PDA

View Full Version : Forge Domain - Can you Silver a weapon?

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 02:40 PM
So, most people that I've asked say that Life, Light and Grave are overwhelmingly the best Domains for Curse of Strahd.

After giving it some thought, is the best Domain actually Forge?

My reasoning is really simple:

Silvering a weapon costs 100GP, right? So if you offer up 100GP in offerings, can't you silver any weapon as part of Forge's channel divinity feature?

Take the Fighter's Hand Crossbow, Longsword toss some coins on top of it, cook it on a low simmer for an hour... Silvered Hand Crossbow.

Note that, word for word, "This cost represents not only the price of the silver, but the time and expertise needed to add silver to the weapon without making it less effective."

So... can a Forge Cleric create Silvered weapons? They are proficient in Blacksmith Tools, after all.

Theodoric
2019-01-16, 02:48 PM
It's probably up to the DM, as Artisan's Blessing explicitly crafts an item instead of altering one. I'd allow it, though; it fits within the cost limit and it doesn't break any mechanics as far as I'm aware. It's exactly the sort of interesting solution I'd commend my players for.

Except for the hand crossbow part. It's the ammunition you need to silver, not the hand crossbow itself. Silvering a bow just makes using it as a club inflict silvered damage.

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 02:49 PM
It's probably up to the DM, as Artisan's Blessing explicitly crafts an item instead of altering one. I'd allow it, though; it fits within the cost limit and it doesn't break any mechanics as far as I'm aware. It's exactly the sort of interesting solution I'd commend my players for.

Except for the hand crossbow part. It's the ammunition you need to silver, not the hand crossbow itself. Silvering a bow just makes using it as a club does silvered damage.

Listen, you never know when you'll need to pistol whip a vampire... :smalltongue:

Unoriginal
2019-01-16, 02:50 PM
If your DM says they are, sure.

As a DM, I wouldn't object to it. Though I wouldn't say being proficient in Smith's Tools is enough to know how to do it. It's just seems the kind of thing that a cleric of the forge would learn as part of the package.

I have to point out that you probably want to silver the ammunition of the hand crossbow more than the hand crossbow, if you want it to deal damage rather than just looking fancy.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-01-16, 02:56 PM
I would say no, the feature in question doesn't have the ability to alter existing objects, only to create new ones. Regardless of where the value comes from, a Silvered Weapon is always going to be above the 100gp cost so you wouldn't be able to create one from scratch either.

As far as this making it "best option in CoS" you might be surprised to learn that Barovia has several functioning cities within it and would probably have blacksmiths capable of doing the work for you, or at the very least you could commandeer their equipment to do it yourself.

Unoriginal
2019-01-16, 02:58 PM
It seems I've misread the OP.

No, you can't silver a weapon with Forge's Blessing, but you can get the silver for it and depending on the DM you may have the know-how to silver a weapon.

Douche
2019-01-16, 03:30 PM
Uhhhhhh.... how is a silver hand crossbow going to help you, other than being a sick CoD style weapon skin?

You'd need to silver the bolts.

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 03:35 PM
Uhhhhhh.... how is a silver hand crossbow going to help you, other than being a sick CoD style weapon skin?

You'd need to silver the bolts.

Would ya’ll quit starting at my admittedly glaringly bad example and tell me if I can silver a Weapon or not? :smalltongue:

Lord Vukodlak
2019-01-16, 04:07 PM
One can certainly make silvered ammunition.

Ganymede
2019-01-16, 04:08 PM
Wait... why would someone silver a crossbow when they could just silver the hand that holds it?

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 04:15 PM
Wait... why would someone silver a crossbow when they could just silver the hand that holds it?

There’s an actual twitter exchange between Jeremy Crawford and myself and whether or not you can silver a fist.

Unoriginal
2019-01-16, 05:00 PM
There’s an actual twitter exchange between Jeremy Crawford and myself and whether or not you can silver a fist.

"Asking for an adventurous werewolf."

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 05:12 PM
"Asking for an adventurous werewolf."

JC: You can silver a weapon, you can’t silver a fist
Me: Have you even tried?!
HC: See a doctor immediately if you have

LibraryOgre
2019-01-16, 06:49 PM
Listen, you never know when you'll need to pistol whip a vampire... :smalltongue:

This line is made best by your avatar.

GlenSmash!
2019-01-16, 06:50 PM

Haha! Nice.

Edit: "Man, I specialize in hunting black vampires, I don't know what the P.C. name for that is!"

jaappleton
2019-01-16, 07:03 PM

Criminally underrated show.