PDA

View Full Version : What would you make if you could start with a belt of Hill Giant Strength? (21)

PeteNutButter
2019-01-12, 10:47 PM
Thread title is the question.

I've an AL character in possession of a belt of hill giant strength that is not being used. I intend to use some DM rewards to start a character at either level 7 or 8 and trade the belt over.

What should I play?

I considered building a kobold just for the luls of having a 6 str hiding behind that 21, but there really isn't much benefit for a str kobold build. Heavy weapons would still be at disadvantage, (or a wash if an ally is nearby). Lancing might be fun, but the lance mechanics don't work well with pack tactics, unless again you have an ally. It might make beastmaster a consideration, for a solid mount.

I could just play a regular character and devout all my ASIs to feats, but I feel like this is an unusual opportunity to play something that is normally too MAD to work.

I'd like to do a MAD build that isn't normally super viable.

*Remember I'd still need a 13 str to MC into Barbarian or Paladin.

So far it looks like the party has a rogue, a paladin, a wizard, a ranged fighter, and a druid. So, anything is open. The character is for Dungeon of the Mad Mage, so expecting a lot of fights and traps, low RP. AL rules limit source books to PHB +1 other. Stat generation is via point buy.

I'd be happy to hear ideas.

CTurbo
2019-01-12, 11:26 PM
Aarakocra Barbarian that uses grappling to fly away with and drop targets

Goliath Str Rogue that also uses grappling to great effect

A Str Barb with Rogue levels would actually be the greatest grappler.

Good old fashion Paladin that could actually afford to take some feats instead of boosting Str.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-01-12, 11:31 PM

Hahaha I love this so much.

Potato_Priest
2019-01-12, 11:33 PM
Str based monk!

Get high Dex and wis like normal (but this time put wis over dex in importance), and go to town with grapples and athletics. Fluff your origin as from a school of something like Sumo rather than one of those sissy martial arts.

The grappling rogue is also an excellent suggestion. Let's see what else we can come up with.

A fun one I've always wanted to try is taking a hobgoblin wizard (already pretty decent because of hobgoblin racials), getting a halberd as your martial weapon, and getting polearm master and sentinel to protect your squishy back-row self.

Another great option would be an actually good valor bard. With 21 str out the gate you can pick up GWM and start dealing death with the rest of them!

PeteNutButter
2019-01-12, 11:37 PM

Goliath Str Rogue that also uses grappling to great effect

A Str Barb with Rogue levels would actually be the greatest grappler.

Good old fashion Paladin that could actually afford to take some feats instead of boosting Str.

Sadly no flying races in AL.

The other options are all tempting.

Str based monk!

Get high Dex and wis like normal (but this time put wis over dex in importance), and go to town with grapples and athletics. Fluff your origin as from a school of something like Sumo rather than one of those sissy martial arts.

This is a bit more exotic. I was considering involving monk somehow. It'd get tough to dip barbarian or something though, as I'd be losing out on dex/con/wis to make it work. Just going straight monk alleviates the 13 str issues though.

LudicSavant
2019-01-12, 11:38 PM
Paladin gets a metric ton of value from being able to max out strength without actually investing in it, opening up powerful racial and ASI options. Be a yuan-ti or something that hits like a truck and maxes Cha ASAP.

Zhorn
2019-01-12, 11:43 PM
Now why on earth would you play something serious when you have the opportunity to go full muscle wizard without dumping your int score? :smallbiggrin:

Ganymede
2019-01-12, 11:53 PM
Play as a strength 8 barbarian with a paralytic fear of ever being robbed.

Potato_Priest
2019-01-13, 12:20 AM
Play as a strength 8 barbarian with a paralytic fear of ever being robbed.

Oh, this made me laugh out loud Ganymede. Well done!

Rynjin
2019-01-13, 12:25 AM
Muscle Wizard. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RosIoQisA)

Mercurias
2019-01-13, 12:30 AM
Battlemaster Fighter or maybe an Immortal Body Mystic.

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-01-13, 01:28 AM
+1 to muscle wizards. Use Disguise Self to look like an old man, then throw off your robe/disguise and SUPLEX AN ENEMY TO DEATH.

Going the Lore Bardbarian Grappler route would be pretty good, too. +5 Athletics Modifier, +Athletics Expertise, +Advantage on Strength Checks while raging is hard to beat. And if they do beat it, scream directly into their faces with Cutting Words until they don't beat it. Grab Tavern Brawler to punch and grapple on the same turn. Knock them prone while grappled and they're stuck prone until you're done beating the crap out of them.

Sigreid
2019-01-13, 01:44 AM
Just a normal wizard who likes to arm wrestle for the tab and get into bar fights.

Azgeroth
2019-01-13, 07:17 AM
personally, i would go BM fighter, and take ALL THE FEATS!

and i don't mean, PAM GWM Sentinel, i mean, alert, observant, keen mind, ritual caster, inspiring leader, healer, actor etc.

go with a standard STR char, and go crazily of the norm. you have a 21 STR, so your always going to be viable, do something different.

or horizon walker ranger. means you can have a really good con/wis and respectable dex, and awesome STR!

wood elf could as lvl 1 give you..

8 21
13 +2 15
14 14
10 10
15 +1 16
12 12

you could swap dex and con if your planning on going medium armour, then round con out later, this way you can max your wis and still be very viable in melee.

PeteNutButter
2019-01-13, 09:13 AM
You guys give great suggestions, but I've got excuses against all of them.:smallfrown:

Paladin gets a metric ton of value from being able to max out strength without actually investing in it, opening up powerful racial and ASI options. Be a yuan-ti or something that hits like a truck and maxes Cha ASAP.

I actually drafted this exact character. Starting 15 con and 17 cha, boosting both at 4, then going for feats. Then I realized there is another paladin in the party, who I'd just completely show up. That's bad form.

Now why on earth would you play something serious when you have the opportunity to go full muscle wizard without dumping your int score? :smallbiggrin:

+1 to muscle wizards. Use Disguise Self to look like an old man, then throw off your robe/disguise and SUPLEX AN ENEMY TO DEATH.

Going the Lore Bardbarian Grappler route would be pretty good, too. +5 Athletics Modifier, +Athletics Expertise, +Advantage on Strength Checks while raging is hard to beat. And if they do beat it, scream directly into their faces with Cutting Words until they don't beat it. Grab Tavern Brawler to punch and grapple on the same turn. Knock them prone while grappled and they're stuck prone until you're done beating the crap out of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea8GyscSFaQ
Both a grapple bard and fighter 1/wizard x are among my 9 existing AL characters. Though I could certainly make a better one using the belt.

I should have probably listed these at the start, but foolishly didn't think people would suggest the exact things I have such as str wizard and grapple bard.
Devotion Paladin 6/Hexblade 5/Swords Bard 5 (Tank/Smiter)
Druid 15 (Moon)
Paladin 2/Sorcerer 13 (Schmitez + Spells)
Fighter 1/Abjurer 9 (Str wizard)
Light Cleric 5/Sorcerer 3 (Scourge Aasimar + Spirit Guardians = AoE death zone, kind of obsolete since Divine Soul exists)
Valor Bard 8 (Grappler)
Ancients Paladin 8 (Mounted)
Barb 1/Monk 7 (Tortle)
Wizard 6 (Invoker)
Barbarian 5/Warlock 3 (EBERRON)

personally, i would go BM fighter, and take ALL THE FEATS!

and i don't mean, PAM GWM Sentinel, i mean, alert, observant, keen mind, ritual caster, inspiring leader, healer, actor etc.

go with a standard STR char, and go crazily of the norm. you have a 21 STR, so your always going to be viable, do something different.

or horizon walker ranger. means you can have a really good con/wis and respectable dex, and awesome STR!

wood elf could as lvl 1 give you..

8 21
13 +2 15
14 14
10 10
15 +1 16
12 12

you could swap dex and con if your planning on going medium armour, then round con out later, this way you can max your wis and still be very viable in melee.

I have neither a fighter nor a ranger, and neither does the current party. I may have to play one or both of those. A str ranger could be fun.

Nhorianscum
2019-01-13, 11:19 AM
Lizardfolk/Hill Dwarf GWM Ranger/Cleric is my vote.

Purely for the RP.

Alternately the idea of a Goliath thief rouge appeals to me on so many levels.

For full insane territory we can roll a GWF 4e monk

Dark Schneider
2019-01-13, 11:25 AM
Grappling monk xD

djreynolds
2019-01-13, 11:26 AM

I've an AL character in possession of a belt of hill giant strength that is not being used. I intend to use some DM rewards to start a character at either level 7 or 8 and trade the belt over.

What should I play?

I considered building a kobold just for the luls of having a 6 str hiding behind that 21, but there really isn't much benefit for a str kobold build. Heavy weapons would still be at disadvantage, (or a wash if an ally is nearby). Lancing might be fun, but the lance mechanics don't work well with pack tactics, unless again you have an ally. It might make beastmaster a consideration, for a solid mount.

I could just play a regular character and devout all my ASIs to feats, but I feel like this is an unusual opportunity to play something that is normally too MAD to work.

So far it looks like the party has a rogue, a paladin, a wizard, a ranged fighter, and a druid. So, anything is open. The character is for Dungeon of the Mad Mage, so expecting a lot of fights and traps, low RP. AL rules limit source books to PHB +1 other. Stat generation is via point buy.

I would play a monk.

I would use GWM and a maul for 2 attacks

And then kick as my unarmed strike as my bonus action.

Why not? Still level up a monk as normal, but I would grab GWM. Could be fun.

Kensai

Warlush
2019-01-13, 11:59 AM
I think a shadow monk would be fun, if you have the grappler feat you can restrain someone in magic darkness and beat the christ out of them. Be a half orc and take prodigy and expertise athletics.

I mean your group has some squshies and a ranged fighter with the paladin being the only dedicated front liner. So a grappler build is most appealing to me. Also you should squeeze an NPC's head till it pops al la The mountain.

Aett_Thorn
2019-01-13, 03:23 PM
Gnome Barbarian, no question. No need to fear a saving throw, ever. Even if you can’t multiclass, you’re fine. Focus on Dex and Con, but take something like the Sage background to play into the fact that you’re smart as well. Wear a wizard robe and wait until an enemy gets close and then wail on them.

AHF
2019-01-13, 03:45 PM

Why disguise yourself? Just literally be the old man whose belt makes him stronger than the strongest fighter in the kingdom.

I think you have to go Gnome, old man, 11 year old girl or some other mix that is historically assumed to be physically weak on sight.

ccjmk
2019-01-13, 03:54 PM
From what I've seen you have already tried grapplers, STR wizards and the likes..

So you seem like an exotic player, and my previous experience with people who love carefully crafter builds is that they often miss the most straight-forward ones!

Hence, I'd suggest a Vuman (dual wielding) fighter 1 (for the fighting style) / bear totem barb X. Grab two battle axes, and go ham with your ASIs on CON, then DEX when that's maxed out. Barbs make pretty awesome dual wielders, as Rage damage triggers on every hit, and with Bear Totem you will be nigh unbreakable.

You can also just play whatever race you fancy, and instead of grabbing dual wielding, just use two handaxes. Damage difference is almost none, you can throw them, but will have to remember to always have at least one axe in your hand and will be missing +1 AC. Bugbear is a good pick, at it will give you +5ft reach on your weapons.

Another good one is Mountain Dwarf War Wizard; you get Battleaxe and medium armor proficiency from race, lock DEX at 14, and then focus on INT and CON while you smash people with your axe, and have +2 AC as a reaction at will from War Wizard. The saving throw bonus is also bonkers, imo.

But we all know gishes without SCAG cantrips are a little sad, so why not pick SCAG as your PHB+1 and go High Elf Bladesinger while you are at it? Elves are proficient with the longsword, so you can just cut and slash with that gleefully while you focus on getting your INT to 20.

HappyDaze
2019-01-13, 03:54 PM
I'm not a "muscle wizard" fan, but some clerics can really benefit from being able to make good melee attacks while focusing on Wisdom.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-13, 04:16 PM
I would build a melee focused cleric.

Buy great wis and con, use item for str.

Hill dwarf forge cleric.

Derpldorf
2019-01-13, 05:19 PM
A four year old Bardbarian, be the sweetest little thing that brings "Temper tantrum" whole new levels.

CTurbo
2019-01-13, 06:27 PM
Lizardfolk War Cleric focused on grappling. You can grapple/restrain an enemy while making 2 bite attacks(one of which would benefit from Divine Strike) while pinning them in your Spirit Guardians

or

Beautiful girl Barbarian in her late teens/early 20s wearing a pretty dress(unarmored defense), human or maybe Half-Elf

Foxhound438
2019-01-13, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't go for a crazy multiclass, I'd go for a feat greedy paladin. You get to have +5's in strength and charisma by level 8, so you can pick up inspiring leader, polearm master, sentinel, and resilient or something of that nature without sacrificing your attack bonus. Maybe you can even find a way to get an amulet of health for a +4 in con as well.

Aaron Underhand
2019-01-13, 06:42 PM
I have a vhuman horizon walker 5/cleric x with mage initiate druid for shillelagh and magic stone. This character would be much more effective with the belt and GWM at 1st level...

Neknoh
2019-01-13, 06:55 PM
A Loxodon Grappling Monk if Loxodons are allowed.

It's incredibly flavourful, he gets the Wisdom and Con that he will need and you can pump dext manually.

Make him Way of Shadow to be able to bamf in and out of shadows and cast darkness, like a god damned 8ft tall, 500 pound heavy elephant batman.

Remember, you can use strength with unarmed attacks.

Spiritchaser
2019-01-13, 07:55 PM
I’d probably do a monkadin, though I’d talk to my DM first. By raw, item raised stats are not forbidden from counting for class prerequisites, though I can imagine many DMs deciding otherwise.

Still, if they didn’t feel the need to forbid it, dumping strength could allow decent cha wis and con, Dex would likely have to be meh.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-13, 08:36 PM
Warlock, pact of the blade, pole arm master.

That's what I'd do with that belt. Probably make an Aasimar.

PeteNutButter
2019-01-14, 09:13 PM
I would play a monk.

I would use GWM and a maul for 2 attacks

And then kick as my unarmed strike as my bonus action.

Why not? Still level up a monk as normal, but I would grab GWM. Could be fun.

Kensai

Sadly Kensei doesn't work with GWM. No heavy weapons allowed. But I could just do it with another monk subclass, dropping it every round...

From what I've seen you have already tried grapplers, STR wizards and the likes..

So you seem like an exotic player, and my previous experience with people who love carefully crafter builds is that they often miss the most straight-forward ones!

Hence, I'd suggest a Vuman (dual wielding) fighter 1 (for the fighting style) / bear totem barb X. Grab two battle axes, and go ham with your ASIs on CON, then DEX when that's maxed out. Barbs make pretty awesome dual wielders, as Rage damage triggers on every hit, and with Bear Totem you will be nigh unbreakable.

You can also just play whatever race you fancy, and instead of grabbing dual wielding, just use two handaxes. Damage difference is almost none, you can throw them, but will have to remember to always have at least one axe in your hand and will be missing +1 AC. Bugbear is a good pick, at it will give you +5ft reach on your weapons.

Another good one is Mountain Dwarf War Wizard; you get Battleaxe and medium armor proficiency from race, lock DEX at 14, and then focus on INT and CON while you smash people with your axe, and have +2 AC as a reaction at will from War Wizard. The saving throw bonus is also bonkers, imo.

But we all know gishes without SCAG cantrips are a little sad, so why not pick SCAG as your PHB+1 and go High Elf Bladesinger while you are at it? Elves are proficient with the longsword, so you can just cut and slash with that gleefully while you focus on getting your INT to 20.

I was considering the barbarian that actually uses their unarmored AC. It's normally a trap, but if you start with the str capped, you aren't losing much other than feats.

I would build a melee focused cleric.

Buy great wis and con, use item for str.

Hill dwarf forge cleric.

I could maybe do this. I wonder how much melee damage a cleric can actually manage. BB could work.

Lizardfolk War Cleric focused on grappling. You can grapple/restrain an enemy while making 2 bite attacks(one of which would benefit from Divine Strike) while pinning them in your Spirit Guardians

I do love me some lizardfolk. The belt would fix the race's biggest drawback of not getting a boost to str (claws)/dex (scales). That could be worked with.

Warlock, pact of the blade, pole arm master.

That's what I'd do with that belt. Probably make an Aasimar.

My only warlock is a tri-classed character. I might like to play a primary warlock.

So many decisions, and I've another week to decide. :smalleek:

CTurbo
2019-01-14, 11:43 PM
I think War or Tempest make the best melee Clerics. Forge may have an edge in AC, but cannot match the damage of the other two.

I made a melee focused Tempest Cleric with Warcaster, Booming Blade, and Sentinel. I was able to hit pretty hard with my reaction attack or at least use Wrath of the Storm. Turns out that I was erroneously using Divine Strike with my reaction attack though, but still. 20-21AC + Booming Blade + Spiritual Weapon + Spirit Guardians and you can really dish our a lot of damage in melee.

Citan
2019-01-15, 06:13 PM

What should I play?

Hi!

Well, easy enough to give ideas "in general".
- Grappler Monks made even better (still tack one or two Rogue levels on it).
- GWM Bard for kicks.
- Shepherd Druid mounting one of his conjured animals while using a lance (I guess a starting level of Fighter would help there).
- The classic Fighter 1 / Abjurer X, except actually going into the fight.
And more generally any idea that would generally be difficult because of MADness (like Monk / Paladin or Bladesinger Wizard / Trickery Cleric / Swords Bard^^).

For you in particular, considering your expected party, I'd try to make a multiclass that uses up classes not yet taken as still can work well.

Aforementioned Grappler Monk could be nice: pick a race that offers single-stat based Unarmored AC so you won't care about Monk's DEX+WIS, pick either Drunken Master to tag-team with Paladin or 4E for long-run goodness (especially with Druid's SPike Growth). Pick 1 or 2 levels of Rogue if you really want expertise and free Dash.

Variants on the same topic of "go catch and pull back": pick Aarakocra, mix Monk with any caster giving Haste. (and Enlarge while you're at it).

Or you could make a crazy gish mix starting at level 8 with Fighter 2, Bladesinger 2, Rogue 2, Tempest Cleric 2, using bonus action on movement or bladesong while using Booming Blade as your action.

Or simply play a regular multiclass and use that high STR to bear heavy armor and be done with it. ^^

I'm sorry my brain is just some bad jelly since several days I have trouble keeping thoughts together so no great idea. ^^

EDIT: Aaaand I just see a big proof of that. You're looking for a character to enter "Dungeon of the Mad Mage". DUNGEON. D.U.N.G.E.O.N.
Sooo... I wouldn't expect either large rooms or even high ceilings, which means even if you were gonna play a pure lvl 9 Monk you'd still have trouble using its mobility.
Then forget the grappler monk. ^^

GlenSmash!
2019-01-15, 06:34 PM
I'd do an Unarmored Barbarian since my home group games have all been point buy, and I've never gone that route.

I'd go variant human to get GWM from the get go. Probably gong Zealot at 3.

PeteNutButter
2019-01-26, 08:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going for something that is a little MAD, but not too crazy.

I built a Gloom Stalker 5/Divine Sorcerer 3. 8(21), 14, 16, 9, 14, 13 Variant Human. ASIs Mobile, Warcaster. Started Sorc 1 for con saves.

The idea is to use shadow blade and make too many attacks with it. Using a third level slot for 3d8+7 x3 + 1d8 damage on round one is just devastating on an 8th level character. It's pretty easy to get into dim light or darkness to get advantage on all those attacks as well.

I just played the character, and was solidly impressed with its performance. I did good damage and was fairly survivable thanks to shield spell and mobile. The other characters at the table also had 20s in their main stats, but I was able to get that along with a build enabling feat and a MAD concept. I took the Mobile feat, because I also had Winged Boots unlocked, and couldn't pass on that.

I hit 9th level, picking up fighter (going for that even sillier amount of attacks in action surge). From there the frequent advantage and high amount of damage dice makes champion tempting (it's about +1.3 damage per attack). After that, I'll be looking at more sorcerer levels to keep scaling the shadow blade or maybe some rogue levels.