PDA

View Full Version : Would it be worth it for a longbow user to take the Crossbow Expert feat?

ChildofLuthic
2019-01-14, 08:06 AM
I'm playing a longbow archer (I like the flavor of longbows so I dont want to switch to crossbows). I'm playing a level 5 Vuman fighter with sharpshooter and 18 Dex, and I'm thinking about taking Crossbow Expert at level 6 so I dont get disadvantage on shooting targets within 5 ft.

Is this a waste of a feat? For context, the character has a +1 bow and sharpshooter, but at least half the game takes place in cramped dungeons, so the no disadvantage on ranged attacks within 5ft would be used.

MadBear
2019-01-14, 08:14 AM
I think the answer entirely depends on how often within these cramped dungeons this comes up. If you are finding this happening at least 1-2 times per session, I think it'd be a good feat for you. If it's only something that happens every other session, probably not so much.

BobZan
2019-01-14, 08:15 AM
What's your class?

ChildofLuthic
2019-01-14, 08:18 AM
What's your class?

Fighter/Battlemaster

nickl_2000
2019-01-14, 08:21 AM
So, in my mind you have a few options

1) Draw a melee weapon and just use that when up close
2) Crossbow Expert
3) 2 levels of rogue for 1d6 sneak attack damage and bonus action disengage to move away
4) 3 levels of Rogue for 2d6 sneak attack damage and Rogue scout (move 5 feet away as a reaction is someone ends within 5 feet of you)
5) 3 levels of Rogue for 2d6 sneak attack and Mastermind to have a consistent use of your bonus action.

If UA is allowed
6) 2/3 levels Ranger/Revised Ranger and get the Close Quarters shooter fighting style

What are the best options?
Well if you don't want to multiclass and always want to use your bow, taking xbow expert is probably your best bet. It's almost a feat tax for archer characters.
If you don't mind multiclassing, I would actually look at 3 levels Rogue for a little extra damage per round and either Mastermind, Arcane Trickster, or Scout. I would probably go the route of multiclassing, but that is just me.

If UA is allowed and you have the Wisdom to do it, revised ranger 2 Close Quarter's shooting would be absolutely amazing and allow you to spam hunter's mark damage. If you want to go Ranger 3, you can go Gloom Stalker to get Darkvision and be extremely sneaky.

Misterwhisper
2019-01-14, 09:02 AM
So, in my mind you have a few options

1) Draw a melee weapon and just use that when up close
2) Crossbow Expert
3) 2 levels of rogue for 1d6 sneak attack damage and bonus action disengage to move away
4) 3 levels of Rogue for 2d6 sneak attack damage and Rogue scout (move 5 feet away as a reaction is someone ends within 5 feet of you)
5) 3 levels of Rogue for 2d6 sneak attack and Mastermind to have a consistent use of your bonus action.

If UA is allowed
6) 2/3 levels Ranger/Revised Ranger and get the Close Quarters shooter fighting style

What are the best options?
Well if you don't want to multiclass and always want to use your bow, taking xbow expert is probably your best bet. It's almost a feat tax for archer characters.
If you don't mind multiclassing, I would actually look at 3 levels Rogue for a little extra damage per round and either Mastermind, Arcane Trickster, or Scout. I would probably go the route of multiclassing, but that is just me.

If UA is allowed and you have the Wisdom to do it, revised ranger 2 Close Quarter's shooting would be absolutely amazing and allow you to spam hunter's mark damage. If you want to go Ranger 3, you can go Gloom Stalker to get Darkvision and be extremely sneaky.

To add to this, if UA is allowed just take the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style, it is great.
+1 hit, no Disadvantage, and ignores cover within 30 feet.

If not, then I have seen quite a few people take CBE and use a longbow, but only if they already had Bracers of Archery.
Might as well use a heavy crossbow if you do take it, but carry a HCB just in case for those more short range type fights.

nickl_2000
2019-01-14, 09:07 AM
To add to this, if UA is allowed just take the Close Quarters Shooter fighting style, it is great.
+1 hit, no Disadvantage, and ignores cover within 30 feet.

If not, then I have seen quite a few people take CBE and use a longbow, but only if they already had Bracers of Archery.
Might as well use a heavy crossbow if you do take it, but carry a HCB just in case for those more short range type fights.

I was assuming that the OP was already level 5 and had already taken a fighting style at level 1, so it was to late to get Close Quarter's Shooter then... But yes, if this is an option then it would be much easier to just take it at level 1.

ChildofLuthic
2019-01-14, 09:19 AM
I was assuming that the OP was already level 5 and had already taken a fighting style at level 1, so it was to late to get Close Quarter's Shooter then... But yes, if this is an option then it would be much easier to just take it at level 1.

Yeah I'm level 5. I'll also mention that my DM said he prefers not to have UA unless there's no other way to do something (like the Eberron races).

nickl_2000
2019-01-14, 09:24 AM
Yeah I'm level 5. I'll also mention that my DM said he prefers not to have UA unless there's no other way to do something (like the Eberron races).

Then we are down to

1) Melee weapon
2) Crossbow Expert
3) Rogue Multiclass

2 level for bonus action disengage
3 levels for scout to be able to reaction move away as well
3 levels for mastermind to get a good reliable use of bonus action when you don't have to disengage.

TheTeaMustFlow
2019-01-14, 09:24 AM
Not yet.

At your current level you will be much better served by simply getting your dexterity to 20 and switching to a rapier if pressured in close combat. Your rapier attacks will thus be almost as effective as a bow with crossbow expert would be in this rare circumstance, your AC will be better, and most importantly you will be better at actual ranged fighting, which is your actual job which you do most of the time.

After you have gotten dexterity to 20, however, crossbow expert becomes worth considering. Personally I would still take feats like resilient (dex/wis), alert, or simple con increases over it, but the difference there is much smaller.

Zanthy1
2019-01-14, 09:32 AM
Agreeing with TheTeaMustFlow. Getting Dex to 20 now and using a rapier in close quarters situations is much better than taking the feat. Still use your bow all the time, but if somehow a baddie gets within 5ft of you, swap to rapier. Makes sense historically as well because many archers would have a small side blade for these exact situations (because not everyone is as skilled as Legolas and can get deadly stabs with his arrows)

PeteNutButter
2019-01-14, 09:39 AM
To answer the question is CBE it worth it? I'd say no.

If I found this problem coming up a lot, I'd lean towards the rogue dip to solve it permanently. Scout would even solve it as a reaction if you find a better use for your bonus action. Dipping rogue is already a great option for archers, so it's no real loss. Spend your ASI on dex.

There are other things at play here. If this is happening often enough for you to consider using an ASI, perhaps the problem isn't you but your team. What is your party makeup? If the dungeons are cramped that makes it much easier for one or two characters to hold the front. Does the party have no front liners? Is the DM making all enemies gun straight for you because he/she hates the ridiculous SS damage?

Without knowing more information I feel like this is the sort of problem that is solvable by better tactics between you and your party. I get that there are times where this will happen, enemies attack from behind and whatnot, but in general it shouldn't be so often that you need to take a feat for it. It should be rare enough that you wouldn't mind taking an OA or disengaging, especially in cramped dungeons.

Mikal
2019-01-14, 10:42 AM
Question- If you're fighting in cramped spaces, why aren't your melee party members getting in the way of the enemies and OAing them when they try to get past?

Even in cramped spaces, it should be a somewhat rare thing to be stuck at 5ft with enemies.

Trampaige
2019-01-14, 12:51 PM
What about simply drawing a rapier with your item interaction, stabbing it with pushing attack to knock it back, drop the weapon free action, and using your second attack to shoot it? If for some reason you didn't pick pushing already, you can get it at lvl7 for free or lvl6 take martial adept for an additional superiority die.