PDA

View Full Version : Is there a core, non-spell means of converting damage to nonlethal?

SangoProduction
2019-01-16, 03:27 PM
I saw the Pain Taster PRC for Pathfinder. Pretty cool, all things considered. But in particular is its damage reduction, which doubles whenever you are subject to nonlethal damage. Not "you also reduce nonlethal damage by the same amount," but actual doubling. So, theoretically, if you could convert some of the damage to nonlethal, you can have the DR go entirely against the lethal portion, and boom you succeed. I guess you could also hold action to flog yourself with a whip for 1 damage, but then you take yourself out of the fight, and only functions once per turn.

Now, there are quite a few ways in Spheres of Might to reduce the lethality of damage you recieve. Indeed, with some (all?) of them, you can reduce elemental damage to nonlethal, and then DR can apply to it.

However, I am not familiar enough with core Pathfinder to be able to find sources of nonlethal conversion in the base game. Especially from magic items. There are so many magic items.

(I mean, the class is bad and should feel bad, and it also takes away your single class progression as its opportunity cost, and it's not a spell casting class....but such is the way of PF prestige classes. I am just curious.)

exelsisxax
2019-01-16, 03:55 PM
I saw the Pain Taster PRC for Pathfinder. Pretty cool, all things considered. But in particular is its damage reduction, which doubles whenever you are subject to nonlethal damage. Not "you also reduce nonlethal damage by the same amount," but actual doubling. So, theoretically, if you could convert some of the damage to nonlethal, you can have the DR go entirely against the lethal portion, and boom you succeed. I guess you could also hold action to flog yourself with a whip for 1 damage, but then you take yourself out of the fight, and only functions once per turn.

Now, there are quite a few ways in Spheres of Might to reduce the lethality of damage you recieve. Indeed, with some (all?) of them, you can reduce elemental damage to nonlethal, and then DR can apply to it.

However, I am not familiar enough with core Pathfinder to be able to find sources of nonlethal conversion in the base game. Especially from magic items. There are so many magic items.

(I mean, the class is bad and should feel bad, and it also takes away your single class progression as its opportunity cost, and it's not a spell casting class....but such is the way of PF prestige classes. I am just curious.)

The bold is false: nonlethal typed damage remains typed damage. DR will not apply to elemental damage regardless of lethality. Example: Frostbite (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/frostbite/)

Flesh wound rage power can convert damage, as can buffering cap but only for crits. Neither is good. An item of continuous ablative shield would be better, if insanely expensive.