PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Builds

KyleG
2019-01-16, 02:56 AM
Hopefully i can get some suggestions for three builds. This isnt about Optimizing the build as it is the character. Traits/Bonds/flaws backstory that sort of thing is where i would like some help with inspiration.

The first is for a Warforged Skirmisher Rogue (maybe Druid) Build.
This is an infiltrator character. disguise self is going to be a core roleplaying feature i suspect. I want to role play her skills sets activating when she levels up like she has unlocked another level of programming.

the Second is using Short Circuits Johnny 5 as the inspiration. Warforged and probably an envoy. He was built for war but now just thirsts for knowledge. I am absolutely going to ask the DM for the ability to speed read as an extra then have her enter bookstores read books and then toss them aside...chaos. I think he is going to have little people skills and with an almost single minded focus on "Input".
My current idea for the build is 14+1 / 12 / 13+1 / 15+1/ 8 / 10. That isnt set in stone, but despite that high intelligence he is a martial character no core spellcasting. Maybe a Ranger (urban)? lack of wisdom not so good thou. Barbarian?

The last is the Warforged Juggernaut. I think i have the build but i would like some help with the traits/bonds/flaws and backstory.
With the Master Chief and She-Ra as the inspiration.
S.I.E.R - R.A Is a Battlemaster. With her Greatsword she is a force for good. 14+2 / 10 / 15+1 / 10 / 13 / 10 Seems reasonable.

goremonger
2019-01-16, 04:33 AM
For "Speed Read" take keen mind. It might not technically make you a faster reader, but it gives you a perfect memory. So read a book once, and remember it word for word. Maybe a DM would rule you could just scan a page and remember it like an image, and then look more closely at your memory of he page at a later date to read it carefully.

KyleG
2019-01-16, 03:46 PM
I like the scan idea if I can't get an outright speed read ability.
For my MC inspired option I just had a thought maybe he could be a paladin/combat cleric and flavour cortana as his diety. My original thoughts had been to look for a magic item granting some sort of intelligence benefit.
A few more,details on the skirmisher build...im playing the statue/gargoyle angle as inspiration. Hiding in plain sight.

samcifer
2019-01-16, 04:00 PM
I still want to make a warforged wizard who is wandering the land and studying magic in hope of discovering the methods used to create his kind and stop warforged from being a race that is slowly dying out as there are no new warforged being created.

Whiskeyjack8044
2019-01-16, 04:29 PM
For Non-Ebberon Warforged let me tell you about The Mean Machine.

Envoy: +1 Dex +1 Wis, Proficiency in intimidation, and integrated tinker's tools (little screwdrivers and tweezers and such in the fingers).

Monk: Way of the Open Palm.

20 small crystals ( representing Ki) dot across the frame of this construct, they glow a slight blue color when charged with the magic known as Ki. When a charge is used the glowing light goes out until they are recharged. I think it would be cool to see more of these crystals glowing as you level up and get more Ki points.

Also for more flavor, instead of throwing darts, you shoot your spring loaded "fingers" from your non-tinker tool hand. Another slides into place until you are out of darts. Mechanically it's no different than just throwing the dart.

And for even more flavor pick primordial as your language and say you were made from combining a Golem and an aAwakened Shrub. Your inventor was a Rock Gnome Wizard that used you as a Body Gaurd/Assistant. You carry his Bones in a backpack, he never told you to stop protecting him after he died.

Add a dash of sassy robot along the lines of HK-74 and you've got a cool character that's fun to roleplay. Try your best Robot voice.

KyleG
2019-01-20, 03:43 AM
I've had some other thoughts

1. I'm leaning away from Druid. I had a nostalgic thought of transformers in my head more so as a form of disguise. I pictured this scene of being delivered to a criminal safe house as like a stone statue. reactivating later and letting others to rob the place/kill the leader. But i don't think that's possible. Wish there was a shapeshifter CLASS =) Maybe just make her straight Rogue.
I think it might be interesting to play her with survivors guilt if i can determine what happened.

2. Perhaps a spy background or a chronicler. Maybe he has joined the adventuring party as he sees some of the greatness he has read about in them and wants to bear witness to it and record it. (I'm thinking his name is Journal) Maybe i could restat it more like a Lore Bard? The knowledge thing fits and it would be inspiring quotes instead of music to cast?

3. I thought her purpose maybe she has been sent on one last commissioned mission to find the other Warforged of her model that are MIA, and bring them back into the fold or make sure they remain missing....too dark? Any suggestions on creating a rival for her? Maybe just a single Rogue unit is the target? She is military thru and thru so that should dominate her traits/bonds/flaws. But it would be nice to have some slight She-Ra nods. Maybe Grayskull was her unit name. Every time she brings out her sword she says her famous line in honor of them.

Vogie
2019-01-20, 03:19 PM
With invocations, At-will Disguise Self is available for any 2nd-level Warlock, and you can pick up polymorph at level 7.

KyleG
2019-01-20, 04:55 PM
With invocations, At-will Disguise Self is available for any 2nd-level Warlock, and you can pick up polymorph at level 7.

That could work...if the campaign starts at level 3 I could fluff the first two levels as core programmed skills and then start her as a Druid/Ranger perhaps as I still think she is trying to run away (into nature) suffering this survivors guilt. there is something interesting about a Robot with guilt.