PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Animated Object Carriage as a tank?

Citadel97501
2019-01-15, 03:14 PM
Hello all, I saw a thread talking about using carriages as a group mount and I was thinking that this could be interesting for a character but having your mounts exposed seems dangerous so I was looking for anyway to protect them, and all I cam up with as other options was the Animated Object so I was wondering if I read this right.

Tank Stats: Lets say a carriage is a huge object without the horses so with 1 x 5th level spell slot you could have it moving 60' per turn without horses for roughly a minute, or 600', as you could order it to take the dash action? This seems to be an inefficient way to make a tank (spell slot wise) but it would let you have a damn tough mount that you can likely armor using the barding rules for making heavy armor plates (splint) depending on DM.

Tank Weapons: If someone closes to within 30' of your tank instead of dashing you just have the tank move up and then smash them with a +8 doing, 2d12+4, and another 2 (small) spears +6 to hit 1d8+4, that can project out of the tank to hit people 5' away. There is an argument that the carriage is controlled so it can't make an attack unless the driver lets it act uncontrolled.

Mounted Combatant: As long as any of the party riding on the carriage has this feat enemies must attack him instead likely with 3/4 cover heavy armor and a shield for an impressive 24 AC (splint with shield and 3/4 cover). He also could have a reach weapon and have continuous advantage since 99% of things will be smaller than his "mount".

Sigreid
2019-01-15, 03:26 PM
I've thought of something similar. When he is high enough my wizard will likely invest in developing an iron golem horse to pull a wagon or serve as a mount.

krugaan
2019-01-15, 03:29 PM
I've thought of something similar. When he is high enough my wizard will likely invest in developing an iron golem horse to pull a wagon or serve as a mount.

Only problem with that is that animate objects only lasts a minute :(

Citadel97501
2019-01-15, 03:34 PM

Yeah which is why I didn't bother really optimizing it due to the duration. Although I could see the driver having phantom steed pull it then having to switch to animated after the phantom steed takes damage.

Sigreid
2019-01-15, 04:58 PM

Yep, that's why I'm thinking full on iron golem horses. Though it would be a reasonable request to a DM to permanently enchant a wagon or carriage with animate object. Similar to the armor, and swords and brooms etc.