PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Looking for Pathfinder Charisma-centric Race

GrayDeath
2019-01-14, 12:38 PM
As the title says (unlike with D&D I dont know half of the choices there^^), I am looking for a way to get as much Charisma Bonus from a non Race Builder built race as I can, without sacrificing either Strength or Wisdom ( a small con penalty is OK, but better not).

We are going to start a "if the big groups cant meet" Old School Good Group, and for the first time in a LOOOONG time I decided to go for a Paladin (no recommendation required there, since the building options are not at question ^^).

Limitations: Must be either first party or "Nonexotic third party" (meaning the world is aside from a few tweaks percectly standard D&D fare, intentionally, Aliens, transdimensional Aberrations and such are out) and be valid from the get go (we start at Level 2).

What do you recommend? Race, Alternate Stats, whatever?

Manyasone
2019-01-14, 01:10 PM
Ahum.... Aasimar pops into mind...
Especially with the variant subraces

GrayDeath
2019-01-14, 01:20 PM
Yeah, while thinking Angel Blooded Aasimar was my first Idea.

But again, my Knowledge is limited, so details, details, details (and of course more suggestions) please! ^^

Mnemius
2019-01-14, 08:26 PM
Catfolk, +2 dex, +2 cha, -2 wis. (Also has a racial ability trade out for natural climb speed)

Ifrit has similar mods, but is burny.

Suli! +2 Str, –2 Int, +2 Cha. Oh, and and the ever popular native outsider type instead of humanoid.

Those are in PF legal materials. I've seen ifrits and Suli's in pathfinder society even. Catfolk... society never made a wide open race, had to boon it.

Digging further into the pfsrd.

Nagaji: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, and –2 Intelligence. (scaley people!)

Merfolk: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, and +2 Charisma and take the racial ability swap that gives you 15 ft land, 30 ft swim?

MeimuHakurei
2019-01-15, 06:15 AM
Humans, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs gain +2 to any stat, which can be Charisma.

Florian
2019-01-15, 06:25 AM
Can't go wrong with Suli.

GrayDeath
2019-01-15, 09:31 AM
Catfolk, +2 dex, +2 cha, -2 wis. (Also has a racial ability trade out for natural climb speed)

Ifrit has similar mods, but is burny.

Suli! +2 Str, –2 Int, +2 Cha. Oh, and and the ever popular native outsider type instead of humanoid.

Those are in PF legal materials. I've seen ifrits and Suli's in pathfinder society even. Catfolk... society never made a wide open race, had to boon it.

Digging further into the pfsrd.

Nagaji: +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, and –2 Intelligence. (scaley people!)

Merfolk: +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, and +2 Charisma and take the racial ability swap that gives you 15 ft land, 30 ft swim?

Hmmm, Suli, actually never heard of them before. Dont look bad, indeed, on a Level with Angel Blooded Aasimars.

THanks

Humans, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs gain +2 to any stat, which can be Charisma.

Obviously I know that a Human always works at least well with any Class. I am not new to PF; merely less than perfectly knowledgable. ^^

Red Fel
2019-01-15, 09:55 AM
As the title says (unlike with D&D I dont know half of the choices there^^), I am looking for a way to get as much Charisma Bonus from a non Race Builder built race as I can, without sacrificing either Strength or Wisdom ( a small con penalty is OK, but better not).

We are going to start a "if the big groups cant meet" Old School Good Group, and for the first time in a LOOOONG time I decided to go for a Paladin (no recommendation required there, since the building options are not at question ^^).

Limitations: Must be either first party or "Nonexotic third party" (meaning the world is aside from a few tweaks percectly standard D&D fare, intentionally, Aliens, transdimensional Aberrations and such are out) and be valid from the get go (we start at Level 2).

What do you recommend? Race, Alternate Stats, whatever?

I'm surprised that nobody thus far has gone with Kitsune (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/). In addition to stats (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str), Kitsune are manipulation-focused from the word "go." As a basic racial trait, they gain +1 to the DC of Enchantment spells, and Cha-based Kitsune can start with a 3/day Dancing Lights SLA. Or they can replace that with a +2 bonus to Bluff and Disguise. They can also replace their native +2 to Acrobatics with a neat little ability that gives the targets of their Diplomacy checks a -2 to resist their Cha checks for the next 24 hours. They also get a Rogue archetype (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-kitsune/kitsune-trickster-rogue-kitsune/) that grants bonuses to Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, and Sense Motive, and grants Charm Person as an SLA.

So, yeah. That's a race with a pretty big Cha focus. The Str penalty isn't great, but the rest is very much what you're looking for.

As an aside, if you're going for a Paladin, it's possible to make a single-target focused Paladin who weaponizes Cha and Wis to the point of almost not needing Str at all.

Geddy2112
2019-01-15, 10:13 AM
If you are into the idea of "paladin of a normally evil or darker race" there are several choices.

Damphir is not ideal for a paladin as they are harmed by positive energy and healed by negative energy, but +2 Dex -2 Con +2 CHA. Their resistances make them good candidates for hunting evil and undead. At higher levels, there are ways around the negative energy affinity.Drow have the same stats as Damphir, with some very strong racial abilities.

A demonspawn or rakshasa blooded tiefling gets a +2 charisma bonus, on top of all the other goodies tieflings normally get. They get +2 Cha, and +2 STR -2 INT(Demonspawn) or +2 DEX -2 WIS(Rakshasa)

Fetchlings are not evil, just extraplanar shadow based races. Similar skills, abilities, and resistances to other extraplanar races, with +2 dex -2 wis and +2 cha.In addition to Red Fel's suggestion to Kitsune, the Vishkanya are a naturally social and manipulator race with +2 dex -2 wis +2 cha.

The extraplanar races mentioned as well as vishkanya all have ways to pass for human or some similar racial ability, in case your setting needs you to look more like one of the more traditional races.

GrayDeath
2019-01-15, 11:42 AM
Hmmm, Tiefling Or Kitsune were totally not on my list.....

Not gonna do Tiefling/Similar, my last Paladin I played for longer than a few sessions was a Half Fiend (LA Buyoff), but Kitsune...thats a really interesting Idea. Very unusual without being out (methinks, must ask the DM if Kitsune exist in the "Classic Setting").

Thanks! Still, keep the Ideas coming!