PDA

View Full Version : Halfling slinger, double fighting style advice

Halabalousa
2019-01-15, 08:41 AM
Im making a halfling (lightfoot) slinger for an upcoming campaign. We start level 11 with a free feat and the campaign is intended to go to level 20 or close to that.

We rolled for stats and after applying lightfoot halfling bonuses I got:

Str: 12
Dex: 19
Con: 15
Int: 12
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

Im making this a multiclass build between Rogue (thief), Revised Ranger (gloomstalker) and Fighter (battlemaster) and for the level 11 start Im going Rogue 3, Ranger 5 and Fighter 3 grapping Healer (free feat) and Sharpshooter. Healer combined with Fast Hands from thief will make my charater a combat medic and Sharpshooter will help with the poor damage output from a sling as well as getting better range and avoid cover. Then for the next two levels Im going rogue to 4 and fighter to 4 to grap 2 extra feats. First one is Squat Nimbleness to max out dex, get a little more badly needed movement and the other perks from the feat are useful as well. Second one will be Resilient (Con).

I get two fighting styles and as UA content is allowed Close Quarters Shooter and Mariner are options. Im obviously taking Archery as the first one but wondering if Close Quarters Shooter or Mariner is the best choise for the second?

+1 to hit from CQS is always nice (especially with Sharpshooter), ignoring cover within 30ft does nothing as I already have Sharpshooter, being able to make ranged attacks in melee without disadvantage seems nice but how often will that come up? As a rogue I can always disengage as a bonus action. From thief I already got a climbing speed so Mariner nets me +1 AC and a swim speed. So its basically +1 to hit (+ situational renged attack in melee) versus +1 to AC and swim speed.

Bonus Question:

Im contemplating taking Riposte (as one of the 3 battlemaster maneuvers) just for the fun of being able to draw a dagger or rapier when I end my turn in a spot where I might get melee attacked (like when I just used fast hands to heal a melee ally) so I potentially have the chance to sneak attack as my reaction. Is that way too gimicky (epecially as I only have a few sneak attack dice) ? :)

Willie the Duck
2019-01-15, 09:05 AM
being able to make ranged attacks in melee without disadvantage seems nice but how often will that come up? As a rogue I can always disengage as a bonus action. From thief I already got a climbing speed so Mariner nets me +1 AC and a swim speed. So its basically +1 to hit (+ situational renged attack in melee) versus +1 to AC and swim speed.

The eternal question of a rogue is--when you say, "I can always _________ as a bonus action," what other potential bonus action are you giving up?

Halabalousa
2019-01-15, 10:56 AM
The eternal question of a rogue is--when you say, "I can always _________ as a bonus action," what other potential bonus action are you giving up?

True that, but Im thinking that a ranged rogue by all means doesnt want to stay in melee so getting out would would be priority 1? I never played a rogue before...

BobZan
2019-01-15, 11:07 AM
Healer on a Thief is great. You won't be using it every turn anyway, so you can still use your Cunning Action to reposition yourself when needed.

Willie the Duck
2019-01-15, 11:16 AM
Okay, as an aside, this would not be my advice as 'a good way to be introduced to the rogue class' -- it has so much going on.

Yes, getting out of dodge is a good thing for most rogues. The existence of Crossbow Expert feat or Close Quarters Shooter combat style is that you don't have to. Instead you can be using your bonus action healer trick or fighter Second Wind or bonus-action ranger spell.

It's not strictly RAW, since 2wf is only usable with melee weapon attacks, but your discussion of drawing a dagger at round's end suggests another idea: if in melee, see if your DM will let you attack with your sling, but also draw a dagger with your off hand and throw it (maximizing your number of attacks, such that your sneak attack damage dice won't get wasted because at least one attack will hit). Again, not strictly RAW but DMs tend to work to get Halfling sling-and-thrown-weapons builds off the ground.

Regardless, the point is that the primary point of CQS is so you have additional options at the decision-point that is an enemy closing with your ranged-character--above the traditional 'run away' or 'draw melee weapon that's presumably worse and attack.'

CTurbo
2019-01-16, 05:08 AM
Why Thief of all options? I'd rather go Scout, Arcane Trickster, or even Assassin. Scout would be best though IMO.

Definitely go with Archery and CQS as your two styles.

I love the idea of making a character that uses a sling

I'd take Squat Nimbleness, Sharpshooter, and Mobile

Halabalousa
2019-01-16, 06:45 AM
Why Thief of all options? I'd rather go Scout, Arcane Trickster, or even Assassin. Scout would be best though IMO.

Definitely go with Archery and CQS as your two styles.

I love the idea of making a character that uses a sling

I'd take Squat Nimbleness, Sharpshooter, and Mobile

I want to try of the Fast Hands ability of Thief and because of RP / background reasons. I have for some time had this idea of this guy reluctantly being conscripted into the army in war time to get out of jail. Using his fast hands ability as a combat medic but after seing too much **** (too much bloody, gory dismembering stuff, having to kill off friends to end their suffering when nothing could be done for them, etc.) he deserted, ran away, suffering from PTSD.

Also it seems like the GM will be accommodating with stuff that is useable with Fast Hands. Im not getting far enough into rogue to get to the next thief feature (think I will end up with rogue 8, ranger 8, fighter 4).

I have considered Mobile as well for the extra movement but the rest of the stuff in the feat isnt really worth it for this character.

Halabalousa
2019-01-16, 04:18 PM
Oh, also any good suggestions for the 3rd level 1 ranger spell for this build?

1 and 2 will be Absorb Elements and Hunters Mark but Im unsure about the 3rd...

CTurbo
2019-01-16, 08:02 PM
Goodberry, Cure Wounds, or Hail of Thorns