PDA

View Full Version : Backstory Naming Help and how much is to much backstory?

nickl_2000
2019-01-15, 08:14 AM
One question on a backstory of an Ancient's Palandin for Dragon Heist/Mad Mage.

What is a good name for a Smith's shop in the south ward? It is run by a dwarf friend of my PC who is named Magrim Silversmith.

Also, at what point is a backstory to long? This character's backstory is growing over time and starting to get into the silly long realm. It is currently 3 pages long and will be getting a little bit longer after a few DM suggestions on things to fit into the campaign. On the plus side, I feel his is much more real than other characters I had starting out.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-01-15, 08:20 AM
Are you starting at 1st level? Then your backstory should be that of an apprentice, not a master. Backstories should never constrain the story, but should provide hooks for DM (or other player) use.

nickl_2000
2019-01-15, 08:21 AM
Are you starting at 1st level? Then your backstory should be that of an apprentice, not a master. Backstories should never constrain the story, but should provide hooks for DM (or other player) use.

Yes, starting at 1st level. My PC isn't a master smith, he is working for his friend Magrim who is from a Smithing family.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-15, 08:29 AM
We have had a number of threads on back stories here, I'll get you a link in a bit. I'd recommend that you take the background and the ideal, trait, bond, and flaw, and write a 5 sentence (plus or minus two) summary of why your character is now an adventurer, and how they became/chose their class/subclass.
Focus on motivations, and where you can, drop a hook for your DM.
Ancient's Paladin

You can write as long a backstory as you want to, it can be a lot of fun. But for both your DM, and your fellow players, a more focused version needs to be available so that they can get to know your character.

Here is a link to that thread and a post in it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=23530002&postcount=7).

nickl_2000
2019-01-15, 08:32 AM
We have had a number of threads on back stories here, I'll get you a link in a bit. I'd recommend that you take the background and the ideal, trait, bond, and flaw, and write a 5 sentence (plus or minus two) summary of why your character is now an adventurer. Focus on motivations, and where you can, drop a hook for your DM.

I have a summary I've written out as almost a TL:DR. Noble Scion background, Paladin, worships Helm, etc

Currently 25. Grew up in Amphail as a child of a minor noble, best friend Magrim Silversmith who taught me smithing. Learned to appreciate the common folk there. Caused trouble in temple of Helm, learned faith afterwards. Left at 20 with Magrim and set up Smith’s shop in Waterdeep and am a member of the Smith’s guild. Delivered goods throughout Waterdeep getting to know the city guards and city watch. After a fulls days work, I drink hard and met the group in the Yawning Portal tavern. I believe in helping the common people and appreciate the work that commoners do. Also, I am on a personal quest to find a missing family heirloom lost by my father years ago, which I found out about only about a year ago.

Then there is a much, much longer description going out there.

KorvinStarmast
2019-01-15, 08:41 AM
Here are two back story approaches for the same character.

Longer version
A bit more "narrative" in that I tried to fold in the background and flaws/bonds/traits into a story.
Korvin Starmast(life domain cleric):
Mother died in the violet plague. On my third trading voyage, Father was killed by the pirate Rustbeard while defending the good ship Windbreaker from attack. Rustbeard took our ship, since his had burned during the battle.

Salted Bart and Steelfinger mutinied, feeding Rustbeard to the sharks. It was justice, of a sort.
They put ashore those of us who wished to leave piracy to them.
I watched my seven shipmates slowly die from poisoned wine, which was Steelfinger's parting gift. I had no taste for wine; I prefer ale or grog.
I made for Mother's temple, the one in Scornubel where Father had met her. The high priest said I had potential, and so enrolled as a Cleric of Lathander. It was four long years of prayer and learning.

I felt a sailor's restlessness. I left the cloister to spread the Light.
Maybe I can heal a small part of this sick world.
Maybe I can find justice.
How I'll do any of that in this mad city of Waterdeep I'm not sure -- I'm not even sure how I got here. If a few other people are as restless as I am, there's no telling what we can change ...

---------------------------------
Style 2: That same back story can be presented with less detail with a focus on "what are the motives of this character"

Went to sea with father after mother died of horrible disease {sailor background} & {motive to later be life cleric} & Ship taken by pirates, father killed, castaway. Journeyed to temple {family connection} and was enrolled to study as cleric/priest. {Class / domain}. Left temple (background/sailor/restless) to adventure; hopes to one day avenge (or get justice for) death of Father {pirates Steel Finger and Salted Bart, if DM likes them as future plot hooks)}.
Weaving the ideals, flaws, bonds, and traits into that is fine, or Just List Them.

I've also done three page stories. And longer.
--------------------------
This example is a back story limited to a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper introducing a Ranger named Zam, who has the Bounty Hunter/Outlander background.
Zam, I am.
I lost my horse to the mastiffs, so I had to drag the damned body for three days to collect the reward. He was wanted dead or alive - that's what it said on the hand bill.

Dead or alive, huh? Looks like they changed their minds. The bounty was for “alive, 50 pieces of gold.” "Dead” got me 10, but only when I showed them the hand bill I’d pulled off of the wall at the trading post. Maybe the blood stains swayed them. Marzol had been using up good air for too long I reckon.

Marzol wasn’t just rustling cattle, he was rustling people – I figured that out from the bodies and chains and such that I found in that hole under his barn. Did they believe me? No. Captain of the guard said I was a killer by preference; said there was blood on my hands; said I needed to clear out of town before he changed his mind. He had pikemen, I didn’t argue.

Blood on my hands. That’s rich. Yeah, there’s been blood on my hands since I can remember. Pa taught me to hunt, to butcher and skin my own game, kill only what you can eat, get rid of varmints, and keep an eye open when you sleep. (That’s trickier than it sounds).

Blood on my hands. I’d laugh if it hadn’t cost me my horse. I brought Marzol's body in, but they wanted “justice” and a trial so they could hang him. Pa told me to get rid of varmints - I did. I'd have done it for free if it were my goats, my sheep, and my cattle he’d been rustling, or my folk that he’d been selling to flesh merchants.

Old Marzol sure looked surprised, sitting there looking up at me, and then at the arrow in his chest while still grabbing at the one in the back of his knee. I must have looked a sight, with his dog’s blood all over me.

His hired help, the three with the axes and shovels? There was no bounty on them. I didn’t tell the Captain about burying them all proper, the way we buried Ma and cousin Lemuel -- the way I buried Pa. I doubt he treated them well – men like Marzol use folks, or abuse them. He paid ‘em, they were loyal. I told them to back off, but they came at me. A decent burial was fair and proper. I played the same song on my pipes over their graves that I played over Lemuel’s. Asleep Under the Moon. Seemed fitting.

Carrying Marzol'z body into town was for show. I dragged it on a makeshift most of the way. The guards at the gate weren’t happy to see me, but were content that Marzol was taken. I’d have liked to stay for a few pints but that Captain was keen that I leave. I don’t borrow trouble. Someone will need a man like me pretty soon. This world’s full of filth like Marzol. Like Pa said, you kill the varmints to keep your place clean.

Laserlight
2019-01-15, 09:05 PM
Bear in mind that as a L1 character, you have accomplished basically nothing except "learn a few skills" and "decide to adventure". And your backstory isn't what's important; what matters is your current motivations and associations and how they affect your actions.
Now, for your own use, write as much backstory as you want. But for the DM's use, boil it down to one page (250 words) at most. Five sentences is better. "What I most fear is A. I am trying to win the approval / respect / forgiveness of B, and to do that I must accomplish C. I would never do D. My secret vice / failing is E."

guachi
2019-01-15, 10:24 PM
Name: South Ward Smithy.

Tells you what and where it is right in the name! Even has a little alliteration.

Think of how many real stores have obvious names. It's not as silly as it seems.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-15, 11:14 PM
This example is a back story limited to a single sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" paper introducing a Ranger named Zam, who has the Bounty Hunter/Outlander background.
Zam, I am.
I lost my horse to the mastiffs, so I had to drag the damned body for three days to collect the reward. He was wanted dead or alive - that's what it said on the hand bill.

Dead or alive, huh? Looks like they changed their minds. The bounty was for “alive, 50 pieces of gold.” "Dead” got me 10, but only when I showed them the hand bill I’d pulled off of the wall at the trading post. Maybe the blood stains swayed them. Marzol had been using up good air for too long I reckon.

Marzol wasn’t just rustling cattle, he was rustling people – I figured that out from the bodies and chains and such that I found in that hole under his barn. Did they believe me? No. Captain of the guard said I was a killer by preference; said there was blood on my hands; said I needed to clear out of town before he changed his mind. He had pikemen, I didn’t argue.

Blood on my hands. That’s rich. Yeah, there’s been blood on my hands since I can remember. Pa taught me to hunt, to butcher and skin my own game, kill only what you can eat, get rid of varmints, and keep an eye open when you sleep. (That’s trickier than it sounds).

Blood on my hands. I’d laugh if it hadn’t cost me my horse. I brought Marzol's body in, but they wanted “justice” and a trial so they could hang him. Pa told me to get rid of varmints - I did. I'd have done it for free if it were my goats, my sheep, and my cattle he’d been rustling, or my folk that he’d been selling to flesh merchants.

Old Marzol sure looked surprised, sitting there looking up at me, and then at the arrow in his chest while still grabbing at the one in the back of his knee. I must have looked a sight, with his dog’s blood all over me.

His hired help, the three with the axes and shovels? There was no bounty on them. I didn’t tell the Captain about burying them all proper, the way we buried Ma and cousin Lemuel -- the way I buried Pa. I doubt he treated them well – men like Marzol use folks, or abuse them. He paid ‘em, they were loyal. I told them to back off, but they came at me. A decent burial was fair and proper. I played the same song on my pipes over their graves that I played over Lemuel’s. Asleep Under the Moon. Seemed fitting.

Carrying Marzol'z body into town was for show. I dragged it on a makeshift most of the way. The guards at the gate weren’t happy to see me, but were content that Marzol was taken. I’d have liked to stay for a few pints but that Captain was keen that I leave. I don’t borrow trouble. Someone will need a man like me pretty soon. This world’s full of filth like Marzol. Like Pa said, you kill the varmints to keep your place clean.

Arrow to the knee...nice. :biggrin:

Backstories should never constrain the story, but should provide hooks for DM (or other player) use.

This 100%! Make sure your background serves the story. That means there needs to be some gaps that the DM can choose to help you fill in as plot hooks. Since the DM seems to be offering suggestions he/she might already be planning some of these. I've found that leaving some things vague also helps you sort of "discover" the character as you get more and more familiar with it.

Also, at what point is a backstory to long? This character's backstory is growing over time and starting to get into the silly long realm. It is currently 3 pages long and will be getting a little bit longer after a few DM suggestions on things to fit into the campaign. On the plus side, I feel his is much more real than other characters I had starting out.

Here are a couple of examples of brief backstories that are written in a narrative form rather than a list of history facts. This is the sort of thing I hope to get from my players when I DM or from my fellow party members when I play a PC. You can pack a lot of story AND personality into just a couple short paragraphs. Maybe try writing it in 1st-person from your character's perspective or third-person omniscient from a narrator's perspective, or even as your character writing their own memoir in third-person. Experiment and see what style you like best, but be sure to condense a final draft for other players and the DM to go back and reference if they need to remember some important details about your past.

Larz Burnbalm, born a gnome of stature in his home of Blingdenstone, was the envy of every ugly ugly boy in his class. He was not only the most handsome gnome his age, he was smart too. As a teen his schooling became boring, so Larz took matters into his own hands and decided to apprentice under the world-renowned (erm...Underdark-renowned) master tailor and clothing designer, Huey Vuitton. Under Huey's excellent tutelage Larz took off as both designer and model.

One day Huey approached Larz raving about his ambition to be know the world over...the surface world. Sadly Huey was too old and frail to make the journey, so Larz wholeheartedly agreed to travel the surface world and establish the brand. It would take cunning and wit to survive the journey, and luckily Larz possessed enough potential in both categories to begin training as a wizard. As he found his way to the surface he quickly realized a diversity in race and culture, which he never could've imagined before! He devoted himself to studying this newfound place and adapting a special clothing line suited for the gnomes of Blingdenstone that heavily drew from the attire and stylistic threads of this strange place. Likewise he would bring the Underdark style to the light, and unite the world of fashion under one banner, emblazoned with a golden "HV" that would soon be a household symbol everywhere.

Now Larz makes his living by adventuring with his friends and selling clothing and accessory subscriptions to those they meet on their journeys. Through his adventuring he seeks to learn more about every style of clothing possible, all the while making contacts and networking for his brand.

Born into a small Dragonborn village, Stu Chefington, known now as Magic Stu, quickly realized that he was a far cry from normal. As he grew, it seemed to his parents that Stu was interested in the "wrong sorts of things." He enjoyed passing his time by learning herbology, gardening, and above all else cooking. Though his village was a goodly town, committed to benefiting the world at large, they were Dragonborn. And Dragonborn simply did not study such trivialities, preferring the sword to the more "dainty" arts.

One day when Stu was a meager 13 years of age, he heard some commotion outside the restaurant he helped manage. When he walked outside, the apron clad Dragonborn found himself face to face with a knight of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, armed only with a large wok and his Southern Living Cookbook. Using his extensive knowledge of pastas, tomato-based sauces, and flavor neutralizing spices coupled with his spells scribbled in the margins, Stu stopped the knight from destroying the town. Though little is written about this encounter, the town has passed it on through oral tradition.

As Stu grows, so too does the tale of his heroic actions that day. Now he must travel the world as he seeks a greater understanding of magic as well as a deeper knowledge of himself and his destiny.

Ganymede
2019-01-15, 11:51 PM
The Clanging Clatter

As for backstories, it should be long enough to flesh out your PC's motivations for being an adventurer, and set up plot hooks like friends, foes, goals, etc. A couple pages is not unheard of.

Also, see if you can hone your background into a two-sentence description as a supplement to the full backstory so you can give others the elevator pitch of your character. It'll also help you pare down what your PC is really about.

Unoriginal
2019-01-16, 04:27 AM
The Silver Smith of the South.

It has a surprisingly high number of Yuan-ti customers recommending it.

Zhorn
2019-01-16, 07:38 AM
What is a good name for a Smith's shop in the south ward? It is run by a dwarf friend of my PC who is named Magrim Silversmith.
Magrim Silversmith... Magrim is 'close' to margin in spelling... Silver Linings

Also, at what point is a backstory to long?
For level 1? Full page is your upper limit if in dot point, half a page if in paragraphs.
Detail is good for your own RP potential, but giving a DM too much of a structured backstory is like a DM putting players on a railroad; less room to move.
You want it to be specific enough to define where your character comes from, explains their skill set, and states why they are adventuring instead of living like the other 99% of the NPC population in towns and cities, BUT vague enough that the DM can slot you into the campaign THEY are setting up.
It's the same principle as how encounters are written; establish the scenario with the enticing incident, know the wants and goals, but fill in the rest in game.

Perfect fits are rare, but you you set up in broad strokes, even the changes that the DM does to make things fit can still be inline with your character intent.

nickl_2000
2019-01-16, 07:47 AM
Thank you everyone for the thoughts and advice. I went with a full on narrative background written as my character telling someone his history. It ended up getting way longer than I expected, due to the DM wanting to add some things in that would fit into the plot that he was considering. I did give a nice concise easy to reference listing at the top for anyone wanting to look back. The name of the forge can easily be changed in the story, so I love the ideas that people have mentioned. It is tentatively named Dragonfire Forge right now since it had some alliteration and sounded cool in my mind.

Character Name Kylan Hawkwinter - Paladin, likely Oath of Ancients

Quick Summary

Currently 25.
Grew up in Amphail as a child of a minor noble, best friend Magrim Silversmith who taught me smithing.
Caused trouble in temple of Helm, learned faith afterwards.
Left at 20 with Magrim and set up Smith’s shop in South Ward of Waterdeep
Delivered goods throughout waterdeep getting to know the city guards and city watch.
After a fulls days work, I drink hard and met the group in the Yawning Portal tavern.

Places I’m known or recognized:

City Watch
City Guard
The Spounting Fish Tavern
Midnight Sun Tavern
The Full Cup Tavern
The Beer Golem Tavern (I’m not welcome there anymore)
Member of Most careful order of skilled Smith's and metalforgers

People I know:

City Guard contact: Captain Faustus Gralhund
City Watch contact: Sergeant Hunasnah Jinas
Magrim Silversmith: Childhood best friend, and owner of Dragonfire Forge
Primrose: Friend from Helm’s temple, mysteriously disappeared

Personal Goals:

noblesse oblige, it is the duty of the nobility to help the people
Track down family heirloom lost by father

I'm sure some people who have played/dmed dragon heist of Mad Mage will recognize a few of the names or have an idea of things in there. If you do, please don't spoil it, I'm blissfully ignorant and looking forward to learning how things will fit together.

If you want to see/read the full on narrative here it is, it is definitely a wall of text though!

I am Kylan Hawkwinter, I grew up in a small villa in Amphail with my mother and father as a minor noble in the house Hawkwinter. My father is the fourth son of the fourth son of the family patriarch. Which means that he has the noble name of Hawkwinter, more money than the average commoner, and pretty much nothing else. Other than a safe and comfortable childhood, pretty much all I got from my family was the distinctive family nose. I got all my other looks from my mother, she is a commoner by birth but fits into society incredibly well. She is praised by all for her beauty, and even the most grumpy dwarf smiles when she enters a room. I’ve watched her at parties and during dinners for my entire life, and learned a lot from here.

I really should count myself lucky that I’m only a minor son of the Hawkwinter family. I didn’t have to spend all my days in stuffy classrooms or at boring balls, nor have I ever been in danger from enemies of the house. I instead grew up running the town, playing with commoner children my age, and causing trouble. I saw the hard working people of the village and realized they are the lifeblood of the community. My parents can sit in their villa and talk all they like, but without the hard working smiths, butchers, and farmers none of us would have food on our plates or the gear needed to survive.

My best friend growing up was a stout dwarf named Magrim Silversmith, he is the second child in the family and a proud member of the line. We grew up together in his home, a small, comfortable hut by the Ulvinhand Smithy. The Silversmith family has worked for Ulvinhand since long before I was born and made a good trade in making horseshoes and other farm equipment. Having spend so much time in the Silversmith home, they effectively adopted me as one of their own, teaching me Dwarven and feeding my insatiable hunger. Magrim and I spent many hours cleaning and working in that forge with his family. I may have learned to swing a sword from fighting instructors, but the Silversmith family taught me to swing a hammer and gave me the strength to swing it right.

After Magrim and I finished our chores, we roamed the streets with our friends, finding trouble, pulling pranks, and being kids. One time, we were caught while hoisting a wagon on top of one of the farmers barns. We had rigged up an elaborate pulley system and lifted the wagon into the air about 15 feet before the farmer’s wife came out screaming and their dogs came barking. We got pinned in by the dogs, leaving us no place to run to safety. We slowly lowered the wagon to the ground, the dogs nipping at our heels, and turned to face the farmer’s wife. I stepped up to her, blocking her from my friends and negotiated with her that if she didn’t tell any of our parents, I would spend the next month working the land on the farm. That was by far the most horse manure I have ever seen in my life. In the end though, my friends got off scot free and were saved from punishment.

The best story comes from one Shieldmeet ceremony when I was 11. We were all attending the ceremony of honor to the family Deity, Helm. The old cleric was concluding the ceremony and sitting down exhausted after a long service while the silent congregation filed out of the temple. Little did he know that before the service my friends and I had snuck into the temple, replacing the inside of the pillow padding his seat with a filled bagpipe. As he sat, the bagpipe let out a horrible cacophonous noise, causing the attenders to end their solemn exit and break into uproarious laughter. I was called into the temple the next day, caught when the cleric looked at the set of bagpipes and recognized it as my family. I presented myself to the cleric and admitted fault and being in charge, but steadfastly refusing to give names of the others involved. The cleric laughed and roughed up my hair, saying that even Helm himself probably found it amusing. However, he did make me come back for the rest of my time there and use those same bagpipes to call the faithful to prayer on holy days. In time, the cleric became a mentor to me, teaching me the true tenants of Helm and leading me into my faith.

I spent a lot of time in the temple, while learning about helm and learning to project his power for the protection of others, and met a young woman there by the name of Primrose. She was a ward of the temple, living under its protection and training with the priests. Her mother was poor and unable to care for her, but still came to the temple every day to visit her. Always bringing Primrose her namesake flowers. Primrose and I were good friends, in fact, she was my inside contact who helped me set up the prank on the priest. Without her help, it never would have happened. During our time there, we became fast friends, her teaching me my love for a good drink at the end of the day. She always had some in her cell due to nipping some of the sacramental wine from the priests as she was preparing for temple visits. One day though, she just disappeared, no note, no contact, and no messages. I tried to find her, but couldn’t, my search running into a dead end when I found her mother’s dead body in a small side street near town.

In my 20th year, Magrim and I grew bored of the quiet life in the small town and left to seek our fortunes in Waterdeep. Magrim set up a small forge in the Southern Ward, named the Dragonfire Forge, of Waterdeep, and I’ve been working with him for the past 5 years. We have found a very nice career in making and fixing wagon for travellers, working with Tehmak to create rims for his wagon wheels, and repairing armor and weapons for the guards. Since Magrim owns the forge, he has let me create a set of chainmail for myself outside of working hours with material I purchased. After a hard day of work, we hit the taverns just as hard. Celebrating our freedom and wages earned with heavy drink, good friends, bawdy tales, and staggering home in the wee hours of the morning.

Magrim is better in the forges than me, but I’ve always been better with people, so part of my responsibility in the shop is delivering the repaired equipment and picking up newly broken gear once a week. I make weekly rounds of the guard and watch posts, regularly giving them grief for the damage caused to their gear. After a few trips, I discovered a nice place called the Yawning Portal. It’s always filled with various adventurer types and interesting people.

I’ve met several people talking about a bounty from the Hawkwinter family for an heirloom found somewhere in the city. In learning more about it, apparently my father lost the heirloom as has been on the outs with the family ever since. I’ve been trying to find out more information about the heirloom, what it is, who took it, and how I can get it back to get him in good graces with the rest of the family.

In my fourth year in Waterdeep, a small boy of 8 came into the shop, dirty and smelling ripe. He seemed out of place, and I subtly watched him look around the shop. He waited until everyone else was looking away, then slipped a jeweled dagger into his pants. I calmly placed my hammer on the forge and grabbed the boy by the arm lifting him off the ground. After pleading innocence for a few moment, he broke into tears in my arms. Remembering the kindness taught from my old cleric mentor, I spoke with the boy learning his story. He came from a family of immigrants who agreed to a year of indentured servitude with a merchant for passage to the city of Waterdeep to escape the famine of their home. They have been in servitude ever since, as long as the boy can remember. The merchant required that they live in the merchant’s property and eat the merchants food, charging them exorbitant prices. The boy was trying to steal the dagger to pay off enough of the debt and free himself and his sister. I went to the back of the shop, grabbed my handmade chainmail and my largest hammer off the forge and forced the boy to lead me to their home.

The boy led me to the hovel that the family was living in next to the merchant’s seaside villa. I knocked on the door with my hammer, splintering a hole in it with the strength of my strikes. The merchant looked at me through the hole in the door, clear anger on his face. He opened the door, sees me more clearly in the daylight and look of recognition flickering across his face. His demeanor changed immediately and he asked what I wanted. I demanded that the family be released from their servitude, as they have clearly paid of their debt. Surprising, the merchant agreed say, “Of course Lord Hawkwinter, consider them freed.” The boy and the family heard all this, quickly gathering their meager belongings and leaving the hovel. I brought them to one of my haunts, getting them a good meal set them up with an honest friend who could get them fair jobs and a place to live. They didn’t stop talking and thanking me as Lord Hawkwinter.

Ever since then, my friends don’t quite look at me the same as they did before, sure they drink with me and have a good time, but they also come to me to help them with problems. Evening bringing others as well. I always do everything I can to help them. The plus side, though, is that I haven’t paid for a drink in the past year. I have the strength of will and strength in Helm to protect them people, and it is my duty to do it.

Unoriginal
2019-01-16, 07:52 AM
You're friend with a member of the Gralhund noble family?

nickl_2000
2019-01-16, 07:54 AM

Not friends, but I know them due to delivering repaired weapons and armor to the guards and watch. The particular person and contact was a DM addition, not mine. So, I don't know much about it yet.

Also note, the character is a Noble Scion background and a minor member of the Hawkwinter noble family.

Neknoh
2019-01-16, 08:00 AM
320 pages has been done, it was done because "the GM was a bastard that had it coming." (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson#The_Origin_of_Old_Man_Henderson)

Basically, make it as long or short as you want it to be, but remember that low level adventurers tend to die a lot. Also, do not expect people to read a five page short story and respect that, you can summarize it for them, write for your own sake, not for the DM.

Tanarii
2019-01-16, 08:31 AM
The answer: backstory is as long as you feel the need to write for you own enjoyment or character development.

The spin-off answer: don't expect your DM to read any of it, nor actually incorporate any of it into her campaign. Each DM's backstory requirements / tolerance will vary.

My answer as a DM:
- Anything more than a paragraph I'm not reading.
- Anything that you want to actually matter from a DM 'hook' point of view MUST be contained in your single sentence 5e personality traits: Personality, Ideal, Bond or Flaw. The best place to put character history 'hook' elements is a single sentence Bond.
- Anything creating important world elements isn't considered cannon. I don't care if you poof a new Smith into existence and name him. No creating recent wars / monster invasions, entire cities, powerful noble houses, new races, or artifacts. Otoh players can always check out the player's site for player uncovered and shared ancient / recent history.

Vogie
2019-01-16, 09:33 AM

Sounds like "a friend" in the same way that the squire of what the Gralhund's would likely consider "the help" would be "a friend". They'd be known by the family & estate guards, and introductions would be a recurrence, and would be followed by "Oh" instead of "Hi!".

That is, the squire, when speaking about the nobles, would be like "I KNOW THEM! WE GO WAY BACK" while the noble family would be more like "... who?"

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-16, 11:11 AM
320 pages has been done, it was done because "the GM was a bastard that had it coming." (https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Old_Man_Henderson#The_Origin_of_Old_Man_Henderson)

Basically, make it as long or short as you want it to be, but remember that low level adventurers tend to die a lot. Also, do not expect people to read a five page short story and respect that, you can summarize it for them, write for your own sake, not for the DM.

I can't read this at work...everyone will think I'm insane for crying from laughing silently at my desk. Maybe as insane as Old Man Henderson...

HappyDaze
2019-01-16, 11:15 AM
What is a good name for a Smith's shop in the south ward?
I'd go with Hammer Tyme myself and pattern the smith after MC Hammer (but Dwarf-ier).

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-16, 11:23 AM
I'd go with Hammer Tyme myself and pattern the smith after MC Hammer (but Dwarf-ier).

Oh oh, or you could go with Hammer Thyme and make it a joint smithy-grocery store!

Vogie
2019-01-16, 11:36 AM
I can't read this at work...everyone will think I'm insane for crying from laughing silently at my desk. Maybe as insane as Old Man Henderson...

Oh man... The Cthulu & Friends podcast did a dramatic reading of some Old Man Henderson stories, and it was epic.

nickl_2000
2019-01-16, 11:56 AM

and whenever a customer comes in and starts feeling the merchandise, my PC would yell at them "Hey, hey, you can't touch that!"

HappyDaze
2019-01-16, 12:53 PM
and whenever a customer comes in and starts feeling the merchandise, my PC would yell at them "Hey, hey, you can't touch that!"

oh-oh oh oh oh-oh-oh

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-01-16, 01:09 PM

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Theodoric
2019-01-16, 01:19 PM
As a DM, I prefer interesting details to long plots. Relatives, places, military units, ships, churches, and so on, and so on; stuff I could use :smallwink:. So you're on the right track there with the shop. If you're writing prose I suggest focusing on telling who your character is rather than what happened to him/her, unless it directly informs your character's traits and personality. Try to sum up the core of your character first and see what embellishments are really necessary beyond that.

Ganymede
2019-01-16, 04:19 PM

The problem is that, whenever you tell them to stop, they will actually expect you to follow up with an offer to collaborate and listen.

ad_hoc
2019-01-16, 05:07 PM
A paragraph is a good length. I don't think it should ever be more than half a page.

Don't try to create the protagonist of the story and let the character gain character at the table.

HappyDaze
2019-01-16, 05:16 PM
A paragraph is a good length. I don't think it should ever be more than half a page.
In the olden days we had 3" x 5" index cards. They were the perfect size for character backgrounds.