PDA

View Full Version : Wand Master

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 03:43 PM
So, I’m thinking of making a character focused on wands. This would probably be 3.5 with PF allowed case by case. I can wield 8 wands simultaneously. I’ve never been one to rely on magic items at all, so I’m not exactly familiar with the feats or classes that would mesh best with this idea and would like to lay out a spell set or two to use those 8 wands on.

Cleric of Magic getting Improved Domain Power all 4 time times(if ruled favorably on that) can get me up to Cleric*2 free charges per day, or Cleric/2 if ruled unfavorably. That is pretty nice and Cleric 20 is always a good bet, but are there better options?

Human Major Vampire Bloodline 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Scientist 9/Cannith Wand Adept 3/Scientist 1/Legacy Champion(vamp blood) 6
Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 14

Flaw: University Education
Flaw: Dragon Prophet
First: Laborious Training(Prophecy Artifex retrain @4th)
Human: Create Scroll Device(Improved Domain Power retrain @5th)
Cleric: Improved Magic Domain Power x2
Dragon's Eye Altar: Least Dragonmark(Making)
Heward’s Hall(Alt): Craft Wand
Third: Create Wondrous Device
Scientist 4: Create Wand Device
Sixth: Greater Dragonmark
Scientist 8: Magical Artisan
Ninth: Wand Mastery
Twelfth: Extend Spell
Fifteenth: Metamagic Spell Trigger
Eighteenth: Chain Spell
Retrain: Bloodline: Skill Focus(Know: Arcana), Cleric: Lesser Dragonmark, Scientist: Cull Wand Essence, Cannith: Item Familiar, Legacy: Magical Artisan(Wand)

Applied Chemestry: 1d4 cooldown by default except at will

At Will-Acid Splash, Purify Food and Drink, Detect Poison, Flare, Light
Sci+Int/day- Burning Hands, Grease, Obscuring Mist
Int+1/day- Cloudkill, Stoneskin, Fire Shield, Solid Fog, Acid Fog, Fire Seeds, Incindiary Cloud, Iron Body

Skills: 47 starting

1 Autohypnosis
3 Bluff
1 Craft Woodworking
6 Craft Wordsmithing
9 Decipher Script
8 Know Arcana
9 Know Engineer
3 Slight of Hand

Caduceus Woodwand was conscripted into the church at a young age. Being frail and meek, he was sent back with the monk scholars to help in the library rather than join the crusaders in more combat oriented training. He didn't mind this at all. He had always loved to read and had a knack for languages, but the more he learned about history and the church, the more jaded he became. The church had all of this money, and power, but it was hoarded for themselves and for their grand temples to spread the word of the gods. But what really irked him was that they hoarded knowledge on the nature of the world. They called the books heresy, but most of them were just journals and records of people performing miracles not through magic, but through the use of the laws of nature the gods put in place for the world. The church looked down on arcane magic, but 'at least it's derived from Mystra' they would say, but this stuff, they locked it up tight.

They noticed his aptitude for deciphering scripts and quickly moved him to copying ancient tomes that were barely legible instead of the secretary work they had him on initially. But Caducues would steal away to those forbidden books as often as he could, and always endeavored to memorize as much as he was able in as short a time as humanly possible. The clergy would find him sometimes, but he would feign ignorance or that he was sent to lock up a book. He wasn't very good at his lies, but he managed to avoid severe repercussions for time.

He started writing in little codes here and there in the books he was scribing, little secrets and snipits of the forbidden knowledge of science for those with the wherewithal to find them, but eventually this was his downfall. When his 'treachery' was found out, he was banished from the church and his connection to the divine severed, but he was not deterred. He got a job as a clerk for a public library a few towns over and was able to write a sizable volume on the sciences in his spare time as well as start to dabble on his own.

Let's see, the delay in pulling it off is irritating, but whatever. ECL 3 can be making wands if backgrounded in the magic locations, they are 'only' cleric 1st and 0th plus mending and minor creation, but he can Alchemy up a bit. Legacy advancing vamp blood also advances scientist's ability to attach devices, cannith's wand boosts, and the effective cleric levels. Technically would also advance the legacy champ's advancing class feature, but let's ignore that. Cleric effective level 9 for 16 free charges/day if he crafts an item as well, otherwise 12/day. Cannith +11 DC/CL. Scientist 18 to attach devices is pretty much automatic.

Removed the crafting reduction feats to clear out the faustian pact and snag Item Familiar for my mega wand chamber. Has access to all lists for their wands, even if they are a bit pricey. 16 spells per day is kinda low, but he has some at will 0s from scientist and short cooldown ones from higher levels, thee 1st level 23/day, bunch of other higher levels 6/day.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 03:51 PM
Are you playing with Action Points?

If so, you can pick up the Wand Surge feat to burn Action Points instead of wand charges.

Even better, but really cheesy, you can try to get access to the spell Unfettered Heroism, which gives you a free Action Point every round.

It's a 5th level Bard & Wizard/Sorcerer spell, though.

But Greater Anyspell can help with that.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 04:08 PM
That’s a no on the action points, good to know for the future now. Thank you.

Double Wand Wielder seems ok, able to ‘cast’ twice. The extra charges hurt, but for a poor mans’s quicken(b/c you spent your WBL on wands)I suppose it’s ok. Wand strike... that’s just crap. Any other wand feats?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 04:10 PM
This guide on wands (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=10575.0) is incomplete, but might help.

WhamBamSam
2019-01-15, 04:12 PM
Alaunghaer's Triptych, a Sor/Wiz 5 spell from one of the Wyrms of the North (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030226a) articles can activate three wands for one standard action casting (with a 5% failure rate on each activation). It may take your swift action as well as your standard under a 3.5 update, but it may just prevent you from casting a Quickened Spell in the same round while leaving your swift for other things (it was republished online around the time of the 3.5 transition, so it may just be like Kauper's Quickblast and exist in a weird area between 3.0 and 3.5 Quickened Spells). Ask your DM.

Cannith Wand Adept can activate two wands simultaneously as a full-round action. It also has a class feature that increases the save DC for wands based on class level. I think one of the old Stormwind Optimization Showcases used Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster to increase the effective Cannith Wand Adept level.

flappeercraft
2019-01-15, 04:37 PM
Ever heard of the spell Awaken from Afar? Well chain it. Now you can activate CL+1 (max 21) wands with a standard action. Congrats you broke the game. If you want to go further, twin it too. Go the extra mile and now cast Twin Celerity and use those standard actions for other Awaken from Afars.

Now you have effectively 126 wand uses per round.

Tone down as fit for your game.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-01-15, 04:39 PM
Rod of many wands (CM) lets you trigger 3 wands simultaneously.

A dip in Divine Agent gets you UMD as a Cleric, use arcane wands.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 05:50 PM
Ouch, Wand Adept not advancing casting at all hurts. I could go Scientist instead if I could get Ravenloft green-lighted, semi-official so it's a maybe. War looking at the artificer and while he counts as having a caster level for item prerequisites, he doesn't seem to count for feat prerequisites, seems a bit odd to me, do the item creation feats still work if you don't meet the pre-reqs and don't have an exemption like the monk's feats?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 05:53 PM
War looking at the artificer and while he counts as having a caster level for item prerequisites, he doesn't seem to count for feat prerequisites, seems a bit odd to me, do the item creation feats still work if you don't meet the pre-reqs and don't have an exemption like the monk's feats?

I'm pretty sure the Artificer has a caster level for her Infusions, which are magic. That should allow her to qualify for magic item creation feats.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 07:06 PM
Not seeing it. Was using online source, but opened my Eberron Campaign Setting and still not seeing CL for infusions under the class entry, maybe under the infusions section itself?

Edit: Moved to OP

Troacctid
2019-01-15, 07:10 PM
Nobody's mentioned Wand Bonding (City of Stormreach). Allows you to spend spell slots or infusions instead of wand charges.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 07:12 PM
Not seeing it. Was using online source, but opened my Eberron Campaign Setting and still not seeing CL for infusions under the class entry, maybe under the infusions section itself?

Let's see,
Human Major Vampire Bloodline 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Scientist 10/Cannith Wand Adept 3/Legacy Champion(vamp blood) 6
Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 14
Flaw: University Education
Flaw: Extraordinary Artisan
First: Laborious Training(Exceptional Artisan retrain @4th)
Human: Create Scroll Device(Legendary Artisan retrain @3rd)
Faustian: Dragon Prophet, Prophecy Artifex
Cleric: Knowledge Devotion, Improved Magic Domain Power x2
Dragon's Eye Altar: Least Dragonmark(Making)
Heward’s Hall: Craft Wand
Third: Create Wondrous Device
Sixth: Greater Dragonmark
Ninth: Wand Mastery
Twelfth: Extend Spell
Fifteenth: Metamagic Spell Trigger
Eighteenth: Chain Spell
Retrain: Bloodline: Skill Focus(Know: Arcana), Cleric: Lesser Dragonmark, Scientist: Cull Wand Essence, Cannith: Create Wand Device, Legacy: Improved Domain Power

It may be a dysfunction in the rules.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 09:50 PM
Feel like this character is going to be Bram the Honorary Wizard (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAPJ_4iK1yg). I mean, yeah, he has magic with the dragonmark and cleric cantrips, but scientist is his big hitter. Would be scrapping by level 1, infinite cantrips and a handful of firsts might do him well enough after that. When he get's to 6th his options really open up, but he's a discount wizard until then.