PDA

View Full Version : Magic weapon for biters

Aaedimus
2019-01-16, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I thought there was like a maw that lizardfolk could wear that acted as a magic weapon for their bite attack???

I don't remember its name? Or where it's from? Can't find it. A little help anyone?

VonKaiserstein
2019-01-16, 01:54 PM
Oooh, with the Lizardfolks penchant for self made things... what if you were to use magical arrows or bolts for teeth? Carefully remove the heads, use them to replace your teeth.

Bullet Tooth Tony.

Maybe offer the DM the idea that they come off in the target on a natural 1.

nickl_2000
2019-01-16, 01:54 PM
I know there is the Insignia of Claws from Hoard of the Dragon Queen, page 94 for unarmed strikes and natural weapons. Technically that would work for a bite attack to since that's a natural weapon.

I'm not sure about a bite specific one though.

Aaedimus
2019-01-16, 03:47 PM
That's what it was! Thanks!

saucerhead
2019-01-17, 11:27 AM
I don't see anything in Volo's about biting enhancers. A lizardfolk bite(1d6) already does more damage than a steel bear trap(1d4).

We have a guy in our group that thinks he gets to bite and swing a weapon every round with his first level lizardfolk monk. I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

nickl_2000
2019-01-17, 11:31 AM
I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

It is wrong. As a lizardfolk you have the option to attack with your jaws instead of a weapon attack.

once per day you can use Hungry Jaws that allows for a bonus action attack with your jaws and you get some temp HP if you hit.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-17, 11:36 AM
I don't see anything in Volo's about biting enhancers. A lizardfolk bite(1d6) already does more damage than a steel bear trap(1d4).

We have a guy in our group that thinks he gets to bite and swing a weapon every round with his first level lizardfolk monk. I'm pretty sure that's wrong.

It's not wrong, his bite counts as an unarmed strike. Monks, from level 1, can use Martial Arts to take the Attack Action using a monk weapon or unarmed strike and then an unarmed strike Bonus Action attack.

It is wrong. As a lizardfolk you have the option to attack with your jaws instead of a weapon attack.

once per day you can use Hungry Jaws that allows for a bonus action attack with your jaws and you get some temp HP if you hit.
You're confusing Hungry Jaws with their Bite racial feature. They can Bite whenever they feel like it.

Hungry Jaws is also once per Short or Long Rest.

nickl_2000
2019-01-17, 11:39 AM
It's not wrong, his bite counts as an unarmed strike. Monks, from level 1, can use Martial Arts to take the Attack Action using a monk weapon or unarmed strike and then an unarmed strike Bonus Action attack.

Aw crud, you are completely right. You can't use Hungry Jaws every round, only once er day. However, you do get the Monk martial arts with an unarmed strike and the jaw does replace an unarmed strike.

saucerhead
2019-01-17, 12:54 PM
My mistake guys. I was reading the lizardfolk abilities looking for answers, not the monk abilities where the answers are. Thanks for clearing that up.