PDA

View Full Version : D&D Workshop

Scauting
2019-01-17, 04:10 AM
On tuesday next week I'm to give a workshop in 3.5. I'm planning to go through the base information and have the participants make their own (first) character. Does anybody know about workshops givin' in the past and about the common mistakes made in those.

Crake
2019-01-17, 04:44 AM
Uhh, just follow the steps in the players handbook? I feel like a workshop is a bit overkill for this, how long are you planning on spending in this workshop? Have you considered just giving the participants a copy of the players handbook?

Scauting
2019-01-17, 04:51 AM
Uhh, just follow the steps in the players handbook? I feel like a workshop is a bit overkill for this, how long are you planning on spending in this workshop? Have you considered just giving the participants a copy of the players handbook?

Yes, I have, but the asigment is to give a workshop spesifacly. Becouse I have been introducing D&D to new players in the scool they wanted me to do one about it.

Crake
2019-01-17, 05:35 AM
Yes, I have, but the asigment is to give a workshop spesifacly. Becouse I have been introducing D&D to new players in the scool they wanted me to do one about it.

Ah ok, are you a teacher or a student? I would honestly just basically take the introduction of each chapter and turn it into a set of notes that you can reference when explaining the different aspects of playing a character. If people are interested in DMing, that's a much more involved topic, so I would just recommend you tell them to read the DMG, as it has a lot of very good world, encounter, and NPC building advice.

Scauting
2019-01-17, 06:21 AM
I'm a student. To be honest, I had to think about what a D&D workshop would be. I decided to make it a 'build a D&D character' workshop. Explain what a character is, how you determine their race, class and personality, then explain the base rules and mechanics to them. Show them how I build a simple character and then let them work one out. I'm wondering though if it would be better if I just type over base parts of the core book in dutch and go through with how to make a human fighter. That's what I have always seen as the easiest to build and play and it would allow them to just learn the game while playing, from experienced players.

gkathellar
2019-01-17, 06:24 AM
You might want to consider using pregens (or partial pregens, with some information left blank so that you can still do some chargen stuff) to run some basic encounters. While character creation is a minigame unto itself, and a lot of people find it tremendously interesting, it's still not the game proper.

BowStreetRunner
2019-01-17, 10:17 AM
The Alexandrian usually has some good articles on subjects like this. Here's one On the Importance of Character Creation (https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/7737/roleplaying-games/legends-labyrinths-on-the-importance-of-character-creation) that might be helpful.

Scauting
2019-01-17, 10:45 AM
Thank you :)