PDA

View Full Version : Domain Access Sorcerer + Momento Magica

Yogibear41
2019-01-15, 09:08 PM
If I am using the Domain Access Sorcerer variant from Complete champion, would a momento Magica (or a similar item/method or regaining spells) allow me to to get around the one domain spell per level per day limit?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 09:16 PM
I believe that the Momento Magica would allow you to bypass that restriction.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-15, 09:30 PM
No. The 1/day limit is part of the alternate class feature. It has nothing to do with regaining spell slots.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 09:40 PM
In addition, you can cast one domain spell of each spell level available to you per day from that domain.

When activated, a memento magica allows you to regain any one spell slot that you have previously used this day. The spell slot is available just as if the spell had not been cast.

Now that I've seen the exact wording of the ACF, it sounds like that the Memento Magica wouldn't let you bypass Domain Access' 1/day restriction.

Thurbane
2019-01-15, 09:46 PM
I thought it was an awesome ACF when I first saw it, but the drawbacks in lost spells known don't seem to be worth it...

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 09:48 PM
I thought it was an awesome ACF when I first saw it, but the drawbacks in lost spells known don't seem to be worth it...

Yeah, Sorcerers are already hurting in the spells known department. :smallfrown:

RoboEmperor
2019-01-15, 09:55 PM
Yeah, Sorcerers are already hurting in the spells known department. :smallfrown:

I would've considered using the ACF if there wasn't the 1/day limit on the domain spells. I understand the reason behind it, clerics only get one domain spell slot and all, but damn, this is unusable.

DrMotives
2019-01-15, 10:16 PM
That restriction can be gotten around by making wands, scrolls, or potions of the spell in question, which is what I always assumed the idea was with that ACF. But if you aren't down with spending downtime, xp, and cash on consumable magics, getting a domain just isn't worth it.

I guess it can power a reserve feat, but other than the healing one what does a sorcerer need divine spells to tap into reserve feats?

Blackhawk748
2019-01-15, 10:45 PM
That restriction can be gotten around by making wands, scrolls, or potions of the spell in question, which is what I always assumed the idea was with that ACF. But if you aren't down with spending downtime, xp, and cash on consumable magics, getting a domain just isn't worth it.

I guess it can power a reserve feat, but other than the healing one what does a sorcerer need divine spells to tap into reserve feats?

Or you could just take the feat that gives you access to a Domain and you use your Wis for the casting stat (the name escapes me atm). Hell, that one lets you actually take the Domain spells as Sorc spells if you want, though I usually use it for stuff I woon't wanna cast more than 1/day anyway.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 10:46 PM
Or you could just take the feat that gives you access to a Domain and you use your Wis for the casting stat (the name escapes me atm).

Arcane Disciple. I believe it still costs a spell known, though.

Yogibear41
2019-01-15, 11:12 PM
I was trying to use it to get access to high powered healing spells without the help of a deity, domain access doesn't require a deity based on the word arcane disciple does, unfortunately.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-15, 11:15 PM
I was trying to use it to get access to high powered healing spells without the help of a deity, domain access doesn't require a deity based on the word arcane disciple does, unfortunately.

I just use Polymorph for my healing needs. And Planar Binding line of spells.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-15, 11:15 PM
I just use Polymorph for my healing needs. And Planar Binding line of spells.

Can't you also use Summon Monster for that purpose as well?

RoboEmperor
2019-01-15, 11:25 PM
Can't you also use Summon Monster for that purpose as well?

I stopped playing arcane casters and I didn't know SM had healing at the time. But yeah, you can totally do that. Earliest I could find is SMVI with the Bralani.

Yogibear41
2019-01-15, 11:31 PM
I've got out of combat healing covered, wanted Heal for incombat healing when I needed a large amount on demand. Character is also LE, so while an evil arcane caster could summon a good outsider it feels very out of character for them to do so.

Also wanted a stick it to divine casters feel with a "I can do healing without a deity's help" kind of vibe.

More or less attempting to make an arcane cleric. Been toying around with ideas like death master/bard/utlimate magus, or domain sorcerer for healing spells.

Ruethgar
2019-01-15, 11:45 PM
Ur Priest and Mystic Theurge(trial based pre-requisites or Sanctum Spell). Insist that you aren't stealing it, its you power, that part's mostly fluff anyway. Alternate Source Spell if you really want it to be arcane. Also there is that little bit about Sorcerers being able to pick any spell they are familiar with, if you've decent Spellcraft, you are familiar with a lot of spells. Could also finagle in a way to justify it a bit more like the divine companion acf or the celestial bloodline feat.

RoboEmperor
2019-01-16, 12:26 AM
Grab Assume Supernatural Ability:Positive Energy Lash
Alter Self into a Xag-ya
Heal 2d8+5 five times
Repeat

Doesn't have to be a Xag-ya. Can be any creature with a Supernatural healing effect