PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Very specific question about Polymorph

Rakku
2019-01-13, 01:32 AM
Yes, 3.5's Poly is still confusing players. I've resolved most of my quarrels with the spell but one thing still escapes me.

Some monsters that have special attacks that require saves clarify that the DC for that saving throw is "constitution based". For example, the War Troll's "Dazing Blow" or the Guardian Naga's poison say "The save DC is Constitution-based". What does that mean exactly? Does it mean that the DC is dependant on the monster's Con modifier? If so, could that DC be raised if it's constitution score gets buffed or lowered if it gets reduced?

If I turn into a Guardian Naga (Poison DC 19) and buff my constitution score from 19 (+4) to 21 (+5), does that mean that the DC to resist my poison would change to 20?

Thanks in advance.

Bronk
2019-01-13, 09:02 AM
Yes, if the constitution modifier is raised, the ability's DC is also raised. The rules for those kinds of abilities are here:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#specialAbilities

Remuko
2019-01-13, 05:45 PM
DCs for special abilities are almost universally: 10 + 1/2 HD + Ability Modifier (usually Con or Cha). If HD or Con/Cha changes, the DC changes with it.

XionUnborn01
2019-01-13, 10:37 PM
As others have said, you're correct. The biggest reason for listing it is so the DM knows what the save is if the players use a debuff or the monster has an ally using a buff.

Rakku
2019-01-17, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. I hope I can now cast this spell without any problems.

KillianHawkeye
2019-01-17, 11:55 AM
As others have said, you're correct. The biggest reason for listing it is so the DM knows what the save is if the players use a debuff or the monster has an ally using a buff.

The other reason is in case you're using an advanced version of the monster which could have higher Hit Dice or ability scores through natural progression.