PDA

View Full Version : World In Conflict

Bzar
2007-09-24, 05:56 AM
I'm just wondering if anyone has heard about this game.

It's a fictional-what-if storyline that deals with the Cold War between the USSR and the US if it went hot.

The official website is here (http://www.worldinconflict.com/)

Inigo_Carmine
2007-09-24, 09:39 AM
I've got my eye on it. The trailers look absolutely amazing...graphics that rival last generation FPSs, except its an RTS with hundreds of units going on. The guy who created the story/setting also co-wrote Red Storm Rising with Tom Clancy (a book I really liked with the exception of over-simplification of and heavy-handed good/evil I hate about the other 3-4 Clancy novels I've read). This is basically a videogame with the same premise (Actual all-out war w/ USSR vs Europe/USA in 80s).

Sadly I lack the PC hardware to even go near the game, and I'm holding out on an xbox 360 for a while...I'm waiting for the cooler chipset and I've still got a backlog of older games I'm working through.

I eagerly await the reviews of when this actually comes out.

Bzar
2007-09-24, 11:15 AM
The trailers look absolutely amazing...graphics that rival last generation FPSs, except its an RTS with hundreds of units going on.

Actually, it's not hundreds upon hundreds of units; it's the user manipulating a few units (say, 5 or 6 although I have used 10 before) as a scalpel to do maximum damage. It has a lot to do with micromanaging your forces, which is why it's fun for me. I can't micromanage on a large scale, but I can do it here because I can only control so much, which makes it easier.

Inigo_Carmine
2007-09-24, 11:33 AM
Actually, it's not hundreds upon hundreds of units; it's the user manipulating a few units (say, 5 or 6 although I have used 10 before) as a scalpel to do maximum damage. It has a lot to do with micromanaging your forces, which is why it's fun for me. I can't micromanage on a large scale, but I can do it here because I can only control so much, which makes it easier.

Interesting, I can't micromanage on a large scale either, which is why I play few RTSs (mostly Blizzard ones for good story). If what you say is true I'm even more interested in it.

I misspoke when I said hundreds...I was thinking between 100-200 (or about 60-70 per side). That's just the impression I got from the trailers, as I have not actually seen the game played. Have you played the demo?

Bzar
2007-09-24, 11:40 AM
Well, I can usually control an average of 6 or 7 each time. If you take that for the whole team, it's around 50-some units per team. So it's about 100 units fighting.

And yes, I have played the demo. As well as the game (I have the CE =D).