PDA

View Full Version : Extended Silver Standard for 5 and 3.5 edition D&D and Pathfinder.

Bortasz
2019-01-15, 01:43 PM
Hello
Some time ago I posted Silver Standard. Here is original Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/5tt9tj/i_created_silver_standard_for_5_edition/
For does who do not know. Currently in all edition of D&D the most popular coin is Gold one. So we can say that id D&D you have Gold Standard. I changed it to silver one.
Why? Because I prefer it for roleplaying aspect. Currently if you do not throw at least couple hundred if not thousand gold coins in front of players they will not be interested. With silver standard in place my players pay attention if gold is just mention.
If you will decide to use my spreadsheet silver will be worth 10 times more, and gold will be 100 time more valuable.
Copper have the same value as before and it’s base for both systems.
Now I extended and refined it.
I'm selling it on DriveThruRpg https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/263919/Silver-Standard-for-5-and-35-and-Pathfinder
It contains all Equipment tabels from 5 and 3.5 edition and from pathfinder Ultimate Equipment.
All in files. PDF for Easy Printing and Open Office Spreadsheet so you can modify to your liking. All Spreadsheets contain place when you can easily modify value of coins. Change in one place will cause entire document to switch to new exchange rates.
If you have any questions I will gladly answer them.

John Out West
2019-01-15, 04:30 PM
Agreed, using gold as the universal currency has always been silly to me as well. I similarly use the silver standard for all my games, as well as contextualizing each coin being worth about $100 USD. However, I also use Iron as my bottom currency instead of copper, as its more useful and players can sell their equipment for its weight in iron.

I also contextualized that things tend to be far more expensive, generally because a medieval economy doesn't benefit from mass production or modern techniques. Bread and beer are still cheap, but daggers costing a few silver coins isn't far fetched considering they require a skilled blacksmith.

Bortasz
2019-01-16, 04:26 AM
Agreed, using gold as the universal currency has always been silly to me as well. I similarly use the silver standard for all my games, as well as contextualizing each coin being worth about $100 USD. However, I also use Iron as my bottom currency instead of copper, as its more useful and players can sell their equipment for its weight in iron.

I also contextualized that things tend to be far more expensive, generally because a medieval economy doesn't benefit from mass production or modern techniques. Bread and beer are still cheap, but daggers costing a few silver coins isn't far fetched considering they require a skilled blacksmith.

I wholeheartedly agree. Making Gold rare, putting it on exalted position make all the treasure hunting even more fun things to do. Also it allow for scene like in John Wick, were one golden coin(Or just few of them) can buy you so many things. with gold worthy 100 what they use to you can even bribe some people with one of them. Instead of normal situation were you have to earn and spend gold in hundreds and thousands.