PDA

View Full Version : Optimization So, prestige classes

Tria
2019-01-14, 09:03 AM
I might multiclass but for now, I wanna get as big and badass as possible.
Obviously I want monkeygrip so I can upgrade to huge.
I'll be getting a keen scythe once my character can afford it.

But I'm wanting to plan ahead for a prestige class.

The sheet is for a Feral gargun fighter. I would post a link but I can't till I get ten posts

liquidformat
2019-01-14, 09:10 AM
I would suggest taking a two level dip of barbarian with lion spirit totem for pounce and wolf totem for improved trip. That should help you quite a bit across the board. As far as prcs maybe go with war hulk it is a bit of a wacky but fun class.

Tria
2019-01-14, 09:19 AM
Sadly the feral gargun is a medium creature. I might be able to get a perma enlarge....

liquidformat
2019-01-14, 10:05 AM
I believe powerful build allows you to take war hulk, or at least I have never come across a dm who has read that ability otherwise since it has the sentence ' the feral gargun is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him' and qualifying for a prc seems to fit nicely into that.

Anyways, taking two levels of psychic warrior and expansion power so you can increase your size is a great choice even though you will loose 1 bab.

thethird
2019-01-14, 10:21 AM
Don't take monkeygrip. It is a trap option, specially if you already have powerful build because the (small) benefit would be superseded by powerful build.

Also note that feral gargun has +2 LA and 2 RHD, it might not be a good idea to take it, over say goliath (which only has +1 LA, if you want the powerful build). Also, feral gargun is a monstrous humanoid so enlarge won't work, expansion does though keep that in mind.

For the same LA and HD you would get more mileage of a feral (+1 LA) goliath (+1 LA) barbarian 2 (check the goliath barbarian substitution levels). And the theme would be pretty similar so you could most likely keep the visuals if that's what you would like. If you don't have free LA (or aren't playing with LA buy off) I would definitively drop the feral template, only keep the goliath.

If what you are trying to get is big though, you might want to go half giant psychic warrior for easy access to expansion while keeping the powerful build.

Tria
2019-01-14, 10:59 AM
Gargan has better stats though than the goliath. And wielding a huge scythe would be fun.

I can buy off the LA though

Remuko
2019-01-14, 11:28 AM
Gargan has better stats though than the goliath. And wielding a huge scythe would be fun.

I can buy off the LA though

You cant buy off the two mandatory racial hit die though. Are the bonus stats worth two entire lost levels of stuff? Seems unlikely to me.

Tria
2019-01-14, 01:38 PM
You cant buy off the two mandatory racial hit die though. Are the bonus stats worth two entire lost levels of stuff? Seems unlikely to me.

Have you seen the stat bonuses for feral gargun. +6 strength

Falontani
2019-01-14, 01:57 PM
Feral Water Orc will be a better choice for str, and still have no RHD, you could use those two levels to take stoneblessed to become a "goliath" and still take Mountain Rage. Mountain Rage is amazing because it gives you the stat adjustments of becoming large (from MM page 290) as well as the bonuses from rage. You could even throw some bear warrior on there so that when you get bigger you grab the bear stat adjustments which aren't small.

liquidformat
2019-01-14, 02:21 PM
Have you seen the stat bonuses for feral gargun. +6 strength

Goliath + Feral template gives more str and con than the feral gargun without the 2rhd and it has a number of extra racial features on top of that. It is better bang for your buck. at ECL 4 you could either have feral goliath with 2 barb levels or feral gargun with 2 rhd.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-01-14, 02:28 PM
On the subject of getting large, is third party allowed? The BoEF gets a bad rap, but the races are fantastic. A personal favorite of mine is the Giantborn template, which among other things gives you enlarge on yourself 1/day at 5th level and permanently increases your size (with all attendant bonuses) at 10th level. +2 LA, can be applied to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid.

Tria
2019-01-14, 02:47 PM
No third party sadly

ATHATH
2019-01-14, 04:14 PM
Do you want to be big (and wield a big weapon), or just wield a big weapon?

Icarium
2019-01-14, 04:15 PM
On the subject of getting large, is third party allowed? The BoEF gets a bad rap, but the races are fantastic. A personal favorite of mine is the Giantborn template, which among other things gives you enlarge on yourself 1/day at 5th level and permanently increases your size (with all attendant bonuses) at 10th level. +2 LA, can be applied to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid.

What book is BoEF?

ATHATH
2019-01-14, 04:16 PM
What book is BoEF?
Trust me, you don't wanna know.

If you simply must know, it's the Book of Erotic Fantasy.

Also, I think I ninja'd you (posted while you were writing your post).

Tria
2019-01-14, 04:38 PM
What book is BoEF?

Sadly they don't allow Book of Erotic Fantasy.... All I wanted was Chaste Life.

Tria
2019-01-14, 04:47 PM
Do you want to be big (and wield a big weapon), or just wield a big weapon?

Either way is fine, pretty set on war hulk for prestige class at least