PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Plants/Trees Are Objects Rules

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 05:26 PM
I could have sworn that the rules explicitly say that trees/plants are objects, but I can't seem to find them.

Could someone tell me where I can find these rules?

Thanks!

EDIT: Something about trees being objects and not creatures?

HouseRules
2019-01-17, 05:46 PM
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Plant Type are analogous to Magical Beast Type, while objects (regular plants) are analogous to Animal Type.

Thurbane
2019-01-17, 06:11 PM
I know when Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) is cast on a tree, it becomes and animated object rather than a plant type creature...

DMG p.87 details the AC, hardness and HP of a tree.

HouseRules
2019-01-17, 06:13 PM
I personally do not like that object (plants) become living Constructs, but then those are the rules.

Edit: If I were to house rule it then awaken object (plants) would become plant type.

Awaken an object (plant) makes if have Plant Type, but Animate Object the object (plant) has Construct Type. This is weird. you could also Animate Plant a Plant.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 06:15 PM
This type comprises vegetable creatures. Note that regular plants, such as one finds growing in gardens and fields, lack Wisdom and Charisma scores (see Nonabilities) and are not creatures, but objects, even though they are alive.

Plant Type are analogous to Magical Beast Type, while objects (regular plants) are analogous to Animal Type.

That was the rule I was looking for!

Thank you!

HouseRules
2019-01-17, 06:17 PM
That was the rule I was looking for!

Thank you!

It is Rule as Intended, not Rules as Written.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 06:18 PM
It is Rule as Intended, not Rules as Written.

:smallconfused:

What is RAW in this case, then?

HouseRules
2019-01-17, 06:19 PM
Only the quoted part is the RAW, the later statement I made is an interpretation of it.

Regular Plants are objects is RAW.
The Analogies are My Interpretation, and I considered that is how the Rules are Intended.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 06:22 PM
Only the quoted part is the RAW, the later statement I made is an interpretation of it.

Regular Plants are objects is RAW.
The Analogies are My Interpretation, and I considered that is how the Rules are Intended.

Thank you for clarifying.

Blue Jay
2019-01-17, 06:27 PM
I know when Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) is cast on a tree, it becomes and animated object rather than a plant type creature...

Her's the spell text:

An awakened tree has characteristics as if it were an*animated object, except that it gains the plant type and its Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 06:31 PM
Her's the spell text:

Note that there's nothing to stop you from casting Animate Objects on a tree, though.

Thurbane
2019-01-17, 06:32 PM
Her's the spell text:

Ah, I had previously missed that. Thank you.

HouseRules
2019-01-17, 06:48 PM
Note that there's nothing to stop you from casting Animate Objects on a tree, though.

It will count as Animate Plant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animatePlants.htm) instead if you do so.

Oops. Extending House Rules too much on the RAI.

Animate Objects would make Living Constructs (plants) with constitution score "still intact" as in it needs to be rolled.

unseenmage
2019-01-17, 07:07 PM
I thought Jowgen's green slime threads had the relevant rules quote about Slimes being plants and plants being objects for spell effects but now I cant find it...

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 07:12 PM
I thought Jowgen's green slime threads had the relevant rules quote about Slimes being plants and plants being objects for spell effects but now I cant find it...

Was this the quote you were looking for?

Slimes, Molds, And Fungi
In a dungeon’s damp, dark recesses, molds and fungi thrive. While some plants and fungi are monsters and other slime, mold, and fungus is just normal, innocuous stuff, a few varieties are dangerous dungeon encounters. For purposes of spells and other special effects, all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants.

Emphasis mine.

unseenmage
2019-01-17, 07:55 PM
That's half of it, thanks.

Right now I'm trying to pin down where plants are objects explicitly for spell effects.

Jack_Simth
2019-01-17, 08:53 PM
That's half of it, thanks.

Right now I'm trying to pin down where plants are objects explicitly for spell effects.
It's buried in the plant creature type description. Posting from mobile right now, so quoting and linking is tricky.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 08:55 PM
It's buried in the plant creature type description. Posting from mobile right now, so quoting and linking is tricky.

The closest I could find to that is this:

Plant Type

Jack_Simth
2019-01-17, 09:10 PM
The closest I could find to that is this:

That would be the one. It's the single most direct statement in the rules about normal plants being objects.

unseenmage
2019-01-17, 09:29 PM
Thank you both.

ColorBlindNinja
2019-01-17, 09:32 PM
Thank you both.

You're welcome. :smallsmile:

Menzath
2019-01-17, 10:09 PM
Well, stat blocks for tress are on pg.87 of the dmg, with an ac of 4 and hardness 5 I'd say they are living objects.

PrismCat21
2019-01-18, 06:54 PM
I personally do not like that object (plants) become living Constructs, but then those are the rules.

Edit: If I were to house rule it then awaken object (plants) would become plant type.

Awaken an object (plant) makes if have Plant Type, but Animate Object the object (plant) has Construct Type. This is weird. you could also Animate Plant a Plant.

It will count as Animate Plant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animatePlants.htm) instead if you do so.

Oops. Extending House Rules too much on the RAI.

Animate Objects would make Living Constructs (plants) with constitution score "still intact" as in it needs to be rolled.

Please show me where Plants somehow become Living Constructs. I have not seen it anywhere in the rules.

I also haven't seen the spell Awaken Object. The closest I've found to it is Awaken Construct, which deals specifically with Constructs, not objects. - There is also Awaken, which deals specifically with Animals and Plants.
Animate Object doesn't bring anything to life, it simply gives it mobility and a "semblance" of life. It can affect many different tings.
Animate Plants is a higher level spell and is much more restrictive in what it effects, so it makes perfect sense that its affect is more powerful. Why is the difference between different spells weird to you?
There are also the spells Animate Dead and Animate Rope. Are you surprised that they do different things...?

Animate Objects does not make creatures with a Constitution or Intelligence score. It makes Constructs, not Plants. It does not make living creatures or give the Living Construct type.

If you want to tell others about your own personal houserules, fine. Be sure that's what is stated though. You're still pretending extending your houserules to RAW, not just your own personal RAI.

unseenmage
2019-01-18, 07:03 PM
If plants are objects for rules purposes and one casts a spell on a plant that makes it a Construct then the, still living, plant is a living Construct.

Arguably, plants like trees with structural biology necessary to live could be caused to break their structure and summarily die because of the animating force.

Slimes and molds (which for game terms are plants) wouldnt suffer this potential weakness.

PrismCat21
2019-01-18, 09:27 PM
If plants are objects for rules purposes and one casts a spell on a plant that makes it a Construct then the, still living, plant is a living Construct.

Arguably, plants like trees with structural biology necessary to live could be caused to break their structure and summarily die because of the animating force.

Slimes and molds (which for game terms are plants) wouldnt suffer this potential weakness.

'Object for rule purposes' = object.
Living Construct is a specific type in this game. The spell you failed to list in your last post does not turn it into a Living Construct.
Would the plant even still be living in the most basic sense anymore?

unseenmage
2019-01-18, 11:56 PM
'Object for rule purposes' = object.
Living Construct is a specific type in this game. The spell you failed to list in your last post does not turn it into a Living Construct.
Would the plant even still be living in the most basic sense anymore?

Yeah, nothing about animating it as a Construct kills the plant. So it is a Construct that is alive, while not being a Living Construct.

Same thing happens if you animate a Livewood special material item.

Holya
2019-01-19, 01:50 AM
Animated objects are not classed as living constructs. Living constructs are a very specific type. There is no spell which makes a plant a living construct.
The spell Animate plant
You imbue inanimate plants with mobility and a semblance of life. Each animated plant then immediately attacks whomever or whatever you initially designate as though it were an animated object of the appropriate size category. You may animate one Large or smaller plant, or an equivalent number of larger plants, per three caster levels. A Huge plant counts as two Large or smaller plants, a Gargantuan plant as four, and a Colossal plant as eight. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

Use the statistics for animated objects, except that plants smaller than Large usually don’t have hardness.

Animate plants cannot affect plant creatures, nor does it affect nonliving vegetable material.

Now please go check the type of a animated object..

And for comparison animate object.

An animated object can be of any nonmagical material. You may animate one Small or smaller object or an equivalent number of larger objects per caster level. A Medium object counts as two Small or smaller objects, a Large object as four, a Huge object as eight, a Gargantuan object as sixteen, and a Colossal object as thirty-two. You can change the designated target or targets as a move action, as if directing an active spell.

Animate plant doesn't kill the plant as it specifically calls out being unable to effect dead vegetable mater. Animate object can animate the plant.. BUT it would kill it as it would become a true construct for the duration of the spell. Aka no con score.

So yeah.. Not living construct partner.. Stop trying to push your home rules

unseenmage
2019-01-19, 03:21 AM
Hahahaha!!

In one thread the playground insists that Constructs can be alive and not have Con scores while in another the playground insists that not having a Con score kills anything that becomes a Construct.

Classic.

Trees dont have Con scores either to my knowledge and slain slimes and molds are explicitly 'destroyed' just like Constructs and Undead.

I'm not saying Aninated Object plants have the Living Construct type. Just that they are still living things while also being Constructs.

Again, I refer you to the Livewood special material, which is so alive it can potentially have a dryad bonded to it.
Make it an Intelligent Magic Item and viola, it now also counts as a Construct.
Hit it with Animate Objects and viola again it's still alive and now a Construct.

Same thing happens to Animate Object plants.

Just wait until we stuff a soul into the Animated Object using a sliver of the Thinaun Steel special material, then things get real weird. Well, not that weird.

Weird would be Shapesand being able to become fully viable tree seeds. (Ooo! Or Wishfern flowers!)