PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Three New Sorcerer Origins: Fey, Fiends, and Titans

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-14, 12:29 PM
Fey Origin
Nature Magic: Your connection to the forces of nature allows you to learn spells normally associated with the Druid class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the druid spell list or the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.

Fey Trickery: You learn the Minor Illusion and Friends cantrips, which do not count against the number of Sorcerer cantrips you know.

Beguiling Spell: Beginning at 6th level, if a target fails their save against one of your Enchantment or Illusion spells, they are unaware that it was cast on them—they assume that anything they see or feel as a result of the spell is a natural response.

In addition, being in combat does not grant advantage on saves against your charm spells, such as Charm Person.

Elusive Laughter: Beginning at 14th level, when an enemy attacks you, you may use your reaction to teleport up to 30ft in any direction, leaving behind an illusionary copy of yourself until the beginning of your next turn. This imposes disadvantage on the attack roll.

Dreams of Delirium: Beginning at 18th level, when a Humanoid damages you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cast Charm Person on them without expending a spell slot. They receive no bonus on their save for being in combat, but if they succeed, they cannot be affected by this ability again until you have completed a long rest.

-----------------------

Fiend Origin
Fiendish Magic: The following spells are considered Sorcerer spells for you:
Cantrips: Thaumaturgy, Toll the Dead
1st: Inflict Wounds, Hellish Rebuke
2nd: Enthrall, Ray of Enfeeblement
3rd: Bestow Curse, Summon Lesser Demons
4th: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Summon Greater Demon
5th: Contact Other Plane, Infernal Calling

Harvest Pain: When you damage a creature with a spell of first level or higher, you may use your reaction to gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Harvest Life: Beginning at 6th level, when you reduce a creature of CR 1 or higher to zero hit points, you may use your reaction to gain one sorcery point. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level.

Fiendskin: Beginning at 14th level, you may spend 1 sorcery point as a bonus action to gain resistance to cold, fire, lightning, and poison damage for 1 hour.

Harvest Soul: Beginning at 18th level, when a creature of CR 1 or higher within 60ft is reduced to zero hit points, you may use your reaction to devour its soul. The creature immediately dies and cannot be resurrected by anything short of divine intervention, and you gain one additional sixth level spell slot, which lasts until you take a long rest. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again until you have completed a long rest.

-----------------------

Titan Origin
Martial Instinct: Titans are among the finest warriors in the cosmos; even diluted, their blood carries with it the memories of a thousand battles. You gain proficiency in light and medium armor, shields, and with all simple and martial weapons. In addition, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class

Shoulders of Atlas: At 1st level, you learn the Titan Strike cantrip (below), which does not count against the number of Sorcerer cantrips you know. You also count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Titan Strike
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and is pushed 5ft in a direction of your choice.

This spell’s effect increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the target is pushed 10ft and takes an additional 1d8 force damage. At 11th level, they are pushed 15ft and take an additional 2d8 damage, and at 17th level they are pushed 20ft and take an additional 4d8 force damage.

Unflinching Pursuit: Beginning at 6th level, after a cantrip which requires you to make a melee weapon attack, your movement speed for the round increases by 10ft and you may make a melee weapon attack as a bonus action. At 11th level, your movement speed is increased by 15ft, and at 17th level by 20ft.

Aftershock: Beginning at 14th level, when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you may cause the ground around your feet to shake. All creatures in a 30ft radius must make Strength saves (with a DC as normal for your spells) or be knocked prone and take 1d6 damage per level of the spell.

Statue of Chronos: Beginning at 18th level, you may spend 1 Sorcery Point as a bonus action to increase your size up to two categories. If you increase your size by one category, this functions as the Enlarge function of the Enlarge/Reduce spell, but it lasts for one hour and does not require concentration. If you increase your size by two categories, you gain an additional +5 bonus to Strength checks and saves, and your weapon attacks deal one extra die of their damage when you hit with them. These bonuses stack with the normal benefits of the Enlarge/Reduce spell, and also last for one hour. You may return to your normal size as another bonus action.

theVoidWatches
2019-01-14, 12:45 PM
As currently written, Harvest Soul currently gives you a new spell slot - I assume it's intended to instead let you regain one expended spell slot, rather than allow you to gain arbitrarily high amounts of 6th-level spell slots. Additionally, it should probably be limited to spell slots of 5th level or below.

As currently written, Statue of Chronos seems to let you increase your size but not to shrink down again.
Also, enlarging by 2 sizes presumably gives you the benefits of Enlarge as well as the +5 to Str rolls and extra damage dice, but as written it doesn't currently do that (since you specify that enlarging by one size gives you Enlarge).
Also, it seems like you mean for there to be a time limit on 2 sizes (while 1 size category is indefinite), but there currently isn't one.

I suggest swapping Harvest Life and Fiendskin, just so that you get a Sorcery Point option sooner. Alternatively, since Fiendskin is the odd ability out for not triggering on an attack, have it give you resistance to damage dealt by a creature you hit with a 1+ level spell. Or something else, I dunno - but match it to the other abilities where it triggers on damaging or killing an enemy.

Vogie
2019-01-15, 09:26 AM
Fey Origin
Nature Magic: Your connection to the forces of nature allows you to learn spells normally associated with the Druid class. When your Spellcasting feature lets you learn a sorcerer cantrip or a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, you can choose the new spell from the druid spell list or the sorcerer spell list. You must otherwise obey all the restrictions for selecting the spell, and it becomes a sorcerer spell for you.

Fey Trickery: You learn the Minor Illusion and Friends cantrips, which do not count against the number of Sorcerer cantrips you know.

Beguiling Spell: Beginning at 6th level, if a target fails their save against one of your Enchantment or Illusion spells, they are unaware that it was cast on them—they assume that anything they see or feel as a result of the spell is a natural response.

Elusive Laughter: Beginning at 14th level, when an enemy attacks you, you may use your reaction to teleport up to 30ft in any direction, leaving behind an illusionary copy of yourself until the beginning of your next turn. This imposes disadvantage on the attack roll.

Dreams of Delirium: Beginning at 18th level, when an enemy damages you with a melee attack, you may use your reaction to cast Charm Person on them. They receive no bonus on their save for being in combat, but if they succeed, they cannot be affected by this ability again until you have completed a long rest.

I'd like to see Beguiling Spell to be a bit stronger. Right now it's only useful out of combat.

Elusive Laughter seems to want to be two things. It can either be a way to impose disadvantage, or an Illusory Self/Misty Escape type of ability. If someone swings a hammer at you, and you bamf 30 ft away, they shouldn't still be able to hit you (due to advantage that you're cancelling out, or just really great rolls)

Dreams of Delirium should be "When a Humanoid damages you...", should indicate if the Charm Person cast uses a spell slot or not.

Fiend Origin
Fiendish Magic: The following spells are considered Sorcerer spells for you:
Cantrips: Thaumaturgy, Toll the Dead
1st: Inflict Wounds, Hellish Rebuke
2nd: Enthrall, Ray of Enfeeblement
3rd: Bestow Curse, Summon Lesser Demons
4th: Evard’s Black Tentacles, Summon Greater Demon
5th: Contact Other Plane, Infernal Calling

Harvest Pain: When you damage a creature with a spell of first level or higher, you may use your reaction to gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier.

Harvest Life: Beginning at 6th level, when you reduce a creature of CR 1 or higher to zero hit points, you may use your reaction to gain one sorcery point. You can never have more sorcery points than shown on the table for your level.

Fiendskin: Beginning at 14th level, you may spend 1 sorcery point as a bonus action to gain resistance to cold, fire, lightning, and poison damage for 1 hour.

Harvest Soul: Beginning at 18th level, when you reduce a creature of CR 1 or higher to zero hit points, you may use your reaction to devour its soul. The creature cannot be resurrected by anything short of divine intervention, and you gain one additional sixth level spell slot. Once you have used this ability, you cannot do so again until you have completed a long rest.

I like Harvest soul, provided you are refreshing a spell slot rather than gaining a brand new one. I can't tell if the anti-resurrection rider is too powerful or not.

I think you'd want to avoid having 2 class features require making the killing blow... it's just too swingy. You could have several days where you just don't get your class features because your spell got the targets down to mostly-dead (slightly alive), and someone else does the killing blow.

Titan Origin
Martial Instinct: Titans are among the finest warriors in the cosmos; even diluted, their blood carries with it the memories of a thousand battles. You gain proficiency in light and medium armor, shields, and with all simple and martial weapons. In addition, your hit point maximum increases by 1 and increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level in this class

Shoulders of Atlas: At 1st level, you learn the Titan Strike cantrip (below), which does not count against the number of Sorcerer cantrips you know. You also count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.

Titan Strike
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round

As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature within the spell’s range, otherwise the spell fails. On a hit, the target suffers the attack’s normal effects and is pushed 5ft in a direction of your choice.

This spell’s effect increases when you reach higher levels. At 5th level, the target is pushed 10ft and takes an additional 1d8 force damage. At 11th level, they are pushed 15ft and take an additional 2d8 damage, and at 17th level they are pushed 20ft and take an additional 4d8 force damage.

Unflinching Pursuit: Beginning at 6th level, after a cantrip which requires you to make a melee weapon attack, your movement speed for the round increases by 10ft and you may make a melee weapon attack as a bonus action. At 11th level, your movement speed is increased by 15ft, and at 17th level by 20ft.

Trembling Strike: Beginning at 14th level, when you cast a spell of 1st level or higher, you may cause the ground around your feet to shake. All creatures in a 30ft radius must make Strength saves (with a DC as normal for your spells) or be knocked prone and take 1d6 damage per level of the spell.

Statue of Chronos: Beginning at 18th level, you may increase your size up to two categories as a bonus action. If you increase your size by one category, this functions as the Enlarge function of the Enlarge/Reduce spell, but it lasts indefinitely and does not require concentration. If you increase your size by two categories, you gain an additional +5 bonus to Strength checks and saves, and your weapon attacks deal one extra die of their damage when you hit with them.

I like this.

Martial Instinct should probably be a little limited in some way. Maybe remove access to heavy weapons? Maybe only allowing heavy weapons when you have a strength of X or higher? I wouldn't want it to be so over the top that you remove all reasons to MC into martial classes

Unflinching Pursuit should just give the faux-extra-attack, regardless if you're using a cantrip for a melee attack, or just melee attacking.

Should Trembling Strike (probably should be named something like Trembling Stomp, Aftershock, or Earthcasting) have a DC based on the PC's Strength instead?

Statue of Chronos seems like it should have some way to turn it off, or a duration of some sort. Also, something that makes sure you can't just keep growing (Atlas Much?). In addition, it should have some downside. In my Giantman archetype for Rogues (the Quantum Trickster), I had included:

your AC increases by 2, but all attack rolls against you are rolled with advantage.
You have a -10 to Stealth Checks, and cannot be hidden except by magical means.
but you can do something similar.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-01-15, 10:55 AM
As currently written, Harvest Soul currently gives you a new spell slot - I assume it's intended to instead let you regain one expended spell slot, rather than allow you to gain arbitrarily high amounts of 6th-level spell slots. Additionally, it should probably be limited to spell slots of 5th level or below.
Regain, yeah. I figured 6th level slots were okay at 18th level, since that's around the time when you get your second daily slot.

As currently written, Statue of Chronos seems to let you increase your size but not to shrink down again.
Also, enlarging by 2 sizes presumably gives you the benefits of Enlarge as well as the +5 to Str rolls and extra damage dice, but as written it doesn't currently do that (since you specify that enlarging by one size gives you Enlarge).
Also, it seems like you mean for there to be a time limit on 2 sizes (while 1 size category is indefinite), but there currently isn't one.
Whoops; will fix.

I suggest swapping Harvest Life and Fiendskin, just so that you get a Sorcery Point option sooner. Alternatively, since Fiendskin is the odd ability out for not triggering on an attack, have it give you resistance to damage dealt by a creature you hit with a 1+ level spell. Or something else, I dunno - but match it to the other abilities where it triggers on damaging or killing an enemy.
Harvest Life is sort of the trademark ability, though-- I don't want to push it that far back.

I'd like to see Beguiling Spell to be a bit stronger. Right now it's only useful out of combat.
Maybe also ignore the penalties for casting charm effects mid-battle?

Elusive Laughter seems to want to be two things. It can either be a way to impose disadvantage, or an Illusory Self/Misty Escape type of ability. If someone swings a hammer at you, and you bamf 30 ft away, they shouldn't still be able to hit you (due to advantage that you're cancelling out, or just really great rolls)
The idea was that "if they miss, it's because you teleported away in time; if they hit, it's because you didn't."

Dreams of Delirium should be "When a Humanoid damages you...", should indicate if the Charm Person cast uses a spell slot or not.
Will fix.

I like Harvest soul, provided you are refreshing a spell slot rather than gaining a brand new one. I can't tell if the anti-resurrection rider is too powerful or not.
It's going to be campaign dependent, but I don't imagine it'll come up often.

I think you'd want to avoid having 2 class features require making the killing blow... it's just too swingy. You could have several days where you just don't get your class features because your spell got the targets down to mostly-dead (slightly alive), and someone else does the killing blow.
Maybe make Harvest Soul "when a target dies within 60ft," and put a 1/short rest limit on it?

Martial Instinct should probably be a little limited in some way. Maybe remove access to heavy weapons? Maybe only allowing heavy weapons when you have a strength of X or higher? I wouldn't want it to be so over the top that you remove all reasons to MC into martial classes
You don't get heavy armor, and if you want to use heavy weapons you're going to be facing some stiff MAD-- you'll want Str for attacking, Cha for casting, Con to survive and 14 Dex to max out your medium armor. I think it's okay.

Unflinching Pursuit should just give the faux-extra-attack, regardless if you're using a cantrip for a melee attack, or just melee attacking.
So just "after making a melee attack, you may make a melee attack as a bonus action?" That could stack alarmingly with Extra Attack... though at the same time, you'd have to invest a heck of a lot of levels to get that combo online...

Should Trembling Strike (probably should be named something like Trembling Stomp, Aftershock, or Earthcasting) have a DC based on the PC's Strength instead?
I didn't want players to have to deal with too many different DCs. Besides, it's triggered by spellcasting...

Statue of Chronos seems like it should have some way to turn it off, or a duration of some sort. Also, something that makes sure you can't just keep growing (Atlas Much?). In addition, it should have some downside. In my Giantman archetype for Rogues (the Quantum Trickster), I had included:
Fair.