eBay, I've gotten a lot of my collection from various sellers on there and generally for a decent price. However there are a fair few people still hunting 3.5 books on the site so be prepared to handle bidding wars on popular items.

In the UK charity shops can be very good for books however they are very hit and miss in terms of what is stocked and how they have been priced.