PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about spells

Stryyke
2019-01-14, 10:28 PM
Is there a force based spell that functions like a fireball? So instead of fire damage, it would act like a concussive grenade, blasting anything away from the center of the spell.

ericgrau
2019-01-14, 10:56 PM
Is there a force based spell that functions like a fireball? So instead of fire damage, it would act like a concussive grenade, blasting anything away from the center of the spell.

I found a couple similar spells: shard storm (DoT AoE force shards), force missiles (multiple small damage AoE).

As for an actual force damage Area spell, I did a search and came up empty.

Stryyke
2019-01-14, 11:30 PM
Ok. So I couldn't find what I was looking for, so my DM and I made a modified Forcewave spell. This is what we agreed on. I'll share it as a base spell if anyone else wants to use it.

Ripple Wave Sorcerer 2/ Wizard 2

20 ft radius sphere

Range 100 + 10/lvl

Wave has effective strength 18 + 1 for every 2 levels.

Fort DC 10 + 1/2 SL + Cha/INT mod

1d4 damage + 1d4 every 2 caster levels,
max 5d4 at 10

Failed fort save results in Bull Rush (effective strength noted above), knocking any struck prone.
Fliers hit who fail their fort save are knocked out of the sky

Saintheart
2019-01-14, 11:41 PM

If you apply Explosive Spell metamagic you can just apply it to the fireball and achieve literally the same effect, right down to additional damage per 10 feet moved.

Stryyke
2019-01-14, 11:45 PM
If you apply Explosive Spell metamagic you can just apply it to the fireball and achieve literally the same effect, right down to additional damage per 10 feet moved.

That would be fine, except I want to avoid fire because a lot of the quests take place in a city with wooden buildings. I don't want to burn down the city. Thanks for the heads up, though.

Kayblis
2019-01-14, 11:57 PM
Energy Substitution can turn it into Acid, Cold, Electricity or Sonic damage. Most buildings won't get destroyed by those, specially wood ones by electricity. This works for every elemental spell you have.

Stryyke
2019-01-14, 11:58 PM
Energy Substitution can turn it into Acid, Cold, Electricity or Sonic damage. Most buildings won't get destroyed by those, specially wood ones by electricity. This works for every elemental spell you have.

Nice! Is Energy substitution a feat?

Kayblis
2019-01-14, 11:59 PM
Nice! Is Energy substitution a feat?

Yes, a Metamagic feat with simple requirements that doesn't change the effective spell level. A Sonic Fireball is still a 3rd-level spell.

Mordaedil
2019-01-15, 02:50 AM
Sonic Energy Substitution was errata'ed out for 3.5 edition. All soruces that mention sonic are 3.0.

Thurbane
2019-01-15, 03:11 AM
Found some spells that might be of interest:

Crushing First of Spite (BoVD): 5-ft radius cylinder, force damage
Dinosaur Stampede (SC): 20-ft radius spread, force damage
Tail Sweep (RotD): 10-ft radius burst, force damage
Vortex of Teeth (SC): 40-ft radius*, force damage
Wings of Flurry (RotD): 30-ft radius burst, force damage

...there's also the Elven Spell Lore feat (PHB2), which allows you to modify the energy type one particular spell causes. It lacks the "no sonic" restriction of Energy Substitution. A lenient DM might allow it to change a Fireball to force damage, although force isn't technically one of the five listed energy types of 3.5 D&D.