PDA

View Full Version : Seeking versatile fighting style recommendation

DnDude
2019-01-15, 08:22 PM
As a dex type melee fighting Ranger using finesse blades, reach whip, and ranged crossbow and blowgun for weapons. I'm not sure which style makes more sense. TWF where dex bonus applies to hit with both main and offhand weapons Or dueling one hand style with improved AC? Thinking about possible feat and bonus action options when choosing. Not wanting to build another archer. Any help \guidance out there is welcome, thanks

Ganymede
2019-01-15, 08:26 PM
If you aren't sure what to fighting style to take, go with Defense. It provides a benefit no matter what weapons you are wielding.

Sigreid
2019-01-15, 08:30 PM
For what you described I would go TWF. With the fighting style it only falls behind when you get 3+ attacks as part of your action and a ranger won't.

thoroughlyS
2019-01-15, 09:06 PM
I would ask my DM about the Mariner fighting style (UA:Waterborne Adventures p.3 (http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Waterborne_v3.pdf)). It gives the bonus AC of Defense, plus expands your maneuverability options.

djreynolds
2019-01-15, 10:32 PM
Every style is great.

Will you use a shield?

It's an action to don and diff. For someone switching weapon sets, perhaps not the best for you.

Dueling is very nice, but that's with a shield or no off hand weapon.

TWF is just fine.

Defensive works with weapon layout.

But I like archery style, +2 to hit is very powerful.

A cheap solution is to grab 1 level of fighter

McSkrag
2019-01-16, 01:47 AM
It depends on the rest of the party and what your combat role will be.

If you have a couple of high AC tanks who can handle the front line, then TWF for more damage, but less AC, is a good call.

If you are going to be on the front line or don't know about the rest of your party then dueling with a sword + shield is better since you will need the AC.

Remember that as a Ranger you will be concentrating on spells and every time you get hit you will need to make a CON save to maintain concentration. A higher AC will help a lot with this.

The defense fighting style for +1 AC is always a solid choice.

DnDude
2019-01-16, 09:21 AM
So the party..(the Crypt keeper 5) consists of 2 wizard types, 1 fighter, 1 druid, and my PC a ranger. As our monicker implies we deal in final arrangements for the horrors of the night. "Vanhelsing?"
Our DM (20+yrs.xp) is imaginative and flexible with PC's concepts up to a point. He says "bring me what you want and I'll give it a look see."
Zakarazryal; a Wood elf with the Inquisitor background (homebrew 5e) an agent of the church. He's a non spell Ranger (sub's superiority D8's and maneuver's, herbalism, healing pulstices and other stuff up the Rung's instead of the spells normally granted per level) rolled stats str12 dex15 con16 int13 wis14 cha13.. So he's Dexy..
Zak plans to make use of his sword, dagger, whip, light crossbow, and blowgun to slay or subdue as a monster slayer if he can survive to 3rd level.
No shield; other than improvised/availability stuff, leather armor until better found.. Oh and we get to start 1st level with a feat; I chose Lucky.
I understand that any PC can attack using two weapons with varying disadvantages, and the value of a free hand when it comes to bonus actions is big. I'm trying to get ahead of myself and don't want to miscombo fighting style\styles with feats.
My DM likes the whole concept. "Lots of ranger aren't really casters like Argonne or Han solo, not all are power rangers."