PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Mystic class

Bannan_mantis
2019-01-14, 10:32 PM
one thing I've been wondering is maybe when the mystic will get revised, apparently it's getting revamped and changed a lot from the mainly negative feedback it's gotten and I'm wondering when this new version will be released. Anything been said yet or is it still undecided for now?

Jerrykhor
2019-01-14, 11:31 PM
I like it better than the UA Artificer, that's for sure. No word on their progress, it might need another UA version to get better feedback, but i hope its not going to be Mike Mearls version.

samcifer
2019-01-14, 11:37 PM
Apparently it was ridiculously powerful. One of my group played one and even at lv. 7 it seemed like that character was operating like a character at a much higher level than the rest of the group.

Millstone85
2019-01-15, 02:53 AM
The last time Mearls talked about it in his Happy Fun Hour (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gznSEmZ5HVY&t=52m), he was more or less back to the drawing board.

Psionic Design Goals

Support two of our popular settings. Complexity should be focused on making this an appealing new toy rather than a barrier to entry.

a. Dark Sun

Gear flexible
Wild talents - speedy to use
Psionic monsters - equivalent to spellcasting monsters/NPCs

b. Eberron

Kalashtar story
Dal'Quori

c. Complexity = existing spell system
line
Psionics should provide a new way to use "magic" in D&D. Needs to be clearly and obviously different than a wizard or cleric.

a. New mechanics for 5e

b. Unique spell list/power list
line
Distinct theory and conflict for psionics.

a. Understand how it fits with other forms of magic

b. Understand how it fits into the multiverse and the weave

c. Keep away from the sorcerer/warlock/etc

Millstone85
2019-01-15, 07:22 AM
Thinking about it right now, here is how I would see 5e psionics:

No separation between disciplines, psychic foci, and talents. A psionic discipline is an augmentable stance.
line
Two classes, each with three subclasses:

a. Psion

Telekinetic: specializes in force damage, force fields, and throwing stuff.
Telepath: specializes in psychic damage, mind control, and communication.
Tulpamancer: specializes in imagining friends and making them corporeal.

b. Psychic Warrior

Immortal: specializes in endurance and stickiness.
Nomad: specializes in mobility, including through planes.
Radiant: specializes in inspiring allies and discouraging foes.

A new monastic tradition: the Way of the Soul Knife.

samcifer
2019-01-15, 10:41 AM
Thinking about it right now, here is how I would see 5e psionics:

No separation between disciplines, psychic foci, and talents. A psionic discipline is an augmentable stance.
line
Two classes, each with three subclasses:

a. Psion

Telekinetic: specializes in force damage, force fields, and throwing stuff.
Telepath: specializes in psychic damage, mind control, and communication.
Tulpamancer: specializes in imagining friends and making them corporeal.

b. Psychic Warrior

Immortal: specializes in endurance and stickiness.
Nomad: specializes in mobility, including through planes.
Radiant: specializes in inspiring allies and discouraging foes.

A new monastic tradition: the Way of the Soul Knife.

Ooh! Tulamancer sounds interesting.

Thurmas
2019-01-15, 11:59 AM
Psionic Design Goals

Psionics should provide a new way to use "magic" in D&D. Needs to be clearly and obviously different than a wizard or cleric.

a. New mechanics for 5e

b. Unique spell list/power list
line
Distinct theory and conflict for psionics.

a. Understand how it fits with other forms of magic

b. Understand how it fits into the multiverse and the weave

c. Keep away from the sorcerer/warlock/etc

While it probably will be an entirely new system, I would be interested to see them use the existing format of the Warlock to create the Psion. Essentially an Int based Warlock with appropriate powers. It's a model that already works in the Warlock, so balance issues would be less likely then an entirely new system and it would help to reinforce them format that was created in 5E.

Level 1: Path (Patron) that loosely determines what your character specializes in such as Telepathy or Telekinesis through abilities, as well as Path appropriate bonus spells to choose from.
Level 2+: Powers (Invocations). At will, limited use powerful abilities, or passive effects.
Level 3: Mental Foci (Pacts) Character defining mental tools to better focus (or expand) your character.
Give him a unique spell list which includes appropriate spells from both existing spells as well as a slew of new spells for all classes.

Between the Invocations and Short Rest spell slots I think this would have a great deal of potential to make a great Psion or Mystic without just being another Wizard/Sorcerer/Bard/Cleric/Druid 9 levels of spell progression.

But then, personally I love the Warlock class. I know many people aren't nearly so found of it. If nothing else this was a fun little thought exercise.

Rukelnikov
2019-01-15, 12:13 PM
Apparently it was ridiculously powerful. One of my group played one and even at lv. 7 it seemed like that character was operating like a character at a much higher level than the rest of the group.

I played with a couple Mystics, a Nomad, and another one whose Path I don't remember. 7-10 is probably the peak of the class, they seem specially powerful at that point, then they fall in line, strong, but not OP.