PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Stats of a planet

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 02:29 PM
Obviously, a planet is an object.

What should we set the break dc to, what is the weight, and how many hitpoints should an earth sized planet have.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 02:33 PM
Well it's definitely epic. I guess it a lot of DC, weight and hit points to have.

Resileaf
2019-01-15, 02:40 PM
If you want to know the weight of a planet, you should ask Google for that. Earth's mass, for instance, is "6,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000,000 (6 x 1024) kilograms.", according to the website I just checked.
As for the DC? Somewhere in the thousands or tens of thousands, I'd assume. Hit points? Somewhere in the billions, with a hefty DR to go along with it.

JeenLeen
2019-01-15, 02:47 PM
I think I once read something about planet-destroying attacks, and... it wasn't too hard for an optimized party if you go based on D&D existent lore/statblocks & extrapolating from that.

However, that is probably one of the things where the canon doesn't exactly make sense and you need to modify things if you actually want to do something like destroy a planet (or not have your epic PCs accidentally destroy it, if you rule a miss hits the thing behind it, e.g, the planet.)

Also, keep in mind what being able to target the planet might mean for certain spells. You might need to add something like "cannot be targeted. If a spell could normally target the Planet, it instead targets a 10 x 10 foot cube of matter closest to the planet's exterior."
Another alternative: You might also be better off ruling that the planet is 'alive' and is a creature. Perhaps a golem, for type? If not literally, at least for game mechanics, in order to bypass things that destroy an object instantly.

Planet
Golem

AC: -10
DR: cascading (low at first, then very high, then still high but does fire damage to anything close to it as the magma is exposed)

Maybe some very slow regeneration ability.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 02:47 PM
Typically massive objects are treated as different objects every 10ft cube. 2060000 objects to get through earth with that, make it easy and assume stone all the way, 3,708,000,000 damage against 8 hardness to blast a hole through the center.

PunBlake
2019-01-15, 02:50 PM
I agree with Resileaf's approach. Convert kilograms to pounds for D&D units, or not if you prefer.

Use stone (hardness 8, 15HP/inch thickness, break DC from Wall of Stone of 20 +2/inch) as your Earth-analogue, pull statistics about Earth from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth), and do math for unit conversion.

OgresAreCute
2019-01-15, 02:56 PM
I agree with Resileaf's approach. Convert kilograms to pounds for D&D units, or not if you prefer.

Use stone (hardness 8, 15HP/inch thickness, break DC from Wall of Stone of 20 +2/inch) as your Earth-analogue, pull statistics about Earth from Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth), and do math for unit conversion.

The diameter of Earth is 12,742 km = 12,742,000 m = 1,274,200,000 cm = ~501,653,543 in
That's a casual 7,5 billion hitpoints and a break DC of 1 billion. and a whopping 8 hardness

zlefin
2019-01-15, 02:58 PM

What should we set the break dc to, what is the weight, and how many hitpoints should an earth sized planet have.

hp-wise, I'd probably just use the stats for stone listed in the srd, and ignore the complexities of kinds of stone and the effect of the molten core that's under ultra-high pressure.
also, iirc tehre's some rule that very large objects are instead treated as multiple sections; so you'd treat it as a bunch of 10' cubes each of which has 1800 hp.

someone already covered weight;
given the way DCs scale, which seems moderately geometric (which is in line iwht how the carrying capacity table scales); I'd estimate the break DC is probably a few hundred, the precise number isn't well-defined by any source I can see.

I'd ignore some parts of real-world logic/physics, like the technicality that actually breaking the earth is nigh-meaningless since it's held together by gravitational binding rather than by actually being a single object.

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 03:12 PM
hp-wise, I'd probably just use the stats for stone listed in the srd, and ignore the complexities of kinds of stone and the effect of the molten core that's under ultra-high pressure.
also, iirc tehre's some rule that very large objects are instead treated as multiple sections; so you'd treat it as a bunch of 10' cubes each of which has 1800 hp.

someone already covered weight;
given the way DCs scale, which seems moderately geometric (which is in line iwht how the carrying capacity table scales); I'd estimate the break DC is probably a few hundred, the precise number isn't well-defined by any source I can see.

I'd ignore some parts of real-world logic/physics, like the technicality that actually breaking the earth is nigh-meaningless since it's held together by gravitational binding rather than by actually being a single object.

I want my character to give the planet the broken condition.

Troacctid
2019-01-15, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I gotta disagree with the premise. A planet is clearly many objects. I mean, even at the most basic level, you've got the inner core, outer core, mantle, crust, and atmosphere, so that's at least five. And then you gotta subdivide those even further—like, for starters, you gotta figure each tectonic plate is a different object, right?

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 03:35 PM
Yeah, I gotta disagree with the premise. A planet is clearly many objects. I mean, even at the most basic level, you've got the inner core, outer core, mantle, crust, and atmosphere, so that's at least five. And then you gotta subdivide those even further—like, for starters, you gotta figure each tectonic plate is a different object, right?

Following that logic, a wall is many objects too. A door is multiple layers as well with multiple pieces of wood and/or metal. And I hesitate to think of all the pieces comprising a lock. A castle is an object. A castle wall is an object. A stack of paper is an object. Ever try ripping 100 sheets of paper at once? Pretty hard eh? Hence why thickness comes into play. Ergo, if a stack of paper can be treated as an object, if a ship can be treated as an object, then why can't a planet?

HouseRules
2019-01-15, 03:38 PM
No, Planets are living, not objects. All native living beings are its cells, if you will, so every player character is just a single cell and part of the greater whole.

Troacctid
2019-01-15, 03:44 PM
Following that logic, a wall is many objects too. A door is multiple layers as well with multiple pieces of wood and/or metal. And I hesitate to think of all the pieces comprising a lock. A castle is an object. A castle wall is an object. A stack of paper is an object. Ever try ripping 100 sheets of paper at once? Pretty hard eh? Hence why thickness comes into play. Ergo, if a stack of paper can be treated as an object, if a ship can be treated as an object, then why can't a planet?
Serious answer, because the rules say that very large objects are damaged in sections.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-15, 03:45 PM
Following that logic, a wall is many objects too. A door is multiple layers as well with multiple pieces of wood and/or metal. And I hesitate to think of all the pieces comprising a lock. A castle is an object. A castle wall is an object. A stack of paper is an object. Ever try ripping 100 sheets of paper at once? Pretty hard eh? Hence why thickness comes into play. Ergo, if a stack of paper can be treated as an object, if a ship can be treated as an object, then why can't a planet?I would handle this as a matter of what is distinct (clearly separate and different). A door is a distinct object, as is a door handle. While you can target the handle or the door itself, you would not be able to target a single layer of the wood making up the door, nor just one piece of the handle.

As for a planet, if you are targeting the planet you would be targeting the core, mantle, and crust together. The atmosphere would be distinct and existing on the surface, as would the oceans, flora and fauna, structures and so forth.

Just my take on it though. Nothing RAW exists to clear up a question like this.

Serious answer, because the rules say that very large objects are damaged in sections.Reference please? I looked around a bit but couldn't find it.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 03:46 PM
The infamous (and 3rd party) Immortal Handbook claims:

(an Earth-sized planet would have roughly 122,880 hp)

This is as far as I know, the closest any d20 product has ever come to giving an HP value for a planet.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-15, 04:13 PM
Destroying a solid planet is easy. Say hello to the level 2 spell rockburst that makes a rock of 8 cu ft or larger asplode. Even exploding a single tectonic plate is pretty damned scary, honesty.

At the very least, any inhabited planet should be considered an attended object, using the saving throw of the highest level critter on it, possibly with Aid Another bonuses from every plant and other creature in it, helping to hold it together.

JNAProductions
2019-01-15, 04:16 PM
Destroying a solid planet is easy. Say hello to the level 2 spell rockburst that makes a rock of 8 cu ft or larger asplode. Even exploding a single tectonic plate is pretty damned scary, honesty.

At the very least, any inhabited planet should be considered an attended object, using the saving throw of the highest level critter on it, possibly with Aid Another bonuses from every plant and other creature in it, helping to hold it together.

Pretty sure Rockburst can only affect a 20' burst.

zfs
2019-01-15, 04:22 PM
The diameter of Earth is 12,742 km = 12,742,000 m = 1,274,200,000 cm = ~501,653,543 in
That's a casual 7,5 billion hitpoints and a break DC of 1 billion.

Break DC of 1 Billion, eh?

Cancer Mage. Festering Anger. And a dragon's hoard full of Snickers, because your character's not going anywhere for a while.

But eventually he'll auto-succeed on the check.

zlefin
2019-01-15, 04:22 PM
I want my character to give the planet the broken condition.

ok, you probably can't then. and if you can, you should really just ask whoever your DM is what they'd require. I'm pretty sure there's no explicit RAW answer.

does the broken condition even exist in 3.5? or is it only in pathfinder?

zfs
2019-01-15, 04:24 PM
ok, you probably can't then. and if you can, you should really just ask whoever your DM is what they'd require. I'm pretty sure there's no explicit RAW answer.

Pathfinder only.

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 04:24 PM

Oh, forgot to give the PF tag to the thread.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 04:26 PM
The infamous (and 3rd party) Immortal Handbook claims:

This is as far as I know, the closest any d20 product has ever come to giving an HP value for a planet.

I thought a planet would have at least a million or a billion hit points.

Resileaf
2019-01-15, 04:31 PM

Eh, you can hardly consider something 3rd party to be canon anyway.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 04:38 PM
Eh, you can hardly consider something 3rd party to be canon anyway.

Yes. Third Party is a way to go. Not to go off-topic but an epic wizard probably in level 100 can destroy a planet or certainly a wish spell can destroy a planet easily. :smile:

noob
2019-01-15, 04:46 PM
There is world ending threats way before high epic.
So destroying the planet should be low or mid epic.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 04:47 PM
There is world ending threats way before high epic.
So destroying the planet should be low or mid epic.

How low or mid epic levels are we talking about?

noob
2019-01-15, 04:57 PM
How low or mid epic levels are we talking about?

It should probably be before cr 30.
So probably stuff from cr 21 to 30.
Possibly earlier if you like.

Resileaf
2019-01-15, 04:58 PM
There's a difference between destroying the planet, as in making it uninhabitable, and shattering the planet, turning it into tiny pieces that float into space.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 05:01 PM
It should probably be before cr 30.
So probably stuff from cr 21 to 30.
Possibly earlier if you like.

21 to 30? That's very low for an epic situation. :confused:

noob
2019-01-15, 05:13 PM
21 to 30? That's very low for an epic situation. :confused:

30 is what I call mid epic: at that level you already ran out of monsters of appropriate cr for challenging the players and have to either create new monsters or use hordes or start making the players fight gods.

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 05:16 PM
30 is what I call mid epic: at that level you already ran out of monsters of appropriate cr for challenging the players and have to either create new monsters or use hordes or start making the players fight gods.

Ok. But there's still monster above 30+ CR.

noob
2019-01-15, 05:17 PM
Ok. But there's still monster above 30+ CR.

That are either exactly as strong as lower cr monsters or weaker.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:25 PM

I think this question falls pretty squarely into the "who knows?" category.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-15, 05:40 PM
Pretty sure Rockburst can only affect a 20' burst.It affects an object within a 20' burst. If you shatter a Gargantuan clay golem but only hit half of its spaces, the golem still takes full damage (save willing, of course). If part of the planet is within that 20' burst, you should affect the whole planet, since the spell affects one object within the burst, and a solid planet is one object. Or you could affect one solid tectonic plate if the planet is set up as such.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:42 PM
It affects an object within a 20' burst. If you shatter a Gargantuan clay golem but only hit half of its spaces, the golem still takes full damage (save willing, of course). If part of the planet is within that 20' burst, you should affect the whole planet, since the spell affects one object within the 20', and a solid planet is one object. Or you could affect one solid tectonic plate if the planet is set up as such.

Isn't there some rule that states that a spell can't affect anything outside of its range?

Which in the case of Rockburst is Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level).

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 05:45 PM
Isn't there some rule that states that a spell can't affect anything outside of its range?

Which in the case of Rockburst is Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level).

If you're standing on the planet, pretty sure it's within 100 feet of you.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-15, 05:45 PM

Which in the case of Rockburst is Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level).It affects any target within its area, even if part of the target is outside of the area, unless the size of the object is limited. In this case, it's a minimum of 8 cubic ft for the object affected.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:46 PM
If you're standing on the planet, pretty sure it's within 100 feet of you.

Which should only affect 100 feet of the planet?

It affects any target within its area, even if part of the target is outside of the area, unless the size of the object is limited. In this case, it's a minimum of 8 cubic ft for the object affected.

Does a planet qualify as a single object?

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 05:47 PM
Which should only affect 100 feet of the planet?

I didn't know the earth had 100 feet. Does that make it a centipede?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:48 PM

Don't be pedantic, you know exactly what I meant.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-15, 05:49 PM
Does a planet qualify as a single object?Depends on the planet (as a gaseous or liquid planet isn't actually an object, per se), but I'd say yes, in the same vein as a padlock is one object despite being made of component parts or a brick wall is one object made out of lots of smaller bricks.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:51 PM
Depends on the planet (as a gaseous or liquid planet isn't actually an object, per se),

Well, Rockburst doesn't work on liquid or gaseous planets anyway.

but I'd say yes, in the same vein as a padlock is one object despite being made of component parts or a brick wall is one object made out of lots of smaller bricks.

Seems logical enough.

Calthropstu
2019-01-15, 05:51 PM
Don't be pedantic, you know exactly what I meant.

Relax, I was making a joke. Guess I should have made it blue.

Honestly, I doubt anyone has tried to tackle this within the rules. The only time I've seen it come up was with the void dragons in planescape back in 2e where there was no damage involved... just a dragon sucking up a planet into a sphere of annihilation. So hp was never calculated.

Troacctid
2019-01-15, 05:52 PM
Reference please? I looked around a bit but couldn't find it.
RC 106, "Hit Points."

Bartmanhomer
2019-01-15, 05:53 PM

It's doesn't. The Planet Earth is bigger than 100 feet.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-15, 07:12 PM
RC 106, "Hit Points."
Got it. And since the OP has now specified PF, I verified the same thing here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/exploration-movement#TOC-Breaking-and-Entering).

Sutehp
2019-01-16, 04:05 AM
I can't speak to the statistics angle of this conversation (I'm new to the d20 system), but one thing that I'll mention that may be tangentially relevant is that in the Pathfinder RPG (which as you all know uses the d20 system), one of the setting quirks is that the planet Golarion (the world where Pathfinder takes place) is actually a prison for a qlippoth lord named Rovagug. I don't know the details but apparently Rovagug had destroyed numerous worlds before arriving on Golarion and was such a massive threat that all the good AND evil gods on Golarion had to pull an Enemy Mine in order to imprison Rovagug inside Golarion (essentially using the entire planet as a prison) just to stop him. This bit of flavor text might be useful in determining just how tough an Earth-sized planet should be (In terms of basic planetary factors like size, atmosphere and such, Golarion is basically Earth but with differently shaped continents).

Mordaedil
2019-01-16, 06:01 AM
How many times do you have to cast a maximized empowered Vengeful Gaze of God to break the planet in half?

Even though wiping out the Earth is simple enough by casting Ice Age once.

Eldan
2019-01-16, 06:15 AM
One should also consider that most of the planet is not rock, but either lava or iron, which is considerably harder and tougher.

Malphegor
2019-01-16, 06:43 AM
One should also consider that most of the planet is not rock, but either lava or iron, which is considerably harder and tougher.

Honestly for the iron just slap some polymorphed halflings who are in the form of rust monsters. Halfing appetite+rust monster capacity to eat iron.

Just need something to deal with the lava, which afaik is generally ruled as 'far too much fire damage for most normal parties'

Castilonium
2019-01-16, 06:45 AM
No, Planets are living, not objects. All native living beings are its cells, if you will, so every player character is just a single cell and part of the greater whole.

Not even close.

The total biomass on earth about 5x10^11 tonnes. The total mass of the earth is about 2x10^21 tonnes. So only 0.000000002% of the earth's mass is organic. Also, only 0.05% is water.

A damp rock with moss growing on it has more biomass and water than the earth would if scaled down. The rock itself isn't alive.

ericgrau
2019-01-16, 11:11 AM

I think all this is typically done per 10 foot square, for good reason. Lumping larger sections together for single hit destruction from a mega attack is outside of the scope of the rules, but you could totally speculate. The question then I think is once you get enough damage to destroy a 10 foot square/cube, how much extra damage does it take to destroy surrounding cubes? Probably some amount more than destroying them directly from closer up. At least until you get deep into the planet, then the energy is probably conserved better from being surrounded by cubes. So... most of the planet actually. You may be able to solve for 1 cube then multiply to extend it to the whole planet, and job done.

Here are the breaking rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/exploration.htm#breakingAndEntering

Hardness and HP should be simple enough. Extrapolating str DC could be a bit harder, but there's probably some sort of pattern.

If an item has lost half or more of its hit points, the DC to break it drops by 2.
Maybe add 2 to the str DC per double HP? So DC = constant1 + log(HP/constant2)/log(2) * 2. Unless you find another pattern.

You probably apply hardness more than once. As a guess you could apply it once per 10 foot cube.

I leave the details as an exercise for the super bored.

Elkad
2019-01-16, 12:45 PM
That's a casual 7,5 billion hitpoints and a break DC of 1 billion. and a whopping 8 hardness

This is close enough for me.

A 1 mile diameter iron asteroid (at 1d6/50lbs) is 1.4billion d6 of damage, assuming I entered my Wolphram query correctly. 5 billion damage.
Better use two.

Of course in a vacuum, falling speed should be uncapped. So the 20d6 limit (at 180'/s or 1/30th of a mile/second) should be more like 4200d6 for going 7 miles/second (minimum velocity for something falling to earth from space). But that disappears into the noise, so we might as well ignore it. Even at 300+miles/second, it's not enough extra to matter, maybe 200,000d6

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 12:56 PM
This is close enough for me.

A 1 mile diameter iron asteroid (at 1d6/50lbs) is 1.4billion d6 of damage, assuming I entered my Wolphram query correctly. 5 billion damage.
Better use two.

Of course in a vacuum, falling speed should be uncapped. So the 20d6 limit (at 180'/s or 1/30th of a mile/second) should be more like 4200d6 for going 7 miles/second (minimum velocity for something falling to earth from space). But that disappears into the noise, so we might as well ignore it. Even at 300+miles/second, it's not enough extra to matter, maybe 200,000d6Well, the 20d6 is for an object falling at terminal velocity. An object can be hurled downward at far faster speeds than that, and if it's traveling fast enough and is dense enough, air resistance won't slow it down appreciably, meaning the terminal velocity limit is a non-issue.

Plus, something weighing thousands or millions of tons should deal significantly more than 20d6 damage anyway.

zfs
2019-01-16, 01:01 PM
A damp rock with moss growing on it has more biomass and water than the earth would if scaled down. The rock itself isn't alive.

In reality, sure. But in D&D, just about everything at least has an animus or spirit - hence why there are spells that let you speak with stones, earth, water, etc.

Resileaf
2019-01-16, 02:06 PM
I'll mention again that there is a difference between destroying the planet and making it uninhabitable. Destroying all life on the planet is easy. Destroying the entire planet is nigh impossible. A mile-long asteroid would wipe out all life on the planet, but it wouldn't destroy it. It would still be in one piece, just bereft of life.

When I think destroy the planet, I think break it into pieces. Shatter the whole rock into dust. To do that, you probably need something as big as the planet itself, or nearly so.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 02:14 PM
I'll mention again that there is a difference between destroying the planet and making it uninhabitable. Destroying all life on the planet is easy. Destroying the entire planet is nigh impossible. A mile-long asteroid would wipe out all life on the planet, but it wouldn't destroy it. It would still be in one piece, just bereft of life.

When I think destroy the planet, I think break it into pieces. Shatter the whole rock into dust. To do that, you probably need something as big as the planet itself, or nearly so.

Does Pathfinder have Epic Spellcasting like in D&D 3.5?

Because if you abuse mitigation enough, you can make an epic spell that can destroy a planet.

Sutehp
2019-01-16, 02:18 PM

This. Earth itself has gone through no less than five extinction events in the last 600 million years, including the K-T Extinction (AKA the Cretaceous-tertiary event) that wiped out the dinosaurs 65.5 million years ago. Hell, the K-T event wasn't even the biggest/worst of the five; that title would go to Permian-Triassic Event, which wiped out no less than 95% of all surface life on Earth at the time. Scientists nicknamed that event the "Great Dying" for a reason. :smalleek:

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 02:28 PM
This. Earth itself has gone through no less than five extinction events in the last 600 million years, including the K-T Extinction (AKA the Cretaceous-tertiary event) that wiped out the dinosaurs 65.5 million years ago. Hell, the K-T event wasn't even the biggest/worst of the five; that title would go to Permian-Triassic Event, which wiped out no less than 95% of all surface life on Earth at the time. Scientists nicknamed that event the "Great Dying" for a reason. :smalleek:According to Wikipedia (the most accurate source on Earth, obviously), it was ~70% of all terrestrial life and ~96% of all aquatic life.

That's kind of terrifying. Bad for life in general, but good for us, since we'd likely wouldn't exist without it.

HouseRules
2019-01-16, 06:39 PM
What ever is in the core of Earth is sufficient to produce Uranium.

In other words, are there too many scientist are dreaming about planets are not nuclear reacting in their core?

Jay R
2019-01-16, 07:13 PM
The first question is, what is a planet on your world?

In mine, the Earth is the motionless center of the universe, and all the planets (the moon, Mercury, Venus, the sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn) orbit it in a complex of epicycles, as described in Ptolemy.

To destroy a planet, first you have to get to the eternal and unchanging heavens. Remember what happened when Icarus tried it.

The earth is not a planet. But assuming that's your real target, you could not "destroy" the earth, since it's just all the stuff that collected at the center of the universe. Blow it up, and it will all just settle there again.

The PCs have no idea if there is a center, what it's made of, how fractured it is (some mountains have rock that is much more fractured than others), how big it is, etc. And without Knowledge (Modern Physics), they won't be able to find out.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 08:10 PM
A 20th level ardent with the dominant ideal and substitute powers ACFs (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a), Maximize Power, Widen Power, energy wave, and Metapower (Widen Power + energy wave) could do it. Especially if there are enough ML boosters to ensure that the whole thing is destroyed.

Just apply the Maximize Power feat and a massive number of +0 pp/no psionic focus Widen Power feats to a [sonic] energy wave enough times to engulf the entire planet and shake it apart with a sonic vibration spread that ignores hardness entirely and continually eats away at matter as the spread fills the newly made voids left in its wake. Just measure matter by inches of thickness (as materials are measured by having X hardness and Y hp per inch of thickness), and you should be able to destroy practically anything that isn't riverine.

Of course, you'd have to be far enough away from the planet for the thousands-of-miles-long cone to engulf the whole thing, but both teleportation and flight to the moon should be plausible.

The hardest part is avoiding detection by spellcasters and gods who manage to survive the assault and now want your head on a stick.

Troacctid
2019-01-16, 09:00 PM
I'm not sure that would work very well. If the planet is damaged in sections, then the inner sections would have total cover when you manifest the power, as would the sections on the opposite hemisphere. You'd have to manifest it repeatedly for a very large number of iterations. It would be very effective at wiping out all the lifeforms on the planet, but not quite as effective at smashing the planet itself.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure that would work very well. If the planet is damaged in sections, then the inner sections would have total cover when you manifest the power, as would the sections on the opposite hemisphere. You'd have to manifest it repeatedly for a very large number of iterations. It would be very effective at wiping out all the lifeforms on the planet, but not quite as effective at smashing the planet itself.Energy wave is a spread, and if a section of matter is destroyed by a spread (such as a fireball), the spread keeps spreading until matter it touches is not destroyed by it.

As stated in the fireball spell:

The fireball sets fire to combustibles and damages objects in the area. It can melt metals with low melting points, such as lead, gold, copper, silver, and bronze. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier shatters or breaks through it, the fireball may continue beyond the barrier if the area permits; otherwise it stops at the barrier just as any other spell effect does.

Troacctid
2019-01-16, 09:15 PM
Energy wave is a spread, and if a section of matter is destroyed by a spread (such as a fireball), the spread keeps spreading until matter it touches is not destroyed by it.

As stated in the fireball spell:
That's not a general rule for spreads—it's specific to fireball and a couple other similar spells. Although now that you point it out, being a spread does mean it would affect the other half of the planet too.

Bavarian itP
2019-01-17, 12:02 AM
In other words, are there too many scientist are dreaming about planets are not nuclear reacting in their core?

What are you trying to say? Three times "are" in one sentence = ghibberish

Calthropstu
2019-01-17, 08:01 AM
What are you trying to say? Three times "are" in one sentence = ghibbareish
Fixed it for you.

Eldan
2019-01-17, 09:16 AM
What ever is in the core of Earth is sufficient to produce Uranium.

There are nuclear reactions in the Earth's core, yes. All throughout the planet, actually, all the time, including in the atmosphere and inside people. But Uranium is not produced there, as such: there's a lot of nuclear decay, some fission, but no fusion. It comes, like most materials, from stars.