PDA

View Full Version : Fun Simic Hybrid Builds

SociopathFriend
2019-01-16, 02:41 PM
We're starting a new campaign in Ravnica and my previous concept was shut down because the store owner wants more Adventure League sessions for his store.

I'm not sure how Adventure League works but after getting a brief look at available races Simic Hybrid seems the most interesting. Any fun builds anyone can think of using those Enhancements? DM said we're looking at the possibility of going all the way to level 20 but we're starting at level 5.

The other party members I know for sure are:
Druid, Sorcerer, Bard, and Rogue
The Druid is going to be all about shapeshifting
The Sorcerer I believe is going to be a damaging type
Not entirely sure on the Bard given that he's a Bard and his player is erratic to begin with
And the Rogue is going to be big on throwing knives

Madfellow
2019-01-16, 04:03 PM
Well it sounds like your party needs a good old-fashioned tank, which means it's a good thing the Simic hybrid boosts Constitution. You could put the other boost into Strength or Dexterity, depending on your taste. Barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, and ranger could all work thematically for a soldier of the Guardian Project.

Crucius
2019-01-16, 04:03 PM
Looks like you could use a solid front line supporting the druid. Maybe a chimeric Totem Barbarian for advantage on the level 5 grappling appendages and biomod flavor. Attack combo would look something like this: natural weapon attack -> bonus action grapple -> extra attack prone shove, but your ranged party members won't like it too much, but chances are there are other enemies. The appendages also read as if they are grappling the enemy, keeping your hands free for a two-handed weapon at all times.

A Battlemaster Fighter could also work with the acid spray as a nice back-up for AoE damage.

Paladin might work, daddy crawford says you can smite on natural weapons. It would also give limited healing which is never missed. Not sure how the flavor of the Simic Combine would translate to a paladin though.

HappyDaze
2019-01-16, 04:55 PM
If you are doing an actual Ravnica game, the book has suggestions for which classes and subclasses fit within the Simic Combine (and, in such a game, it is almost certain that a Simic Hybrid belongs to the Simic Combine).

SociopathFriend
2019-01-17, 01:34 AM
Well it sounds like your party needs a good old-fashioned tank, which means it's a good thing the Simic hybrid boosts Constitution. You could put the other boost into Strength or Dexterity, depending on your taste. Barbarian, fighter, monk, paladin, and ranger could all work thematically for a soldier of the Guardian Project.

We had session 0 tonight and the Sorcerer has become a Warlock. I admittedly do not remember what the two new additions to the roster are playing but I believe one was indeed a Bard and the other was some other magic-user IIRC.

The guy who previously was a Bard went Fighter but seemed to be interested in possibly going Cleric so I dunno what he's going to be as I had to leave early due to broken pipes and limited transport.

However something I've only just learned today is that Climbing Movement is only 1/2 if you don't have a Climbing Speed. Simic Hybrid does if you take Nimble Climber at level 1.
So hear me out- is this a viable chain of events?
Step 1 - Attack action against an enemy
Step 2 - Bonus Action to Grapple via Grappling Appendages (Simic Hybrid level 5)
Step 3 - Spend movement to get to wall and maybe start to climb (Grappling still costs half movement)

End of turn - Enemy presumably spends turn trying to break grapple

Step 4 - Dash Action to climb up to 30 feet up the wall (Grappling halves movement so Dash is halved)
Step 5 - Release enemy (no action required)
Step 5 Alt - Jump off wall and use enemy to cushion fall

Looks like you could use a solid front line supporting the druid. Maybe a chimeric Totem Barbarian for advantage on the level 5 grappling appendages and biomod flavor. Attack combo would look something like this: natural weapon attack -> bonus action grapple -> extra attack prone shove, but your ranged party members won't like it too much, but chances are there are other enemies. The appendages also read as if they are grappling the enemy, keeping your hands free for a two-handed weapon at all times.

A Battlemaster Fighter could also work with the acid spray as a nice back-up for AoE damage.

Paladin might work, daddy crawford says you can smite on natural weapons. It would also give limited healing which is never missed. Not sure how the flavor of the Simic Combine would translate to a paladin though.

Barbarian and/or Paladin does seem like a sweet ride (particularly the idea of Smiting Tentacles) but I've been the Barbarian and Paladin a lot over the last few years so I wanted to try out Fighter. Not sure what subclass to go with but I'm leaning Battlemaster or Samurai.

I'd go Champion but... all it really does is make it more likely to crit?

Damon_Tor
2019-01-17, 01:43 AM
At level 5, the Simic becomes an excellent grappler if you go with the Grappling Appendages feature: you can grapple two different guys and still have both your hands free. Barbarian dipped into rogue is a really solid grapple build. One level in rogue gets your expertise in athletics, two levels gets you dash as a bonus action to move your cuddle-buddy where you want him.

The Simic's potential climb speed is very solid on a grappler: drag the other guy up the tree like a goddamn leopard. Or if you're in an urban environment (ie, Ravnica) there are likely to be buildings several stories high around, feel free to walk right up the side of the building and drop them when you feel like it. As an alternative, there are some interesting implications to the Manta Glide ability. Consider that a 15 foot drop will get you 30 feet of free horizontal movement. If you have a climb speed from another source (The Second Story Work feature of the Thief subclass, for example) then gliding is a massive speed boost: when moving you climb whatever trees or rocks or buildings are available and glide down, potentially doubling the distance you can travel using a movement action. It's also rad as ****.

If you aren't into grappling then you get +1 AC in medium or light armor, which makes you a great dex-fighter. It looks like your team needs a frontliner, so max out your dex and con, pick up a rapier and a shield and grab the Medium Armor Master feat at level 4. At level 5 in half-plate you'll have 21 AC and no disadvantage on stealth.

Don't get the Acid Spit. For any reason. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. "You know how the dragonborn's breath weapon is highly criticized for being so weak it's almost never worth an action? Let's give this new race an ability which is just like it, but they get it at level 5 and it's strictly inferior in almost every conceivable way."

SociopathFriend
2019-01-17, 01:57 AM
At level 5, the Simic becomes an excellent grappler if you go with the Grappling Appendages feature: you can grapple two different guys and still have both your hands free. Barbarian dipped into rogue is a really solid grapple build. One level in rogue gets your expertise in athletics, two levels gets you dash as a bonus action to move your cuddle-buddy where you want him.

Unfortunately we went with Point-Buy and I instead pumped my Str and Con up to 15s while leaving Dex only 10. Not rolling for stats makes it pretty hard to have as much multiclassing potential. My scores after adjustments are 16, 10, 17, 10, 13, 8.

Otherwise my only multiclass options are Cleric or Druid and neither seems entirely valuable with such a low Wis.
The plan as it is currently is requires I take Mobile at level 4 in order to get more worth out of being able to attack all opponents in melee, pick out the one I want, and then carry him away without reprisal. I'm looking into whether Sweeping Attack 'procs' Mobile on multiple opponents because if so that sounds very useful.

Don't get the Acid Spit. For any reason. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. "You know how the dragonborn's breath weapon is highly criticized for being so weak it's almost never worth an action? Let's give this new race an ability which is just like it, but they get it at level 5 and it's strictly inferior in almost every conceivable way."

Well you can use it multiple times before a rest- Dragonborn certainly can't say that.