PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next rferries' Serpentfolk for 5E (PEACH)

InfiniteNothing
2019-01-13, 11:00 PM
I recently decided to try my hand at homebrewing by updating a 3.5e race to 5E. All credit for the original (and for the fluff text down to the 'Adventurers' heading) goes to rferries. Check out the original work here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?529161-Serpentfolk-(low-power-yuan-ti-for-PCs)

- - -

Serpentfolk
Physical Description: Serpentfolk have arms and upper bodies of humanoid build, but serpentine heads and lower bodies. Their populations are divided roughly into those of constrictor and venomous lineages; constrictors resemble pythons, boas, anacondas, and similar snakes. Serpentfolk of venomous lineage resemble cobras, rattlesnakes, vipers, and the like. Constrictors are larger and more muscular than the slender and regal venomous serpentfolk.

Society: Serpentfolk are native to warmer climes, particularly deserts and jungles. As with their lizardfolk cousins there is a divide between tribal serpentfolk and those who build great civilizations (some of which that have endured since antiquity). Constrictor serpentfolk are the warriors and laborers, whereas Venomous serpentfolk are the diplomats, rulers, and spellcasters.

Relations: Tribal serpentfolk may form alliances with neighboring humanoid settlements, but more often keep to themselves. Civilized serpentfolk are well aware of the drawbacks of their Intelligence and are more likely to form alliances for trade and skilled contractors... but they are equally likely to engage on campaigns of conquest to acquire servants or even slaves to serve the same purpose.

Alignment and Religion: Tribal serpentfolk religion is organized around druidic worship. Civilized serpentfolk are more likely to worship actual deities - particular Egyptian-themed pantheons in deserts and Aztec-themed pantheons in jungles. Serpentfolk themselves are inclined towards neutrality but are generally swayed by their deities - tales abound of Apophis-worshipping murderous cults and benevolent Quetzalcoatl-worshipping temple-cities.

Adventurers: Tribal serpentfolk are occasionally driven to explore the world beyond (especially if sent on quests by their leaders). Civilized serpentfolk are as likely to adventure as any humanoid race.

How the Race views other races (for common races)
General text about how the race interacts with other races.
Dwarves. “Quote”
Elves. “Quote”
Halflings. “Quote”
Humans. “Quote”

Serpentfolk Names
Flavor text
Male Names:
Female Names:
Clan Names:

Serpentfolk Traits
Your serpentfolk character has an assortment of inborn abilities, due to their ophidian nature.
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2
Age. Serpentfolk mature at roughly the same rate as humans, being considered mature at about 20 years old. They can live upwards of 200 years.
Alignment. Serpentfolk do not gravitate toward any alignment naturally, though they are often influenced by the gods their community worships.
Size. Serpentfolk average at 15 feet long, with constrictors potentially growing as large as 20 feet long. Your size is Medium. However, because Serpentfolk have such long tails to balance themselves on, you take up an additional 5 feet of space directly behind you at all times, unless you take the time to curl yourself up, in which case you take up a medium-sized space as normal. (Note: Arm length is 3 feet on average.)
Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. You also have a base swim speed of 30 feet.
Natural Climber. You have the advantage on checks made to climb vertical surfaces.
Serpent’s Bite. You are proficient with your unarmed strikes, which deal 1d4 piercing damage on hit.
Poison Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Forked Tongue. A Serpentfolk can taste things even when they cannot see them. A Serpentfolk gains advantage on passive Perception checks to identify scents within 60 feet. The Serpentfolk's sense of smell is very strong, rivaled to that of a canine.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Cold-Blooded. You have vulnerability to cold damage.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.
Subrace. Two main subraces of serpentfolk populate the worlds of D&D: constrictors and venomous. Choose one of these subraces.

Constrictor
Constrictors resemble pythons, boas, anacondas, and similar snakes. They are larger and stronger than venomous serpentfolk, with multiple rows of backward-curving teeth.
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
Enhanced Bite. The damage of your unarmed strikes increases to 1d6.
Constrict. A constrictor can constrict a Medium or smaller creature with its powerful tail. This takes an action and works like a grapple (PHB page 195) and does 1d6+Strength modifier bludgeoning damage. Each round the constrictor can spend its action to deal an additional 1d6+Strength modifier bludgeoning damage to the grappled creature. To break out of the constriction, the foe must oppose the constrictor in a Strength (Athletics) roll (DC 8+proficiency bonus+Strength modifier). The constrictor can only constrict one target at a time, and cannot move while constricting a target.

Venomous
Venomous serpent folk resemble cobras, adders, mambas, and other venomous snakes. They tend to be more slender and regal-seeming than constrictors.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Intimidating Mien. You have proficiency with the Intimidation skill.
Venomous Bite. You can use your action to make the following attack:
Venomous Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: Your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency modifier to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4 + your Dexterity modifier piercing damage and the target must make a Constitution save. The DC for this save is equal to 8 + your Constitution modifier + your proficiency bonus. The target takes an extra 1d6 poison damage on a failed save, and half as much on a successful save. This poison damage increases to 2d6 at 5th level, and increases again to 3d6 at 11th level.
After you use your venomous bite, you can't use it again until you complete a long or short rest.

- - -

Is it overpowered? Underpowered? Have an idea for the fluff at the beginning? Please, let me know.

InfiniteNothing
2019-01-17, 08:47 PM
After getting some outside input, I decided to remove the Thick Scales trait and edit the Forked Tongue trait to remove the disadvantage opponents have on stealth checks while within 15 feet of the serpentfolk. Still hoping someone on the forum will give me some input.

xkcd44
2019-01-17, 11:35 PM
The Venomous sub-race strikes me as fairly balanced, but the Constrictor might be kinda overtuned. Afaik, 1d6 for unarmed strikes is without parallel (in the currently-released races), and the automatic bludgeoning damage for grappling has the potential to be really strong with a a grappling-based build. Also worth noting that the unarmed attacks are bites -- they can be used with sword/shield or any other weapon equipped. Both features kinda lean in to the grappler build, and while the race isn't exactly "overpowered" (there's not a lot to commend it outside of a grappler build), it's strong enough for one specific archetype to become the dominant option.

I'm not sure how I'd change it exactly, but one thought is to rework the constriction as a long-rest or short-rest ability. It'd also be neat if the dmg scaled to some degree with STR, but with a long-rest based ability you could also just scale up the dice at higher levels. Alternatively, you could keep it at-will try and further restrict it (lol) somehow, maybe by requiring that the target be Grappled and Prone.

InfiniteNothing
2019-01-19, 07:44 PM
I reworked the Constrict ability to require the constrictor to spend its action to deal damage each turn. I also made it clear that the constrictor can only target one creature at a time with the ability and cannot move while constricting (which I'm hoping will make it a little more balanced).