PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items for Dragon Heist/TfoYP/DotMM

Vogie
2019-01-15, 01:50 PM
What types of homebrew Magic items have you seen in/made for your games in the Waterdeep setting?

I'm starting to stir up some low-level magic items for my party, as they've just started Dragon Heist.

My players are a bard (I believe going swords), life cleric, Fighter (I believe going EK) & dex paladin, so anything in those camps would be extra appreciated, but I want to pick your brains for ideas and things that worked/didn't work.

Envyus
2019-01-15, 03:20 PM
Why do you need homebrew items? There is no real need for them in Dragon Heist.

BaconAwesome
2019-01-15, 03:55 PM
Kind of the usual.

1) A monocle that gives the user 10' vision in non magical darkness (5' normal, 5' dim) when held in a free hand

2) A slate shortsword with 5 charges (recharge 1d2+1 at midnight). User feels a cold wind when drawn. Expending a charge gives +1 to hit, + 1d6 cold damage plus cold and fire resistance for the user for 1 minute or until you hit an opponent, whichever comes first.

3) A candle that burns without being consumed, and which burns with a green flame when within 5' of poison.

Vogie
2019-01-15, 04:30 PM
Why do you need homebrew items? There is no real need for them in Dragon Heist.

Because stuff is fun. They don't have to be powerful, but just unique to that urban, preferably wintery (in our game) setting.

Kind of the usual.

1) A monocle that gives the user 10' vision in non magical darkness (5' normal, 5' dim) when held in a free hand

2) A slate shortsword with 5 charges (recharge 1d2+1 at midnight). User feels a cold wind when drawn. Expending a charge gives +1 to hit, + 1d6 cold damage plus cold and fire resistance for the user for 1 minute or until you hit an opponent, whichever comes first.

3) A candle that burns without being consumed, and which burns with a green flame when within 5' of poison.

These are perfect, especially that last one.

BaconAwesome
2019-01-16, 09:47 AM
Thanks - you can Google "5e magic trinkets" to get some good ideas for that kind of stuff too.

I've been thinking about a very minor magic item for faction members once they reach various renown levels, like a badge that can send an alert or something, but haven't settled on exactly what.

Wildarm
2019-01-16, 10:09 AM
Waterdeep is a trade hub for all parts of the world. You can definitely add a lot of exotic items for those willing to pay the price:

- Rare foods, spices, and substances(re-flavored potion effects is easiest)
- Trained Dino pets from Chult (Who doesn't want a pet velociraptor)
- Amazing technology from Lantan - Glowrods, Flashbangs, Frost bombs, Shock Grenades - Pretty much anything that can recreate a 1st level spell or cantrip effect. Cost is the same as 2x scroll of that type but can be used by non-magic user and the effect is not magical.