PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cheap item transportation ideas

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 01:12 PM
Hi everyone!

If anyone can help me with this problem my group has we would all appreciate it.

We're trying to create a homestead where we'll have several vendors creating revenue for us. The problem we have is we won't be able to return to this homestead often at all. So how do we get the profit so we continue to have revenue during our adventures.

So far we've come up with Magic Flying Carpet, Wizard with teleportation, or a courier to arrive ahead of us at places we know we'll be traveling. I think the cheapest/safest idea so far is a Magic Flying Carpet but it's around 400 gp a run I think someone in our group figured out.

If you can possibly think of other ideas that would be more cost effective and somewhat safe we thank you again :)

EDIT:
Feel like I need to clarify we don't have a Wizard in the group. We do have an artificer though. Not sure if that helps or not.

Answer:
For transportation:
Use Create Lantern Spell and Sheltered Vitality to counter the ability drain (Or make a pact with Naberius a vestige).
For carrying items:
UMD 30 DC Envoloping Pit.
1 or 2 Bag's of Holding
(Nothing better than this yet for carrying the items)

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 01:20 PM
What level are you guys?

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 01:24 PM
What level are you guys?

We're currently 5/6 almost 6/7. I'm the low level one. I died :/. They wouldn't let me stay dead. The difficulties of being an artificer lol. People think you're too useful.

zlefin
2019-01-16, 01:31 PM
wait a few levels and then use teleport when you have the downtime that you can afford to use your 4th level slots for it?

or just collect the money infrequently wehen you happen to return to the area anyways; is the income so large a % of your wbl that you need it on a regular basis? do you have ongoing expenses that you need it to cover?

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 01:33 PM
wait a few levels and then use teleport when you have the downtime that you can afford to use your 4th level slots for it?

or just collect the money infrequently wehen you happen to return to the area anyways; is the income so large a % of your wbl that you need it on a regular basis? do you have ongoing expenses that you need it to cover?

I think it's more of not having to worry about finances during any part of our travels. Also wouldn't teleport be a one way trip? We don't have a wizard in our group. I could create a scroll of teleport, or an item of teleport, but then does the cost outweigh anything else we can figure out. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for another idea.

I posed just taking time out of our adventure to just to and get our revenue, but tbh the main guy our entire adventure revolves around won't allow it. Or doesn't want to do it.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 01:33 PM
If the Wizard has teleport, you could buy/craft a level 5 Pearl of Power.

It has a market price of 25,000 GP, about 5,000 more expensive than the smallest Flying Carpet available, but it's faster more reliable.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 01:44 PM
If the Wizard has teleport, you could buy/craft a level 5 Pearl of Power.

It has a market price of 25,000 GP, about 5,000 more expensive than the smallest Flying Carpet available, but it's faster more reliable.

Will this allow an artificer to use it? Because we don't have a wizard in our group. :/

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 01:55 PM
What if you used the item combination rules in the MIC to combine two bags of holding together so that one extradimensional space has two entrances? You can climb in one and climb out the other (and vice versa), or you could stuff items in on one end and pull them out of the other. Leave one end at your home base and take the other with you. It's about the cheapest way you'll manage using magic items, I think.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 02:13 PM
Will this allow an artificer to use it? Because we don't have a wizard in our group. :/

So much for that idea. :smallfrown:

What is the composition of your party?

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 02:42 PM
So much for that idea. :smallfrown:

What is the composition of your party?

Cleric, Artificer, Some Ninja Homebrew Class, Fighter/Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 02:43 PM
What if you used the item combination rules in the MIC to combine two bags of holding together so that one extradimensional space has two entrances? You can climb in one and climb out the other (and vice versa), or you could stuff items in on one end and pull them out of the other. Leave one end at your home base and take the other with you. It's about the cheapest way you'll manage using magic items, I think.

I've never heard of this before. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the idea.

Jack_Simth
2019-01-16, 02:45 PM
Create Lantern Archon (Champions of Valor), a minion at home with UMD, and an Enveloping Pit (Magic Item Compendium). The archon serves for a year, has Greater Teleport at will, and the Enveloping Pit doesn't weigh anything of note.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 02:50 PM
Create Lantern Archon (Champions of Valor), a minion at home with UMD, and an Enveloping Pit (Magic Item Compendium). The archon serves for a year, has Greater Teleport at will, and the Enveloping Pit doesn't weigh anything of note.

Just looked up Lantern Archon. How do I create a non-construct creature? Also the place I looked at says nothing about them using Greater Teleport at will, just aid, detect evil, continual flame

EDIT:
Just did more research. All archons can teleport without failure. Sorry. And apparently you can create one using sanctified magic. Not sure how but doing more research.

EDIT2:
Didn't realize it was a spell lol. But if the Lantern Archo is a good aligned being and you have to be evil to use an Envoloping Pit wouldn't there be problems?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 02:52 PM
Just looked up Lantern Archon. How do I create a non-construct creature? Also the place I looked at says nothing about them using Greater Teleport at will, just aid, detect evil, continual flameAll archons can teleport at will. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-01-16, 02:53 PM
Create Lantern Archon, the archon serves for an hour, unless you arrange otherwise.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-01-16, 02:56 PM
Just looked up Lantern Archon. How do I create a non-construct creature? Also the place I looked at says nothing about them using Greater Teleport at will, just aid, detect evil, continual flame

Create Lantern Archon is a spell in champions of valor

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 03:01 PM
Create Lantern Archon is a spell in champions of valor

He also stated to use an envoloping pit. If a Lanter Archon is good aligned and you have to be evil to use envoloping pit wouldn't there be problems?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-01-16, 03:11 PM
He also stated to use an envoloping pit. If a Lanter Archon is good aligned and you have to be evil to use envoloping pit wouldn't there be problems?You can emulate alignment with UMD (DC 30). Whether the archon would accept holding an evil item is up to the DM (though I wouldn't hold my breath on that). You could always consecrate the enveloping pit, as per the rules in the BoED, I suppose. Or just use a regular bag of holding or handy haversack.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 03:17 PM
You can emulate alignment with UMD (DC 30). Whether the archon would accept holding an evil item is up to the DM (though I wouldn't hold my breath on that). You could always consecrate the enveloping pit, as per the rules in the BoED, I suppose. Or just use a regular bag of holding or handy haversack.

Thanks.

Problem my team forsees. How do we bypass the constitution drain? Just cast restoration each time?

EDIT:
They told me if I create an item of Create Lanter Archon with uses per day/week/month etc I would have to pay the Con drain each time I used it. Is that true?

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 03:49 PM
Thanks.

Problem my team forsees. How do we bypass the constitution drain? Just cast restoration each time?

That's the typical workaround.

EDIT:
They told me if I create an item of Create Lanter Archon with uses per day/week/month etc I would have to pay the Con drain each time I used it. Is that true?

I could have sworn that you only pay components when you make the magic item and not when you use it.

Kalkra
2019-01-16, 06:24 PM
Dimension Door is a second level spell from Trapsmith. An at-will item of it would cost 5400 gp to make.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 07:09 PM
Dimension Door is a second level spell from Trapsmith. An at-will item of it would cost 5400 gp to make.

My DM thinks all prestige classes don't count as they use spells as per a different class. So he just goes by the original class's caster level requirements and such.

I.E. Trapsmith casts spells as per a bard. So I would have to use the bard's class instead. Great idea though. Wish I could do it.

Jack_Simth
2019-01-16, 11:25 PM
Create Lantern Archon, the archon serves for an hour, unless you arrange otherwise.

Weird. Looks like I remembered the spell incorrectly. Needing to make an item to cast it (and clean up after) for each trip is probably not worth the expense. Let's see... Improved Familiar, maybe? An Imp, Latern Archon, or a Mirror Memphit (Expidition to the Demonweb pits) could do the job (the last on the list indirectly: Create a Simulacrum of a critter with teleport at-will)

Oh.

Simulacrum. You'd need to buy a scroll, but if you don't let it get killed, that's a one-time expense. And if you get something like a hound archon, you don't need the extradimensional storage.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-16, 11:27 PM
And if you get something like a hound archon, you don't need the extradimensional storage.

Note that you can summon a Hound Archon with Summon Monster V.

Jack_Simth
2019-01-16, 11:58 PM

That inherits an annoying clause.

Summon Monster V (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterV.htm) includes "This spell functions like summon monster I, except..."
Summon Monster I (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm) includes "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them." (Emphasis added)

If it didn't, you could get by with Summon Monster IV for a Lantern Archon. Summon Nature's Ally works the same way. However, it's not part of the general summoning rules. Hmm.. anything that doesn't inherit from SMI or SNAI... hmm. Looks like most spells that summon critters either inherit from SMI, SNAI, or have the clause themselves....

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-01-17, 12:03 AM

But Summon Monster says that summoned creatures can't use summon spells, teleportation or planar travel.

Edit Saged

DwarvenWarCorgi
2019-01-17, 12:06 AM
Anyway. A better work around for the Con drain of Create Lantern Archon is Sheltered Vitality.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-17, 01:51 AM
Anyway. A better work around for the Con drain of Create Lantern Archon is Sheltered Vitality.

That's awesome thank you :). I was looking up Vestiges and such when I read this xD

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-17, 01:56 AM

Still understand how you get the Lantern Archon to serve for a year tho :/

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-17, 01:58 AM
Hi everyone!

If anyone can help me with this problem my group has we would all appreciate it.

We're trying to create a homestead where we'll have several vendors creating revenue for us. The problem we have is we won't be able to return to this homestead often at all. So how do we get the profit so we continue to have revenue during our adventures.

So far we've come up with Magic Flying Carpet, Wizard with teleportation, or a courier to arrive ahead of us at places we know we'll be traveling. I think the cheapest/safest idea so far is a Magic Flying Carpet but it's around 400 gp a run I think someone in our group figured out.

If you can possibly think of other ideas that would be more cost effective and somewhat safe we thank you again :)

EDIT:
Feel like I need to clarify we don't have a Wizard in the group. We do have an artificer though. Not sure if that helps or not.

Answer:
For transportation:
Use Create Lantern Spell and Sheltered Vitality to counter the ability drain (Or make a pact with Naberius a vestige).
For carrying items:
1 or 2 Bag's of Holding

Uncle Pine
2019-01-17, 02:46 AM
For carrying items:
1 or 2 Bag's of Holding

A type I bag of holding (2,500 gp) can carry 250 lbs. worth of items. 50 coins weigh 1 lb. How much wealth is your homestead producing that you need something like an enveloping pit to transport it? :smallconfused:

Jack_Simth
2019-01-17, 08:15 AM
Still understand how you get the Lantern Archon to serve for a year tho :/

Look up a bit. I didn't remember the spell correctly; it doesn't last a year.

Weird. Looks like I remembered the spell incorrectly. Needing to make an item to cast it (and clean up after) for each trip is probably not worth the expense. Let's see... Improved Familiar, maybe? An Imp, Latern Archon, or a Mirror Memphit (Expidition to the Demonweb pits) could do the job (the last on the list indirectly: Create a Simulacrum of a critter with teleport at-will)

Oh.

Simulacrum. You'd need to buy a scroll, but if you don't let it get killed, that's a one-time expense. And if you get something like a hound archon, you don't need the extradimensional storage.

Chainguy
2019-01-17, 09:32 AM
Pool your ressources to craft Ring Gates? (DMG p.265) Seems like it would do what you're aiming for.

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed the crafting requirements, and it's quite expensive for your level otherwise

Bronk
2019-01-17, 10:22 AM
How about using a shadow wagon? It's less expensive than some of the other options at 12000 gold.
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031110a

You could use hirelings to drive it around for you. You might even try to get your vendor scheme involved with the Itinerant Bazaar itself, and let them do the work.

Fizban
2019-01-17, 10:30 AM
The spell for a year long Lantern Archon is Call Faithful Servants (5th-6th) from BoED. You can't actually cast it unless you're an outsider with the Good subtype, or a sufficiently leveled member of the appropriate prestige class. Or you've found the particular spell from a different book that will temporarily turn you into an outsider with the Good subtype, because hey it's not like it does anything. Or you just dupe it with Limited Wish.

DMs who don't want to allow Lantern Archon exploits (which are more easily fueled with an Improved/Exalted Familiar) can simply point out that no matter what carrying capacity it may have, a Lantern Archon has no hands which which to carry that load. Or a solid enough body to somehow attach one to it.

Do you know where you're going? Adventures don't actually take very long, there shouldn't be hardly any time for "profit" to build up and desperately require dispersal. You've got the levels for Phantom Steed, Wind at Back, and a bunch of other overland speed boosters. Unless you're being sent thousands of miles away, the time it takes to get back ought to be very short.

Uncle Pine
2019-01-17, 01:22 PM
DMs who don't want to allow Lantern Archon exploits (which are more easily fueled with an Improved/Exalted Familiar) can simply point out that no matter what carrying capacity it may have, a Lantern Archon has no hands which which to carry that load. Or a solid enough body to somehow attach one to it.
While lantern archons may be gaseous and not have hands, they can still touch items and therefore carry them around via greater teleport:

This spell functions like teleport, except that there is no range limit and there is no chance you arrive off target. In addition, you need not have seen the destination, but in that case you must have at least a reliable description of the place to which you are teleporting. If you attempt to teleport with insufficient information (or with misleading information), you disappear and simply reappear in your original location. Interplanar travel is not possible.

Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Travel 5
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal and touch
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 01:39 PM
That inherits an annoying clause.

Summon Monster V (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterV.htm) includes "This spell functions like summon monster I, except..."
Summon Monster I (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonMonsterI.htm) includes "A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them." (Emphasis added)

If it didn't, you could get by with Summon Monster IV for a Lantern Archon. Summon Nature's Ally works the same way. However, it's not part of the general summoning rules. Hmm.. anything that doesn't inherit from SMI or SNAI... hmm. Looks like most spells that summon critters either inherit from SMI, SNAI, or have the clause themselves....

But Summon Monster says that summoned creatures can't use summon spells, teleportation or planar travel.

I thought we were talking about healing for some reason. :smallconfused: