PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania Build ideas

Zanthy1
2019-01-16, 01:31 PM
If you have not watched Netflix's Castlevania, you are missing out.

For those of you who have, what would your builds be for the 3 main heros: Alucard, Syphia, and Trevor Belmont?

Syphia to me is probably a straight sorceress who is also a book nerd.

Trevor could be pretty much any type of fighter, paladin, or blood hunter

Alucard is the hardest in my mind, but would love to hear how y'all would get his sword to do what it does in the show, in DnD (aside from an animate object spell)

Man_Over_Game
2019-01-16, 01:37 PM

For those of you who have, what would your builds be for the 3 main heros: Alucard, Syphia, and Trevor Belmont?

Syphia to me is probably a straight sorceress who is also a book nerd.

Trevor could be pretty much any type of fighter, paladin, or blood hunter

Alucard is the hardest in my mind, but would love to hear how y'all would get his sword to do what it does in the show, in DnD (aside from an animate object spell)

Hmm...Sylphia seems like she'd be an Evocation Wizard, but with more emphasis on Concentration spells over blasting.

Trevor seems mostly like a Monster Slayer Ranger, using the Whip as his primary weapon.

Alucard seems mostly like a Bladesinger. Capable of great feats in the middle of combat.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-16, 02:00 PM
I'd use the UA Monster Hunter Fighter over the Monster Slayer Ranger for Belmont. He
doesn't do any spellcasting or teleporting. Mostly just feats of acrobatics and weapon attacks.

Sylphia seems so bookish that I agree a Wizard makes more sense to me than sorcerer. Evocation is mostly what we saw her cast.

Alucard is an interesting one. If we allow that his sword is a Dancing Sword it opens a lot of options. If not EK for weapon bond is a good fit. -Edit: Actually weapon bonding a Dancing Sword is a pretty cool idea for an EK and great fit for Alucard.-

We do see him shift into a wolf, but it seems more polymorph than wildshape. Bladesinger is probably the best option, but you could easily sprinkle EK levels in there. So for me 5-7 eK with the rest in bladesinger is my personal favorite.

Edit: so except for slight tweaks I agree with Man_Over_Game.

Iden Elric
2019-01-17, 12:44 PM
I see your point on Syphia and Trevor

When it comes to Alucard, I have actually taken some inspiration from him to make a Human Mystic character I have been playing and enjoying greatly.
He is order of the Wu Jen, (makes sense in his backstory as a wizarding student) but I found the discipline "Mastery of Wood and Earth" worked quite well for the whole "Animate Weapon" idea. Even without proficiency in the weapon, a rapier can prove quite powerful for the one-handed piercing damage, and stylistically I liked how it fit with the Alucard Aesthetic. I feel as though the Order of the Immortal would be more fitting for his timeless appearance and his physical transformations.

IDK, what do you guys think? Mystics are kind of controversial in some gaming groups because of their "overpowered" scaling. Then again, I feel like Syphia and Trevor are a bit outclassed by their damphir friend.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-17, 03:57 PM
I'm unfamiliar with mystics. Based on the simple fact that I don't like them :smallwink: More accurately I don't feel they have a place in my game.

Zanthy1
2019-01-18, 07:53 AM
I don't consider the Mystic a viable option as it is still playtest material. If/when it becomes an officially published class, then I'll look into it. But as it stands, the UA version is pretty much overwhelmingly broken, and I would not allow it in my games.

I do like the idea of an eldritch knight with a dancing blade as his bond, though a bladepact warlock would be cool too

Mercurias
2019-01-18, 08:40 AM
Alucard seems like a Bladesinger to me, one that maybe took some fighter levels. Probably with some sort of Giant Strength gear. CHA is his dump stat. Terrible social skills. Probably the Haunted One background.

To me, Trevor seems like a Battlemaster Fighter/Scout Rogue multiclass that pumps Dex, has a decent STR, and dumps INT.

I’m going to say Sylphia seems like an Evocation Wizard. Sorceror could work, too, but I can’t determine what Bloodline.

Petrocorus
2019-01-18, 08:22 PM
To me, Trevor seems like a Battlemaster Fighter/Scout Rogue multiclass that pumps Dex, has a decent STR, and dumps INT.

I agree on the Battlemaster, it fits more than Ranger i believe.
IMHO He's proficient in Acrobatics and Athletics, probably Survival, probably Stealth, and Perception and maybe Investigation.
Though i'm not sure about the multiclassing being necessary.

I would say that Int is not his dump stat. His flaws are mostly character flaws, with an inability to relate to others, i'd say Wis is his issue.

He reminds me a bit of Sterling Archer in this. Not as bad, of course.

+1 on Sypha being a Wizard, even if Charisma is clearly not her dump stat.

EK/Bladesinger would fit well for Alucard indeed. But gosh this guy rolled so high on his stats!
And what race fits for him?

alchahest
2019-01-21, 05:31 PM
Sypha's people don't use books, at all - it's a plot point later on where she's like "you know, maybe we're idiots and should use books". Wizards are largely defined by their use of specific books.

I'd say she's a sorceror, who makes excellent use of metamagic. Given that she can kill vampires with frozen water I think it's not a terrible assumption that she creates holy water somehow. so divine soul is probably where I'd stick her.

Zanthy1
2019-01-21, 05:50 PM
Sypha's people don't use books, at all - it's a plot point later on where she's like "you know, maybe we're idiots and should use books". Wizards are largely defined by their use of specific books.

I'd say she's a sorceror, who makes excellent use of metamagic. Given that she can kill vampires with frozen water I think it's not a terrible assumption that she creates holy water somehow. so divine soul is probably where I'd stick her.

That was my thinking for sorcerer. Though I could also see Bard, for the flavor of teling stories and histories and such. A Lore Bard would seem fitting in that respect.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-21, 06:13 PM
That was my thinking for sorcerer. Though I could also see Bard, for the flavor of teling stories and histories and such. A Lore Bard would seem fitting in that respect.

Not a bad thought. While her people don't value books, they do greatly value lore. And her magic seems to come more from that lore than from an inherited trait.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-21, 06:18 PM

Also I forgot to comment on this. But I completely agree.

The fight when Alucard, Syphia, and Belmont get to the castle is one of the best choreographed fights I've seen in well anything.

It was dynamic, brutal, and Spell use was clever and interesting.

Petrocorus
2019-01-21, 06:25 PM
Indeed. I can see her as a Lore Bard.
But not really as a Sorcerer, because of this:

Not a bad thought. While her people don't value books, they do greatly value lore. And her magic seems to come more from that lore than from an inherited trait.
Totally concur. Her people use oral tradition, but they value learning and are kinda "bookish"and her magic is trained. She define herself as a scholar.

Also I forgot to comment on this. But I completely agree.

The fight when Alucard, Syphia, and Belmont get to the castle is one of the best choreographed fights I've seen in well anything.

It was dynamic, brutal, and Spell use was clever and interesting.
Yes.
And the first fight between Belmont and Alucard at the end of season 1 was already amazing IMHO.

Heck, the very first scene of the show with the dialogue between Lisa of Lupu and Dracula was already enough to sell me the show.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-21, 07:04 PM
EK/Bladesinger would fit well for Alucard indeed. But gosh this guy rolled so high on his stats!
And what race fits for him?

Without an official dhampir type race. I think High Elf does the trick apart from his monstrous strength, but I would't say that's core to emulating the character in D&D.

JackOfAllBuilds
2019-01-21, 07:15 PM
Without an official dhampir type race. I think High Elf does the trick apart from his monstrous strength, but I would't say that's core to emulating the character in D&D.

There is the MtG Zendikar supplement with a vampire race