PDA

View Full Version : A most Cavalier little man! (Mounted Swashbucklers)

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-01-14, 08:31 PM
I have an idea for a Mounted Halfling Swashbuckler. I imagen a Highwayman mounted on the back of a coyote (reskined wolf).

Anyway, if i have the Mounted combatant feat, does the mount benefit from the Fancy Foot Work feature?

PeteNutButter
2019-01-14, 09:02 PM
I have an idea for a Mounted Halfling Swashbuckler. I imagen a Highwayman mounted on the back of a coyote (reskined wolf).

Anyway, if i have the Mounted combatant feat, does the mount benefit from the Fancy Foot Work feature?

No, but you won't need it. The mount can disengage, in which case, neither of you provoke (even without fancy footwork since its not "your movement").

The mount is essentially mobile feat, or fancy footwork for 75 gold.

In order to nerf this JC put out a tweet that says mounts have a separate turn from the rider, but that is inane IMO. Ask your DM.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-01-14, 10:37 PM
Hypothetical scenario taking into account JC tweets:

*I choose to let my mount go first.
*My mount readies an action to dash when I give the command.
*On my turn I give the command and my wolf dashes 80ft.
*When the first enemy comes in range I attack, it's a sneak attack because of Rakish Audacity.
*The enemy takes an opportunity attack against my Mount as it moves out of range, however due to the Mounted Combatant feat, I force him to attack me, which he cannot do because of Fancy Footwork, negating the attack all together.
* As we pass another enemy I use my bonus action to make an off hand attack. Mounted Combatant and Fancy Foot Work work as above.
*my mount comes to a stop after it has used all it's movement and my turn is over.

Does that all track? Would I have to wait until the Wolf to stop before I actually started my turn? I know I could go first and ready an attack, but then I wouldn't get sneak attack, my bonus action, or benefit from Fancy Footwork

I never want to be overpowered both because I wouldn't want to outshine my party members and because I enjoy a challenge. Is these to powerful or, what's the term, too much cheese?

PeteNutButter
2019-01-14, 11:13 PM

*When the first enemy comes in range I attack, it's a sneak attack because of Rakish Audacity.
*The enemy takes an opportunity attack against my Mount as it moves out of range, however due to the Mounted Combatant feat, I force him to attack me, which he cannot do because of Fancy Footwork, negating the attack all together.
* As we pass another enemy I use my bonus action to make an off hand attack. Mounted Combatant and Fancy Foot Work work as above.
*my mount comes to a stop after it has used all it's movement and my turn is over.

Does that all track? Would I have to wait until the Wolf to stop before I actually started my turn? I know I could go first and ready an attack, but then I wouldn't get sneak attack, my bonus action, or benefit from Fancy Footwork

I never want to be overpowered both because I wouldn't want to outshine my party members and because I enjoy a challenge. Is these to powerful or, what's the term, too much cheese?

Won't work on multiple levels RAW.

1) The ready action isn't an action a controlled mount can make, which is limited to dash, dodge, disengage.
2) Fancy footwork prevents you from provoking OAs, not your mount from provoking and you redirecting them to you. Your mount is provoking opportunity attacks in this case, which your class feature has nothing to say about. Once that attack is provoked you could choose to redirect the attack to you. You (or your mount) would still get swatted at.
3) While you can interrupt your own movement with attacks, interrupting a readied dash action with a bonus action is definately not RAW. Consider if an enemy readied an action to dash away from you, should you get a bonus action before he mvoes away? Most certainly not, though you might get an opportunity attack.

In general mounted combat is basically incompatible with fancy footwork.

JackPhoenix
2019-01-15, 05:34 AM

Ready action Dash doesn't do anything. Dash doubles your movement, but it doesn't allow you to move by itself. Also, controlled mount can't use Ready action in the first place.
Rakish Audacity doesn't work, as there's another creature besides the target within 5' of you: your mount. However, the mount qualify you for sneak attack anyway.
Fancy Footwork doesn't work, because the attack against you from Mounted Combatant isn't an Opportunity Attack. It was against the mount, but you haven't provoked OA because it's not your movement.

If you act first and ready an attack, you'll lose your bonus action, but you will get sneak attack (thanks to the mount), and you won't get Fancy Footworks anyway.

Swashbuckler does not work with mounted combat.