PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items and Paying Costs Question

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone!

My group posed me an answer to a question I had earlier, but it doesn't sound correct to me. I was hoping you all could verify it or not.

The problem I posed to them was that I would create an item that would use "Create Lantern Archon" x amount of times per day/week/month.

When you cast Create Lantern Archon it requires you to pay constitution.

If I create that item with uses per day/week/month would I need to pay the constitution cost each time I activate the magic item?

thank you for any help you can give :)

Answer:
Yes it still costs ability drain each time I use it even on a uses per day/week/month magical item :p

Thanks everyone for the help

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-16, 06:13 PM
Going off the rules for Sanctified Spells from page 83 of the Book of Exalted Deeds, there are two considerations to keep in mind:

"The sacrifice occurs when the spell’s duration expires."
"If a sanctified spell is made into a potion, scroll, wand, or some other magic item, the user of the item makes the sacrifice, not the creator."

Thus the 1d2 points of Constitution drain would affect the user of the item at the end of the duration of the spell each time it is activated.

Armyguyclaude
2019-01-16, 07:04 PM
Going off the rules for Sanctified Spells from page 83 of the Book of Exalted Deeds, there are two considerations to keep in mind:

"The sacrifice occurs when the spell’s duration expires."
"If a sanctified spell is made into a potion, scroll, wand, or some other magic item, the user of the item makes the sacrifice, not the creator."

Thus the 1d2 points of Constitution drain would affect the user of the item at the end of the duration of the spell each time it is activated.

So they are correct then? An with this spell that has uses per day/week/month requires the cost to be paid each time?

Jay R
2019-01-16, 07:19 PM
So they are correct then? An with this spell that has uses per day/week/month requires the cost to be paid each time?

Yes. Every use of the spell requires the sacrifice.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-16, 08:03 PM
Keep in mind that, unlike ability damage, ability drain can only be reversed by magical means. So keep those Restoration spells handy.

Crake
2019-01-16, 08:57 PM
Keep in mind that, unlike ability damage, ability drain can only be reversed by magical means. So keep those Restoration spells handy.

Or bind naberius >.>