PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Thousand-Year Relics

Ironsmith
2019-01-16, 07:08 AM
A series of powerful artifacts, created in a time long since forgotten.

Common Properties:

Each of the Thousand-Year Relics have the following abilities attached to them:

Trap The Soul 1/day, CL 20, Save DC 23. Unlike the version of the spell in the Player's Handbook, this spell does not require a costly gem as a material component; the bearer of a Thousand-Year Relic need only produce a non-magical item to contain the victim's soul. Additionally, breaking this item will not release the soul trapped inside; only killing the bearer of the item or forcing them to yield in a contest of some form will release the victim. Fortunately, the item used to trap a soul in this fashion is not easily broken, gaining +10 hardness and an additional 5d10 hit points, and its nature is made readily apparent, as the trapped soul has its likeness displayed on any continuous surface of the item.
Magic Jar Contingency: Should the user of a Thousand-Year relic be killed while it is on their person, they may elect to store their soul inside the item until another user comes along. This is not by any means mandatory and the soul may pass on to the appropriate afterlife at any time they desire. Should they elect to stay in the item, they remain dormant until the item is picked up by a sentient, non-undead creature, at which point they may attempt to communicate with or possess the creature (Will Save DC 20 negates). Should the dominant soul desire, the possessed victim can be made unconscious for the duration of the possession and therefore unaware of events that unfold while the soul is in control, or they can be made to be fully aware and believe that their actions are their own upon being returned to their body. This effect is in all other ways similar to the Magic Jar spell, as cast by a 20th-level Sorcerer.

Thousand-Year Assemblage
A series of small, irregularly-shaped pieces of gold that can be assembled into triangular pendant with a DC 20 Intelligence check and about an hour's worth of effort. Once put together, the Assemblage can be worn, granting the wearer a +5 enhancement bonus to their Intelligence so long as it is on their person. Additionally, the owner may cast Summon Monster IV up to ten times per day, Summon Monster V up to three times per day, and Summon Monster VIII once per day, as if you were a 20th-level Sorcerer. The Assemblage will fall apart if struck, either in a sunder attempt or after being separated from its owner; it will require re-assembly if this happens.

Thousand-Year Gaze
A golden orb with an eye in its center, roughly the size of an orange. In order to be properly used, the owner must replace their own eye with it; the Gaze does this automatically (though not painlessly) if held to the user's face with this intent. The user of this item can see through any illusion, mundane or magical darkness, etc, as though they were under the effects of an indefinite True Seeing spell. In addition, the owner may cast Detect Thoughts at will (Will Save DC 17 to avoid having thoughts read) as a spell-like ability.

Thousand-Year Ring
A golden ring with a triangular center, with a series of spikes dangling from the bottom. When not in use, the Thousand-Year Ring is hidden within an extradimensional space, appearing to emerge from the owner's chest cavity when they feel the need to use it. When held in hand, the spikes on the bottom of the ring point to an object, creature, or location the user wishes to find, as though they had just cast Locate Object or Locate Creature, only no wards or materials prevent the effect from functioning and the owner need not be familiar with the subject to locate it.

Thousand-Year Balance
A set of golden scales. While being held, the Balance allows the owner to continually use any two of the following effects: Detect Magic, Detect Good, Detect Evil, Zone of Truth (DC 17), or Discern Lies (DC 18). Additionally, the user of the Balance may cast Hallow (if the bearer is Good) or Unhallow (if the bearer is Evil) twice per day, as if they were a 20th-level Cleric.

Thousand-Year Key
A golden key, shaped like an ankh. At will, the owner of the Thousand-Year Key may cast Knock or Passwall, as though they were a 20th-level Sorcerer. Additionally, the owner of the Key may use the Key to unlock a space between their current location and another, arriving in the chosen location as if they had cast Greater Teleport. 1d10 minutes later, or whenever the user decides, the user is shunted back to their original position. The owner may only use this effect once per day.

Thousand-Year Sceptre
A golden rod, topped with a sphere marked with a golden eye. Five times per day each, the user of the Sceptre may use Dominate Person (DC 20), Mass Hold Person (DC 21), or Crushing Despair (DC 19), as though they were a 20th-level Sorcerer.

Thousand-Year Choker
A golden choker depicting an ornate eye. The person wearing the choker may cast Vision, as a 20th-Level Sorcerer, up to five times per day. Alternatively, you may use it to cast Moment of Prescience as a 20th-Level Sorcerer once per day.

Aniikinis
2019-01-16, 09:44 AM
I like them, also commenting mostly because I'm ashamed at myself for how long it took me to understand the reference. I might use them as lost treasures for a campaign in the future.

JeenLeen
2019-01-16, 02:09 PM
Cool, and makes me wish I had finish watching the Yugioh original series.

On the items: as-is, I think it's impossible to use all of them at the same time, mainly due to the Neck slot being both for Assemblage and Choker. Also, would the Gaze use up the glasses/goggles slot, or does it just count as a natural part of the user?
I thought part of it was that you should be able to use all the items at once. (Though I guess for the hand-held ones, just having them on your belt (or extra-dimensional space) is fine.)

For Magic Jar Contingency, maybe have that, if the possession succeeds, the dominating spirit can make the possessed mind aware of its actions if it desires (maybe even thinking it is the person doing them), or be unconscious. Yugi seemed to think he was doing what Pharaoh did, while... Bakura? used the Ring... seemed ignorant of his counterpart.

Ironsmith
2019-01-16, 03:04 PM
I like them, also commenting mostly because I'm ashamed at myself for how long it took me to understand the reference. I might use them as lost treasures for a campaign in the future.

Thanks a bunch, man. And I don't blame you for not picking up the reference that quickly... Yu-Gi-Oh isn't the most highly-referenced anime these days, and as far as I know, the Millenium Items haven't been plot-relevant since the early 2000s.

Cool, and makes me wish I had finish watching the Yugioh original series.

On the items: as-is, I think it's impossible to use all of them at the same time, mainly due to the Neck slot being both for Assemblage and Choker. Also, would the Gaze use up the glasses/goggles slot, or does it just count as a natural part of the user?
I thought part of it was that you should be able to use all the items at once. (Though I guess for the hand-held ones, just having them on your belt (or extra-dimensional space) is fine.)

For Magic Jar Contingency, maybe have that, if the possession succeeds, the dominating spirit can make the possessed mind aware of its actions if it desires (maybe even thinking it is the person doing them), or be unconscious. Yugi seemed to think he was doing what Pharaoh did, while... Bakura? used the Ring... seemed ignorant of his counterpart.

Turns out, there's a site for that. (https://www.yugioh.com/episodes?show_id=1#filters) Feel free to binge. :smallbiggrin:

I would argue that the Assemblage can be worn in any fashion, or even just carried, and not necessarily put on a chain around the user's neck, so it doesn't need to compete with the Choker for body space. The Gaze probably doesn't take up any body slots at all... it'd use the same rules as the Eye of Vecna in that regard (though I can't really find said rules back now).

As for possession, I'm pretty sure that's already in the rules, but I don't see any harm in pointing it out explicitly here, just to be safe.